Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Analysis of a one way signal?

targits

I am curious why they occur and one directional signals ,what’s going on with the machine?

I get a good signal turn 90degrees and it’s not there. Why does the machine not see it ?

And only a one way signal can it ever be good? We are told they are not good but is that always true?

Maybe I should dig to be sure ,it’s like halo signals I suppose but still bothered by em

Always deep iron?

The 90 degree turn, it causes a lot of really nice targets to be left in the ground.
Deep coins, it depends on your ground what deep is. But in my area it's 10" or better.
Coins on edge.
Targets in iron.
These are some reasons that a target may only give a good signal in one direction or one way.
One direction, and One way are also misunderstood phrases.
Let's say, One Direction: is the radius of a circle.
One way: is the diameter of a circle.

One Direction signal: you can get these if a target is heavily masked. I myself don't dig these signals. Not saying I never would, it's just that I haven't found the right site to dig these signals.
One Way signals: In my experience these are normally deeper targets or targets in nails. I almost always dig these if the target seems to be deep or if I'm in nails.

Doing the 90 degree turn in either situation above will almost surely give you no signal or a signal that sounds like iron.

Will you dig iron digging these signals? Yes
Will you leave good nonferrous targets in the ground by not digging these signals? Yes.

The Reverse 90 Degree Turn: You get that falsing sound when going over a target. Not a clean signal, circle the target and get a good tone One Way, dig.

There will be many that disagree with what I have said, I don't care. What I have said is a fact in my ground, In my test garden and in the field.

Why do some people believe that all targets that don't give a good signal when doing the 90 degree turn are iron or trash? Because they see some well respected detectorist on YouTube doing this.
This theory is easily disproved. Simply dig a hole and bury a coin on the edge of detection. Turn on the target and the signal disappears or turns to an iron tone.
Or put a coin on top of the ground with a square nail on either side. You will only get a good nonferrous tone from one way.

The 90 degree turn, it causes a lot of really nice targets to be left in the ground.
Deep coins, it depends on your ground what deep is. But in my area it's 10" or better.
Coins on edge.
Targets in iron.
These are some reasons that a target may only give a good signal in one direction or one way.
One direction, and One way are also misunderstood phrases.
Let's say, One Direction: is the radius of a circle.
One way: is the diameter of a circle.

One Direction signal: you can get these if a target is heavily masked. I myself don't dig these signals. Not saying I never would, it's just that I haven't found the right site to dig these signals.
One Way signals: In my experience these are normally deeper targets or targets in nails. I almost always dig these if the target seems to be deep or if I'm in nails.

Doing the 90 degree turn in either situation above will almost surely give you no signal or a signal that sounds like iron.

Will you dig iron digging these signals? Yes
Will you leave good nonferrous targets in the ground by not digging these signals? Yes.

The Reverse 90 Degree Turn: You get that falsing sound when going over a target. Not a clean signal, circle the target and get a good tone One Way, dig.

There will be many that disagree with what I have said, I don't care. What I have said is a fact in my ground, In my test garden and in the field.

Why do some people believe that all targets that don't give a good signal when doing the 90 degree turn are iron or trash? Because they see some well respected detectorist on YouTube doing this.
This theory is easily disproved. Simply dig a hole and bury a coin on the edge of detection. Turn on the target and the signal disappears or turns to an iron tone.
Or put a coin on top of the ground with a square nail on either side. You will only get a good nonferrous tone from one way.

I have found coins in those one way signals.
There seems to be rusted mass in the soil up against a coin which is standing straight up. This mass could be discriminated out and therefore blocks the coins from being detected.
Dig them next time and see what you find.

Last edited:
Go to your worst iron contaminated soil and drop a dime in there. If you get a signal at all, it will probably be only there in a few degrees of rotation. Some detectors may get a few degrees more, with some the signal will disappear completely. If you get a good one way signal in exactly the same place every swing I would recommend digging it. If it moves every swing, not so much.

I'm not sure what the definition is of " One Way Signal"?
Is it one beep only as the coil passes over the target or is it just you only get a signal from one direction?
I don't dig one beep only signals but definitely dig signals that I can get in only one direction.

I have dug one way signals, get a hit on one side and not the other. Swing right and get a hit, swing left and get nothing. Only to be pleased at a prize at one side of the junk. One of my best finds was found that way.

There are people who will say about this video…”I would’ve dug that all day”. Others will say “there’s no chance that’s a coin”. And everybody in between. Almost all of it comes down to experience on the machine in use, in this example it’s an Explorer2.

You knew that machine very well! Good job
Tony
You know I love that machine like a child Tony!😃 What’s your impression of the D2? You might know I’ve had some pretty shocking results with it so far in my tough places, just curious if you’ve seen any of the same?

You know I love that machine like a child Tony!😃 What’s your impression of the D2? You might know I’ve had some pretty shocking results with it so far in my tough places, just curious if you’ve seen any of the same?
I have been happily surprised with the D2 in tough ground as well. It goes beastly deep and gives a good indication of the target.
I need to find a better digging tool for those deep ones!
Tony

I have been happily surprised with the D2 in tough ground as well. It goes beastly deep and gives a good indication of the target.
I need to find a better digging tool for those deep ones!
Tony
Its quite surprising what XP has done with FMF. It had a couple strange quirks with TID in iron sometimes but according to some it’s designed that way. If they can re-do that “feature” and normalize it with the coming update it’ll be close to perfect. Ive always been a guy who judges a machine on my results in the field and holy COW! It has been amazing, I won’t lie. If that means I have to eat crow…bring on the bib!

Its quite surprising what XP has done with FMF. It had a couple strange quirks with TID in iron sometimes but according to some it’s designed that way. If they can re-do that “feature” and normalize it with the coming update it’ll be close to perfect. Ive always been a guy who judges a machine on my results in the field and holy COW! It has been amazing, I won’t lie. If that means I have to eat crow…bring on the bib!
that makes two of us I love this machine. Its like no other.

Maybe in iron it’s the sound not the tdi just a guess because I haven’t been out much.

I dug the one way signal ,it was 87tid and good audio . I was expecting something good but at over 12inches I found a steel spike of some age, maybe from the English civil war .so my curiosity it’s satisfied .90 degree turn also nulled it …..

I dug the one way signal ,it was 87tid and good audio . I was expecting something good but at over 12inches I found a steel spike of some age, maybe from the English civil war .so my curiosity it’s satisfied .90 degree turn also nulled it …..
Wow 12 inches deep, that’s impressive. Will you have someone check it for its age of that Civil War?
The null after turning 90 degrees usually indicates iron target.
On one way coin hits turning 90 degrees results nothing at all, a blank. Maybe my iron setting is a little higher than your setting.
Tony

My limited experience with the D2 is that it tends to sound off on iron with the full range of conductivity when I use my customized "deep HC".
For instance, the D1 will indicate iron with either with a grunt (iron volume) or high conductor reading that is above 95. I don't remember ever having a medium TID signal for iron with the D1.
If I got a mid-range TID in with the iron using my D1, it was guaranteed to be a non-ferrous target mingled in with the iron.
But the D2 will occasionally respond to the larger pieces of iron across the spectrum, fooling me into believing I have a non-ferrous target in with the iron.
I suspect that the behavior has something to do with multi-frequency.