Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Android app for metal detecting

GoVidGo

I have a FREE Android app that's called GPS Essentials that I use a lot when metal detecting.

It pretty much gives a Google map of where you are and lets you pick 8 'criteria boxes' to also put on your screen, as you can see by the pic I posted. Took a picture of my Samsung Fascinate running it. I have the Google map on 'streets' but there is also a 'terrain' toggle that lets you show a look down of the terrain you are on.

On the pic you can see I picked some criteria I use a lot like: lat., long., time., target, sunset.
... and a few others I used as filler that I really don't pay attention too like bearing, altitude, location provider. There's like 50 to choose from, and some really off the wall!

It's awesome because you can then hit a 'waypoint' button and it will save the GPS location of where you are at on your map to go back later. Good for marking locations of spots you like. You also have a 'tracks' button that will keep track of where you were and plot your course that you took to get there.

As long as someone gives you the GPS coords to a location you can put them in under 'target' and it will guide you there!

I attached a link to a video... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6SKc5ebBQvc ...that a guy put on YouTube. Asyou can see, he put in the GPS coords of the 'lost town near Pittsburgh. Took me right there!

it's a great app!

Awesome,Thanks,very useful info!

I like it too. Like that you can choose from different coordinate systems. I like the UTM and MGRS.

I've been using BackCountry Navigator Pro (9.95) for a while and like it a lot, too. The ArcGIS topos are pretty good and free, as are the USGS aerials, Open Streetmaps, etc. I also bought the AccuTerra topos for it. I just have to remember to download the areas I need before heading out, as my tab is WiFi only, don't want another data plan. I also use Google Maps which gives spoken turn by turn directions, even out to some remote ghost town sites and old mining camps, etc.

I installed GPS Essentials, too- still checking it out, looks good so far.

By the way, I use NoteSync to keep my notes synchronized between my pc, tablet, and google docs automatically. So, if I take the tab to the library and add or edit notes, they get automatically synced with google docs and my home computer or vice versa. It's still fairly basic, not much formatting capability, but hopefully they'll add features as time goes on.

Now, if only I could find a program to do that with waypoints between the pc, tab, and my Garmin Oregon GPS, I'd be in heaven! (I export and import across them, but sometimes I add info into the Garmin while on a hunt and other times I add things on the home pc or tablet, can get confusing.)

I found the android application for diggers, which has everything you need.
And even more.
It's named "Treasure Hunter's Software".