Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Anderson Travel Shaft for CTX

nagov

Thought I'd give a little update on the Anderson Travel Shaft I've been using now for 6 months. I bought this shaft only because Pete had on sitting on the side due to it being the wrong length. I'm 6'1" and wanted a longer than normal shaft and he mentioned he had a travel shaft that was a few inches longer than the norm so I jumped on the chance to get a longer shaft. I had every intention of just using this as my everyday shaft and had no real reason to break it down until the hurricane down here in Florida. I needed to bug out and didn't want to leave the CTX behind so I went about taking it apart I know some are concerned that this shaft will lock up and not be able to be disassembled after use but I've used this shaft almost daily for 6 months and only rinse the machine off after use....it hadn't been apart for 6 months and came apart with no trouble. Another plus to this shaft (and probably the one piece shaft) is the Carbon Fiber shaft is approximately 5 mils greater in diameter than the stock Minelab shaft material..... where the Minelab shaft will slip after a few months of use in the water, the Anderson shaft with those few extra mils does not slip. (Yeah, I lean on my machine for support when digging....bad habit)

Thought those that travel may feel a bit more at ease knowing you should have no problems using the Anderson Travel shaft for trips or for an every day shaft on the machine.

Cliff

Cliff,

Do you have problems with the joint loosening itself when you set the machine down? Also, did you have issues with the actual shaft being able to turn within your machine? I did, and continue to experience those issues. I did a review a few months back, and even included a video of the issues I mentioned. I have been real disappointed with this shaft. I wonder if there are individual manufacturing differences with each one and I just got a bad one?

http://www.findmall.com/read.php?86,2379251

Bryan, on the first day I had trouble with the connection (joint) loosening and I kept adjusting it at the clamp until I realized it was the joint. I snugged it up with my gloves on and that was the last time it loosened. As for the shaft turning inside the machine, NO I haven't had that problem. That is a problem I have regularly with the stock shaft but not with the Anderson. I actually have had to shim the stock lower shaft so it will not rotate inside the upper shaft. Could it be that your clamp (on the upper shaft) needs replaced? Those cams wear out especially if you use it in the water (sand) along with potentially the rubber pads inside on the clamping surface may be worn down too.

Cliff

Just call me Dew the destroyer lol. I never got mine to proper align when tight enough to NOT come loose. The instructions clearly says this shaft isnt for daily use.....but of course i, like Cliff, wanted a longer shaft out there to give me the length of my Xcal shaft. No sense in having a machine with a coil 1" longer and loose that coverage on the swing side.... or having to bend over loosing a ft distance at chin deep. When i went to remove mine for the first time to see if i could tighten it some way..... the THINGY at the end came off. It seemed to get stuck in the middle of the cam lock. Tightened it properly and reguled it. By that time i noticed it wasnt the male and female that was not tightening properly..... it was the glue on the CF for the male threaded end. Stuff happens...... or at least to me lol. BUT..... all that said id still say Pete has a great product and id certainly buy it as a travel shaft guys.... because i dont think this one can be beat. I ended up gluing mine so it dont come apart..... i didnt buy it as a travel shaft, but for the length and shes working well for me now.

Dew

Cliff, mine is too tight in the upper shaft, not too loose. When I insert it, it will not even turn. The looseness is at the thread joint. Can't glue it like Dew did because I use this shaft for backpack hiking.

Ironman....... i had that issue. mine was a little off if tightened it up completely the coil set sideways. BUT..... later i found the glue on the male threaded insert was loose. I found that out when i noticed even when tight the lower shaft wiggled up and down. Try using teflon tape. I did what i had to do with mine just because the sand ate up the threads....... and of course... I kept using the machine by setting the coin on the sand and moving it into position, so thats on me.