Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

And we wonder why others seem to hate metal detectors

I hope the show turns around and bites them in the behind:biteme:

pics.... wow.... shocking.
Still to this day I can't understand one leaving holes and unwanted finds left on the ground.
Myself, I kind of take pride on how well I fill the hole making it look untouched the best I can. Like I take the extra to do it and kind of feel good about it. And I demand the same when friends tag along, and if they give me any grief about it, I'll fix it myself (sometimes they catch on) or they don't get to tag along with me anymore.

That Diggers show is so over the top. I think if they toned it down a bit they could really be ambassadors for the hobby. But they don't want to appeal to the dedicated detectorists'. In the long run it may hurt sales of detectors. You would think Garrett would be more responsible.

Apparently the antics of the clowns on Diggers and lack of ethics by some of those on other shows(a certain ex-wrestler comes to mind) is pretty much only condemned by those of us that actually enjoy the hobby.
I'm surprized by the amount of people that ask me if I act like those people when I find something, they think its charming. Then there's the folks that think I'm raping the earth and what's lost should stay lost.
I had one gent that came out one morning, walked across the street and started yelling at me about how I hunt at all hours and wake him up with the noise, making his dog bark,etc.
Usually at this I would yell back, and not nicely either but this time I just told him to calm down and stop yelling. I explained that I don't hunt at night, that this morning I waited until after 9 a.m. so as not to disturb anybody and I hunt with earbuds, so unless he looked out his window and saw me he wouldn't have any clue I was even there. As it turned out this calmed him down considerably he became quite pleasant to talk to.
As much as I've enjoyed this hobby over the years I'm getting a little disappointed with not being able to get into some places or the ones I can get into have been hammered to death by the local club like locusts on a wheat field. My gut feeling is that some of those club members could very well be responsible for the shoddy retrievals that cause so much trouble.

BillF said:
Apparently the antics of the clowns on Diggers and lack of ethics by some of those on other shows(a certain ex-wrestler comes to mind) is pretty much only condemned by those of us that actually enjoy the hobby.
I'm surprized by the amount of people that ask me if I act like those people when I find something, they think its charming. Then there's the folks that think I'm raping the earth and what's lost should stay lost.
I had one gent that came out one morning, walked across the street and started yelling at me about how I hunt at all hours and wake him up with the noise, making his dog bark,etc.
Usually at this I would yell back, and not nicely either but this time I just told him to calm down and stop yelling. I explained that I don't hunt at night, that this morning I waited until after 9 a.m. so as not to disturb anybody and I hunt with earbuds, so unless he looked out his window and saw me he wouldn't have any clue I was even there. As it turned out this calmed him down considerably he became quite pleasant to talk to.
As much as I've enjoyed this hobby over the years I'm getting a little disappointed with not being able to get into some places or the ones I can get into have been hammered to death by the local club like locusts on a wheat field. My gut feeling is that some of those club members could very well be responsible for the shoddy retrievals that cause so much trouble.

Yeah, a bunch detector'n club members can sure get on any one's radar screen real fast.
The only good news i can think of with clubbers is they likely fill their holes adequately.
Still, the ordinary run'a the mill citizen seeing a dozen or so guys digging holes in their favorite park is sure to raise eybrows.

The people who could do something about this misbehaviour, destruction and disrespect of property are the manufacturers and retailers of detectors. If they all put their heads together, they would, combined, be a reasonably effective and influential force. There are several ways they could do this, and they are only limited by their own lack of interest/imagination. The sad thing is, they dont seem to be interested in prolonging this hobby, just making a buck while they can. If this wanton destruction and misbehaviour keeps up, we will lose more and more sites, and few who take our hobby seriously will be able to hunt...anywhere. I'm sure sales are rising due to the influence of these rat-bag programmes and elements, but that will eventually taper off....the good guys will have given the hobby away, and all that will be left will be the yahoos who will eventually tire of their vandalism....so very few detectors will be sold, and the manufacturers and retailers will be out of business.....maybe then, those of us who have a store of quality machines in our cupboard/garage, will be able to quietly venture out again.