Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Andrew.

ronbo57

Thanks for your post. I was wondering if you were familiar with the Garmin Geko. As I am considering a first purchase, I think this unit is relatively new. I would be "Under canopy" most of the time. If you have input, thanks in advance.

No first hand experience withe Geco but, I was lead to believe that it's performance in the woods is below average. If you like GArmin, but don't want to spend $$$ on a new mapping unit, you may be better of getting (eBAy?) GPSIII+ or even 12XL. They should be a dime a dozen and are good performers.
Basic iFinders (Lowrance) are also cheap (new and used) and their performance is outstanding.

So I'm guessing Andrew is right on about under canopy... CBill let my kid get the Geko 101 that was part of the Explorer spring special and it works in my house too. (Away from the windows..) Doesn't say much for what kind of plywood they must have used on my roof but we won't go there..

The GPS III syncs right up to my laptop, I use Fugawi with it and it will probably keep me from ever buying another GPS since it has the major highways and byways across the U.S. already on it. Not sure where you live or if you even need highways... The basic Geko has no interface that I can see and takes 2 aaa batteries. Haven't tried rechargeables in it but the GPS III has them in it at all times...

The GPS III was $259 new but probably not available except at Ebay. There's a GPS III+ too but more expensive. Do a search like Andrew said and buy from someone with an impeccable feedback. (Probably over 50 positive feedbacks with none or almost no negatives..)
Just a lay person's view on Andrews comments...

Guvner..

Regarding the roof: They used good, dry playwood, with no metal in it:lol.
Dry wood has little impact on GPS signal. It's the moisture in the leafs / tree needles / branches / bark that creates reception troubles under canopy.

Regarding eBay feedback - for big ticket items I agree but for smaller stuff ... I have 16 positive and 1 negative. (my eBay user name is akalinowski) So, IF I was selling anything, you wouldn't buy it off me.
Well, I have low number because I'm not an eBay dealer and only sold few of my personal items. I got a negative because I didn't let one jerk to con me into sending stuff without full payment.
I'd say that buying on eBay, most importantly use traceable method of payment and preferably use your credit card - if things go wrong, your credit card company will stand behind you. Use PayPal. Also, if you are looking at buying new stuff, if it looks too good to be true...
Used stuff from original owners (they usually have low feedback) may constitute the best, real deals out there.
Than again, what do I know about eBay? Not much. I bought sold just few items. Still, my and my friends experience has been mostly positive.

Andrew

There are a lot of good people out there who might have only one feedback. I just prefer to have some history. I miss out on some nice things because of it... :(

Thanks for the information about the canopy.. That's very interesting.

All the best... Guvner..

how do you get the first feedback if everybody would follow a rule of buying only from people with 50+ feedbacks? Yeah, I know, it's just like with the "experience". "Experience" is the thing you get only AFTER you needed it ;-)
Saying that; I do not advise to lower that rule for larger ticket items. For small stuff...
Than again, I just looked up auctions for GPS 12xl (12xl is better than 12) and most sellers appear to have high feedback so the point may be mute anyway.