Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

And we wonder why others seem to hate metal detectors

BillF

Weather was in the low 50's today so headed to a lot that had a turn of the century house on it up until 2 weeks ago. The first thing I saw was the holes-everywhere. Nothing filled, rusty cans and other junk outside the holes.

I've seen the same kind of destruction at my favorite fishing holes, I take along some plastic trash bags and always carry out junk.

Now it is almost impossible to do any kind of hobby without some jerks ruining it for the rest of us that are responsible and respectful of property.

I didn't haul out the junk this time, I just wasn't prepared for it.
This area is now just fields, I use a shovel to dig my finds but at least I kick all the dirt back in the hole and stomp it down when I'm done. This is uncalled for.

Could be wrong but the same thing happens this time of year over here in the UK,we find a massive amount of newbies that have had a detector bought for them as a christmas present after seeing these various treasure hunting tv shows,then they just assume they can go and dig on any piece of land.Of course in real life its nothing like that.

Prehaps the detector makers and retailers should get together and make some form of starter pack showing the basic common sense rules when starting detecting on what you can and cannot do and also basic things like filling in your holes.Of course you will always find some 'plankhead' that will still make it look bad for us and does not worry about anything,that i feel you will find in all forms of pastimes,sport or interest etc.

Favorite bumper sticker:
PLEASE HELP STAMP OUT---------------------people.

People today care about only themselves.

I lost 90% of my sites due to jerks like this with their shovels! All they care about is how much silver they can get in a year. And to top it off there are Chicagoland dealers who are selling them the shovel's? How stupid can you be and then you wonder why there are no more spot's that allow Metal detectecting! And don't tell me how neat a plug you can cut with a shovel as it still looks bad.

Same here, seen lots of holes either not filled or hapazardly/slopily filled-in and in park areas.
How'n the he!! would any sane person dig a foot deep hole in a park with pristine turf and just leave it?
Who are these people? What are they thinking? Are they idiots? No common sense?
Stupid is as stupid does. Greed knows no bounds!

I blame it all on those $%&'n detector shows on the cable channels attracting the masses to our hobby of which will be a certain percentage of ignorant Aholes.

Solatex said:
The other reason would be the show "Diggers"

I hate that show and never watched it again after the first time. It doesn't put us in a good light. Who sponsors that BS?

tabman

tabman said:
Solatex said:
The other reason would be the show "Diggers"

I hate that show and never watched it again after the first time. It doesn't put us in a good light. Who sponsors that BS?

tabman

Garret Electronics proudly sponsors the Diggers, I will never buy their products.

I agree with a lot of you. I've seen a number of good hunt sites closed down due to either sloppy digging or improper digging tools. Thy are in such a hurry to find that 'next great target' that they are really lax about filling their holes, or they are lazy about packing out their trash finds. I dont know how many times I have seen guys digging in parks or school yards with shovels that are more appropriate for relic hunting in farm fields or the woods. 'Nothing beats a long handled shovel for getting down to those good..deep targets!'. And they are so proud of how well they do that they post their vids all over Youtube. Then they get all offended when you call them out for using such tools in well manicured lawns.

I have been hunting for over 30 years and have made a lot of great finds, and rarely do i need more than a screwdriver or other small tool to make my recovery. We really need to police our hobby or risk losing even more places to hunt. Yes, there are a lot of newbies out there that need to be taught a thing or two about proper digging, but there are also a lot of old timers that have been hunting for years that just dont give a care as long as they are making decent finds.

They recently banned detecting at one of our parks because some mentally challenged individuals were digging out the hillside at an old bottle dump.
The parks officials knew it was a bottle dump dig but banned detecting for coins. Not anywhere near the same but it was all the excuse they needed.

I think "Diggers" has/is hurting the hobby for those of us that are serious about it. I've watched it several times and got so turned off by it that I won't watch it. Besides the juvenitle antics, the endless questionable identifification and "awsomeness" of the the targets, and the fact that they are being allowed to detect in areas none of the rest of us would stand a chance of getting permission ruined it for me. I wouldn't detect with anyone that acts like those two yahoos on a hunt. And, have you noticed that even though there are headphones plugged in, the audience hears a steady beep beep that seems to be totally unrelated to the movement of the coil? Granted it's for TV, but leave me out.
BB

All of the individuals involved in detecting shows are selling out at our expense ... Very sad.

I use the AT Pro regularly and think it's an excellent detector.

I've gotten great customer service from the fine folks at Garrett and despite sponsoring a show I despise, I'm not giving up their product.

You and I may hate Diggers for the way it's negatively affected the hobby, but all you have to do is look at the number of seasons made to know the show is successful. Sponsorship has undoubtedly been a positive for the Garrett bottom line or they wouldn't keep doing it.

So if Garrett decided not to sponsor the moronic antics of King Dufus and the Dorkmaster anymore, do you really think there wouldn't be another manufacturer ready to jump in?

Solatex said:
Were those folks running around screaming, rolling around, and talking about roundness in the hole?

ROTFLMAO!!!! Thanks, Solatex, I needed that howl. I'm quite sure the two guys you refer to with that comment, are respected detectorists and great guys....it's just unfortunate that there are producers pushing like a SOB for this kind of action in front of the camera. They're just convinced the average shmoe watching cable tv will turn the channel unless things are like a 3 ring circus at least half the time. I fully expect those two to don red bulb noses, clown wigs, and floppy shoes before long...if the show is even still in production

marcomo said:
I use the AT Pro regularly and think it's an excellent detector.
I've gotten great customer service from the fine folks at Garrett and despite sponsoring a show I despise, I'm not giving up their product.
You and I may hate Diggers for the way it's negatively affected the hobby, but all you have to do is look at the number of seasons made to know the show is successful. Sponsorship has undoubtedly been a positive for the Garrett bottom line or they wouldn't keep doing it.
So if Garrett decided not to sponsor the moronic antics of King Dufus and the Dorkmaster anymore, do you really think there wouldn't be another manufacturer ready to jump in?

I've had great customer service from Garrett over the years. Still have my ATpro as backup.

But, Diggers is nothing more than a half hour subliminal info-mercial for Garrett.
In fact when i ordered my ATPro a few years ago direct from Garrett, the customer service person told me they can't keep those things in stock because of Diggers and regularly run out of stock (that was back then).

Far as those two goofs on Diggers and Garrett opting out of that show which i doubt, i don't see any other copy cat shows at least with the popularity of Diggers with exclusive use of another company's detectors. The only show that comes close is Minelab who regularly has commercials on the Gold Fever show even though they use all kinds of different company detectors on that show. I have also seen Whites advertise commercials on all kinds of non-related metal detecting cable channels.

I see that Diggers show as the beginning of the end of metal detecting as we 'knew' it.\