Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Andrew, can you tell me

Andy can

What is available in Canada that would allow me to overlay a new map over an old one, adjust the size of one of them, i guess. I have a Garmin 12XL, which I got with that in mind, but haven't achieved it yet. I have a book called GIS for everyone, but after I got into it, I disccovered everyone had to live in the U.S.

In most cases, mapping software knows no borders but the maps do ;-)
As for the maps, have a look at my comercial website - www.canadianmaps.ca I have topos for most of Canada. They are calibrated for TTQV software. They can be used with other mapping software but they would have to be individually calibrated (georeferenced). Now, even that TTQV can be used to calibrate "old maps", it has no function to display two maps overlayd on top of each other - only side by side. For that, you could try GlobalMapper... also avaliable from my site. In that, you can display several layers of maps and data and set transparency levels. Once the map is calibrated, the software will automatically stretch / shrink / whatever to display it in projection of your choice. Works really well but it's not cheap. Well, the trial is free so you can see if it does what you want.
Sorry if it sounds like a sales pitch. I simply don't know which other software can stretch / re-project maps but I'm sure that there is some out there that does it.

Andrew

So, TTQV software can be applied to an 1864 map, and it will determine the ration that the map is made in, and adjust long. and lat. to fit the size? Sounds like what I've been waiting for, how?

Not sure what you mean by map projection, do I go to four or more locations that I can reference on the old map? or am I working off the new map? I'm kind of starting at the beginning here. Is there a way to get the co-ordinates of those makers the government hammered into the ground all over the place? They would be good reference points.

I use Fugawi and I'm sure I could find a map I've already converted (added the modern day lat-longs) so folks could see what happens for the fun of it. Then maybe someone using some other software could do the same for the folks using that software. I wonder how many people are around already using something.

Just thinking... Guvner..

what site I should discuss the software on with you. Thanks for the patient explanation, I've got it now.

I take it Fugawi is the software for accomplishing this feat. What are the pros and cons of different software. Does your old map end up with long/lat lines on it? Do you manually put them on the map, or is it computed on?

Once the map is calibrated, TTQV software can display Lat / Lon or UTM grid automatically. Usefull if you want to print the map. When displayed on the screen, no need to display the grid - co-ordinates of the mouse pointer are constantly displayed.
Another raster map software that should be mentioned here is OziExplorer.
As for, pros and cons of different software, it comes down to personal preference and very particular needs. It's next to impossible to predict which of the unique functions you will be using the most.
As for OziExplorer vs. TTQV vs Fugawi vs. GlobalMapper, my very personal experience and opinion is:

Fugawi: I tried this software years ago. Found it to limiting when it came to displaying multiple data sets and data edits. I was trying to learn to use it efficiently and kept thinking that some of the features must be there and it was me who couldn