Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Anderson Neptune Handle - Carbon Fiber (T-Rex Sand Scoop) comparison

Stogger

I've heard over and over that the carbon fiber scoops were much lighter and tougher than wooden handles you can get to fit the T-Rex scoop. Since I have a severe case of tennis elbow (wonder where that came from?) I thought lets see if I can lighten the load by buying a carbon fiber handle. So I gritted the teeth and bought a Anderson Neptune Handle - Carbon Fiber (T-Rex Sand Scoop).

Here's what I found:

-Carbon fiber handle weighs: 660 grams or about 2 pounds. This one is about 45" long.

-Lowes handle weighs: 934 grams or about 1.5 pounds. This one is about 48" long.

So the weight difference is only 1/2 pound!

The Lowes handle is Item 147674 model 2421600, for $10.98. It is the heavier handle that has a metal tip that fits into the scoop. You have to drill the holes, just as you have to drill the holes on the Anderson Carbon fiber scoop. This handle lasted me a year of very heavy use without breaking. The tip is angled so if fitted in the right direction give you more incline and makes it easier to stand on the scoop to really dig in.

I've tried an aluminum handle that broke only after a couple outings. Then I bought a pine handle that also broke after the first couple outings. Then I tried this one that lasted me about a year of putting all of my weight into it pulling TRex full of water and sand from the surf. It never broke or splintered. After about a year the metal tip did eventually rust out and the I had to get another. So my opinion here is to go with the Lowes. The wood handle also floats and doesn't get hot in the sun.

I haven't tried the Anderson handle as I'm going to try to return it or resell it.

[size=large]You should have no problem selling the Anderson CF, They make some great products and the name will sell it for sure.
I think Carbon fiber is great if your a wetsand hunter, every ounce counts when your old. Me, I've been using the same (3) Fiber Glass handles
for Seven years now with hundreds of hours of use. Best investment I ever made besides the Excalibur.[/size]

Thanks for the feedback! I do hunt wet sand and in the surf that gets pretty rough at times. Only 1/2 pound difference made me think ehhhhh, not sure this is worth it. But the wooden handle + TRex gets rather heavy...especially after 7-8 hours of non-stop beach hunting. I'm wondering just how much difference that half pound makes? What kind of fiberglass handles do you use? Do you know about how heavy they are? Thanks again. Mike

I transposed the 660g = ~1.5 pounds, and 934g = ~ 2 pounds.

Also if anyone that has used the carbon fiber handles knows of a benefit I'm not considering, please let me know.
Thanks.

Actually that's a big difference in weigh. The automobile engineers are paid quite well for trimming even ounces off a vehicle. So one of them would have a math formula to determine the amount of stress & weight that those 2 pounds would save your body.
Just saying the math don't lie. Course the amount of pain of the cost is another matter.

Dancer

Cf handles are definitely worth the investment if weight is an issue at all.. or even if you hunt often or for long periods.
If the shaft is slippery when wet just put a few wraps of electrical tape on it for something to grip.
Not going to compare different brands. Some are absurdly priced and some are economical but they all originate from the same place.

If you water hunt often there are tricks you can do inside the shaft so that the upper end floats and the lower end will slightly sink. Great to use.

Several years ago I started using the 8.5 T-Rex with a Home Depot wood shaft. I cracked it after a couple weeks (YES, I had the grain aligned correctly). I gaffer taped it and it held for a couple years and I sprung for a CF Anderson. A year later (?) its like new and I hunt enough that it is worth it to me to have pro quality equipment. I don't notice a weight difference. If you don't hunt much don't spend much unless you can afford and want to.

If the Lowe's or home Depot Handle breaks, you can take it back and exchange it for a new one.