Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

And Finally a little Bling....

JimGilmore

Made it out to hunt a little late so it wasalready H O T.
Fout 5 quarters 1 dime 2 nickels and 2 pennies and this trinket.Its a little rough since it must have been hit by a lawn mower and the shape was kind of a flat oval.

is that 14 k

There is 1 marking I cannot understand which looks like SDX0 the other sider of the band just before the mountig might have had a marking but had a look like whatever bent the ring burnished the mark off the ring.
SO its time for a test kit.
But the area of the ring where it had a mark that was sharp like a blade of the lawn mower may have hit it looked like the ring was one material NOT plated. Looks like gold to me. Has the sheen/color and no rough plated looking spots except where I used my little pliers trying to make it a little rounder and get a finger into it.

Looks gold to me too... it didnt flake or peel after getting wacked by the mower blade...:clapping: Hit it with a drop of acid just to be sure or take it into a jeweler..
Mud

The ring looks like it isn't flaking?? I would like it to be gold for you. It is still a nice find. It is shinny and sparkles. We are all cheering for your find to be gold... Z

is it kinda heavy?

No clue about heavy...It does weigh 2.7 grams.

No flaking the marks in the photo are from using a pair of pliers to straighten it, No plans to really keep the ring other then scrap...but pliers are not the rricght tool hehehe.

JimG.,

Just a few non-professional thoughts of my own regarding bent rings.

IMHO, I would take the ring to a jewelry shop for reshaping. They have the experience and right tools for the job.

Depending on your final decision on what to do with the ring, the following might give you some food for thought.

A mandrel with a very slow taper isn't going to make one side of the ring that much bigger than the other side. After all, fingers are somewhat tapered and not perfectly round either. The main thing is that a ring is reasonably round with no inside bumps to irritate and close to the correct size for a person's ring finger. And remember, flesh is forgiving too, up to a point ! ;) Also, I don't think the majority of rings we find are going to be bent, so tooling up oneself for this eventuality is probably not worth it.

Since my metal detecting focus has lately switched from coins to gold jewelry, I've been trying to accumulate information of all kinds on gold jewelry hunting.

If you are so inclined, I would appreciate knowing the following:

#1..What brand/model metal detector you were using.

#2..The detector settings.

#3..Type of ground (top soil, clay, etc.).

#4..Ground moisture level (had it rained lately ?).

#5..Ground mineralization (Low, medium, high) to the best of your knowledge.

Thanks for helping a fellow detectorist ! :thumbup:

ToddB64

last 4 golds for me all Tesoro's interestingly 4 different modals, compadre, outlaw, vaquero and cibola. would the other machines have found them I have to say no as the only machine that will find gold is the one in my hand, smart comment maybe its sounds like it but I think not :biggrin:

all except one had my disc at iron range, other was at tab. 2 with concentric coils 5.75 " and the other 2 with CSC's DD coils

easy ground that was dampish, one ring was on edge and a choppy signal. 2 sounded good and 2 didn't.

all were at sports fields.

some parks may have gold but its a odd's game for me if there is a lot of canslaw as in a lot of cans get lawn mowered it can be a lot of work getting it all out and well if I have nowhere else to go I will dig it but some parks are better than others in how much slaw there is, there will always be tabs even in the best parks.

Tesoro's except for the tejon we have to dig the tabs to find gold, I could notch some tabs with other machines but Tesoro's seem to find gold for me so guess that's what I will keep doing but not always have made some patterns to cut out tabs with other machines but Tesoro's find gold, and even though I am not real happy with their customer service now days, if looked after not much goes wrong with them, and by the time it packs it in it would have paid for itself :clap:

so that's some info but we all attack this differently and I might change plans depending on park conditions prevailing trash etc..

AJ

Todd, What AJ said is correct..
Any old rig that hits foil and nickels and tabs and pennys will do..top shelf, low end, no matter the settings or anything else...you are not hunting Gold... you are hunting locations of 'People that Wear Gold', and keying on those signals....

Everybody says you gotta hunt the water to find gold, and numerically speaking, that is somewhat correct..theres a few posters here that hunt inland dirt gold with above average success..Tabman, REVIER, and Southwind..BHLandstar too, although he's been busy for the past few years, and hasnt hunted like he once did, he found a lot of dirt gold....

Read a lot of posts from them and you will see a pattern...work the 'right' dirt and pull a lot of targets fast are your best odds..Hunt hard and often, the trash will show you the way...sooner or later, if a guy wants to find gold, you will...Let me warn you though, Successful and reapeatable Gold jewelry hunting is nearly a fools errand...you can find it at the edge of a parking lot, or at a garage sale like my Wife did yesterday...

She bought this for .25cents and rubbed my nose in it as you can imagine!.... worth $62.70 without a detector!
Mud

Thanks amberjack and mudpuppy !

All information is useful to one extent or another and I appreciate your time posting.

To hunt gold jewelry I'll be using my Compadre mostly, due to it's higher 12 kHz frequency and track record, although I might switch to one of the other detectors listed below on occasion.

In fact, I did find my first gold ring this year (Photo attached) using the White's Classic ll, after hunting for 9½ years in local parks with tot lots, jogging paths, baseball and football fields, basketball courts surrounded by grass, cornhole bag-toss and frisbe setups and one park with a bandstand and grassy knoll for seating ! I don't think this ring is very valuable, as it has no stamping anywhere.......probably an inexpensive little girl's ring judging by it's small diameter.

I had decided to take the White's Classic ll for a walk, as I hadn't used it in awhile. I had the Disc. set in "Ring Range" (Preset) and Sens. set at the P (Preset) position. It had been raining earlier, so the ground was moist. I was hunting over grass on a slight incline of ground near a basketball court when I got the signal and dug up the ring at 4-5 inches down in topsoil over clay.

I have found a few other pieces of jewelry in the past, a 92.5 silver cross pendant and some other inexpensive jewelry, but nothing was ever as exciting as my first gold ring ! That's what kicked off my serious interest in finding more gold rings and other gold jewelry and learning what it takes to be successful at it.

In previous years I've been harvesting coins, mostly clad of more recent vintage and there's nothing wrong with that of course, but I'm getting bored with that and gold never gets old ! Realistically, I know that finding gold jewelry usually doesn't happen that often and I'll still be digging coins and trash items, but all the while I'll be concentrating on tactics to find gold jewelry ! :detecting:

My current detectors:

Ace 250
Bandido ll µMax
Classic ll
Compadre
Gamma 6000

Happy Hunting Everybody !

ToddB64

For the last year or two I spent my time looking for gold in the desert. Now i always found some color but its not even an ounce yet. I admit I most likely did less than 1/4 the work most others would do. So I do not feel bad about having a small poke. After all I am on full disability. This year I have been trying to get my finances back in order. And my wifes car died so rather than being in the desert I am playing chaffure. But I do find detecting in the park more fulfilling. After all whatever I find is spendable. With the exception of rings and jewelery. So the parks are closer and hunts can still be daily if I wish. Though the temps here will soon restrict my time to early morning and evening when it gets cooler.
Finding Gold is a bonus.After coins pay the battery and gas bill. If I find enough. Hard to say exactly how much I spend on gas detecting ,but $25-$35 a month isn't bad for me.

I would start in the field area of soccer grounds etc.. on the field proper, less targets turn the disc down to iron and dig everything on the compadre and bandito try the 5.75" concentric coil on the bandito and you might be surprised what pops out !! but have to keep digging and not get discouraged :biggrin: the more I dig the luckier I get. keep to the small coils they seem to do better.

AJ

ToddB64 said:
Thanks amberjack and mudpuppy !

All information is useful to one extent or another and I appreciate your time posting.

To hunt gold jewelry I'll be using my Compadre mostly, due to it's higher 12 kHz frequency and track record, although I might switch to one of the other detectors listed below on occasion.

In fact, I did find my first gold ring this year (Photo attached) using the White's Classic ll, after hunting for 9½ years in local parks with tot lots, jogging paths, baseball and football fields, basketball courts surrounded by grass, cornhole bag-toss and frisbe setups and one park with a bandstand and grassy knoll for seating ! I don't think this ring is very valuable, as it has no stamping anywhere.......probably an inexpensive little girl's ring judging by it's small diameter.

I had decided to take the White's Classic ll for a walk, as I hadn't used it in awhile. I had the Disc. set in "Ring Range" (Preset) and Sens. set at the P (Preset) position. It had been raining earlier, so the ground was moist. I was hunting over grass on a slight incline of ground near a basketball court when I got the signal and dug up the ring at 4-5 inches down in topsoil over clay.

I have found a few other pieces of jewelry in the past, a 92.5 silver cross pendant and some other inexpensive jewelry, but nothing was ever as exciting as my first gold ring ! That's what kicked off my serious interest in finding more gold rings and other gold jewelry and learning what it takes to be successful at it.

In previous years I've been harvesting coins, mostly clad of more recent vintage and there's nothing wrong with that of course, but I'm getting bored with that and gold never gets old ! Realistically, I know that finding gold jewelry usually doesn't happen that often and I'll still be digging coins and trash items, but all the while I'll be concentrating on tactics to find gold jewelry ! :detecting:

My current detectors:

Ace 250
Bandido ll µMax
Classic ll
Compadre
Gamma 6000

Happy Hunting Everybody !

ToddB64

This is a great topic Jim and getting deeper as members pipe up and post!

I'm primarily concerned about the ROI on any and all of my hobbies..they gotta at least break even with the CHANCE for a profit....so that leads to the 'tools'...the Compadre like Todd mentioned is a well known gold finding rig, light fast, etc...clad or any other bycatch keeps me in the game until the gold shows up, and I get to know the area and potential of a site based upon the trash and drops...

I leave the house every morning thinking 'gold chains'...on account of they often get passed over and are a hard target to hear....not a solid WHACK like a ring...so thats my main target focus...of course, theres a lot of scrap involved...after a while, everything else is an easy find when a fellow is a chain hunter..chains can be HUGE and still sound like scrap!...Heres a few from the past 5yrs for inspiration..all found within 10 miles of my house....just to let you know they are OUT there someplace, so stay at it and think about your locations and the signals and focus!
Mud

I ever find a gold chain as big as the ones you show I have a smile for ure but alas...in all the years I have hunted i have only found small stuff or junk and lots and lots of junk....

Going to just add to this post a little... Made it out late this afternoon because it has been very hot and been 100+ almost by 9:00 am...
So far for the month here are my totals.....
1- $5 dollar bill found in play ground
1-counterfiet morgan dollar.
76- quarters
80-dimes
36-nickles
209-pennies
13- assorted tokens (different arcades and such)
5 -Keys
1-large broken braclet kind of kids jewelery I think
1- pair of sunglasses.
1-broken cell phone. think a lawn mower did it in...
3- different earrings....
total cash value so far....$35.89
maybe 5-10 more hunts before month is over....