Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Another 3.0 update question

I think it's fairly accurate on coins. Remember, the depth meter was designed for a coin sized target. A beer can or large target will show as much more shallow then it really is due to it's size.
I realize that, but thanks for mentioning.
👍

I remember seeing depth readings bouncing around after the first update, fixing the half dollar coin on edge concern. I can imagine that the depth algorithm became iffy once the face print to detect that edge on a half, influenced many other depth calculations. My machines, still running 1.5, seems fairly dependable in depth readings. I can't compare now though, so my memory may be fuzzy.

The depth gauge is accurate on a coin by itself but if another target is with it not so.The problem seems that the detector is just to sensitive and is taking the targets as one throwing the depth off you might try detuning when over several targets this well make it more accurate .sube

My NOX depth meter never was accurate since day 1 unless one bar but then I can tell by the double tone signal it is shallow.

Has anyone experienced problems with the depth indicator (or any other problems) after downloading the 3.0 update?
Absolutely. With version 3 depth indications are way off (compared to previous versions) and TIDs have shifted from V 2 and previous versions. These differences and the fact that the addition of 4kHz did nothing for me were enough for me to revert back to version 2. Happy now!

Absolutely. With version 3 depth indications are way off (compared to previous versions) and TIDs have shifted from V 2 and previous versions. These differences and the fact that the addition of 4kHz did nothing for me were enough for me to revert back to version 2. Happy now!
I did the same thing.

Now that's exactly what I had heard from another user who said don't download it. Of course there are many variables where it may work fine for some, so as not to discount other's comments to my question. I guess I should at least try it since I can set it back to the previous version which I didn't realize you could do with an update. But as the old saying goes..."If it ain't broke, don't fix it". Thanks!

A suggestion for when you revert back to a past, or even newer version. Do a factory preset (FP) before the loading, and another FP afterwards, once you get to the version you are aiming to keep and use. It might be redundant and one or both FP is unneeded, but I'm convinced it "cleans" out the old data from the registers which seemed to stick around without the presets. One FP is logical, and two can't hurt. jm2c

Now that's exactly what I had heard from another user who said don't download it. Of course there are many variables where it may work fine for some, so as not to discount other's comments to my question. I guess I should at least try it since I can set it back to the previous version which I didn't realize you could do with an update. But as the old saying goes..."If it ain't broke, don't fix it". Thanks!
Reverting back to version 2 firmware from version 3 is just as easy as it was going from version 2 to version 3. All the previous firmware versions are available with the latest Minelab updater software, which already have if you did the version 3 update.

I've heard a lot of people say the indicated depth is off on their machines with the 3.0 update.
I don't know if it's the ground, or variations in the coils, but on both of my EQs the indicated depth is much closer to actual/accurate with the 3.0.
(Still nothing like a CTX or ET....but much closer than previous versions.)
And I think the 4k hits much harder on silver. So I like 3.0.
YMMV.
As usual, the answer is: Test it in your ground under your hunting conditions/preferences, and go with what works....for you.
:)
mike

If you have a mixed signal, a low conductor trash near a coin and go to 4 khz, the detector will see the coin and ignore the low conductor. Try a pull tab and a dime side by side. Multi will see the tab and 4khz will see the coin. I found that interesting when I tried it.

If you have a mixed signal, a low conductor trash near a coin and go to 4 khz, the detector will see the coin and ignore the low conductor. Try a pull tab and a dime side by side. Multi will see the tab and 4khz will see the coin. I found that interesting when I tried it.
That's interesting

That's what I did --if a coin--I just dug it up & went on a swingin' & hopefully diggin' the next one--Well when I could treasure hunt! Long ago; oh so long ago! :sneaky: Ma
Ma, sorry to hear you're no longer hunting. You can do like me. I detect it, make my grandsons dig it, then I keep it. If you need a grandson, let me know because I have several to spare. One just moved to St. Peters, MO last month. Lol

Ma, sorry to hear you're no longer hunting. You can do like me. I detect it, make my grandsons dig it, then I keep it. If you need a grandson, let me know because I have several to spare. One just moved to St. Peters, MO last month. Lol

I am not able to even walk outdoors, let alone swing a detector! My diseases of COPD. Parkinsons & more have me unable to continue metal detecing since 2006 & then my brother was ill & He couldn't go detecting; so since he lived with me in 2006 & had to see the DRS often & I was getting more unable to do anything my self we were both on OXYGEN & then after his passing away in 2009 --I haven't been able to travel or go detecting but thank you anyway for the loan of a grandson --I have grown ones & g-grandsons are still too young except for two in their teens ! I am too weak now to take care of myself but do the best i can--COPD makes it rough to breathe & being where I am now the drs say they won't recommend oxy because of rules & my OXY level need isn't low enough but had 2 liters at night for many years until I moved out of South St. Louis County, MO & have less Med Ins coverage! Can't do much as far as cooking cleaning & etc until I am weak, tired & shaking uncontrollably--& Have swollen legs so I fall easily unless I am very careful--if I fall I can't get up by myself! But Hey being I am 85 & still living & typing messages on a Computer, I am not in too bad of a shape for an old lady! LOL! :giggle: I miss TREASURE Hunting BUT my Hunting Days are done & have been for many years! I live for Jesus & try to witness His LOVE & Saving Grace to all who will read & listen! God Bless you with your hunts in finding lots of goodies! Ma