Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Another beach run with the CTX

spdnj

Well I got to spend some more time with the CTX on the beach today. I was also lucky enough to have my hunting partner out with his new ctx which he picked up today. The first time out with the machine I was not really looking for deep targets, I was playing with various settings, getting used to the machine including gps capabilities, and looking for easy solid targets to mess around with and see how stable it was. The beaches here are pretty sanded in right now, have been all winter with the lack of storms, and with the water so cold fresh drops from the high tide line down to the water (where i hunt the most) have not started to really come around yet in any quantity. Today my focus was on deep targets, to see what this machine can do. Slowing down and seeing how it stacks up against my etrac and gt. Well as for the gt I had the opportunity to hunt right behind one today. When I showed up there was someone a beach over hunting the same area with a gt and a wot. I could not pass up the opportunity to go hunt the same area once he was gone to see if any deep targets were left. To my surprise I had no problem finding them. Everything I dug with the exception of a few targets was 3-4 scoops deep at least, and I have a pretty hefty scoop. I got a lot of pennies encrusted in thick black crud that had been there a long time. Some of the quarters I hit were so deep I actually started calling my buddy over to hear the signal and watch how far I had to dig to get to it. It was a blast. So one bad thing about what happened today was an issue I have never seen happen to the etrac. On several targets, with both ctx's, I actually found targets that could not be heard in pinpoint mode. You got it, the detector was actually out hunting its pinpoint capabilities. I thought I was crazy at first until I had my buddy confirm it. If you scraped away about an inch of sand from the surface the pinpoint would kick in. Without a doubt one problem people are going to have with this machine when hunting in the water is losing targets sinking due to the fact of how deep this detector can get them. I can not wait to get some waterproof headphones to try things out. The 17" coil will also be an interesting addition. The machine ran super stable today for me. When I first started out in the morning it was a little chattery but for some reason calmed right down. I was running 28-30 sensitivity all day, mostly 30, and the depth the unit got was impressive. Not just high tone targets, but targets down in the co2-10 range also. I am very happy with the performance of this machine on the beach. It is very solid and I don't think I could ask for more. Unfortunately no gold today, I again spent a significant amount of time on single targets changing various settings to see what would help make it sound better and what would make it sound worse. I actually found some setting changes to the machine which did the opposite of what I expected when playing around with some targets. No doubt with the playing I did I was able to get deep targets to sound better which increased my finds. I will post more on some of the settings findings after I get to do some more testing. Although nothing great came today below is a pic of some of the smaller items the ctx sniffed out, I must say I was also impressed with this stuff even though it was junk. The penny is just to give you an idea of their small size.
No one has been commenting on the depth capability of this machine yet but after today, with some tweaking, I know it does better than the GT with a wot and I am now pretty confident it did better than my etrac. I would love to put the two side by side on a hunt but I can honestly say, and I didn't think I would, my etrac will be accumulating some dust. I don't know that I really want to part with it at this point but I do not also see a need for it now with the ctx. Time will tell :)
Some details on settings that I did not mess around with: hunted discriminating out the bottom 6 ferrous lines and nothing else. Manual sensitivity of 28-30. Target trace and target pinpoint on. Just about every other setting I played with and tweaked to improve depth with some interesting results, more on that soon.
OH btw, it is awesome to be able to just spray the machine down after beach hunting and not have to worry about anything

Thanks for the update, this is exactly what I was interested in hearing about. I was hoping for this type of result.

Thanks again
BCOOP

Nice report,can't wait to get mine on the beaches. I though it would be too crowded at the beaches today to detect being Memorial Day?

Thanks spdn for sharing your first CTX test drive,

She's a keeper for sure for both fresh and ocean water, I noticed the same as you right off the bat fantastic stability can operate full manual sens in most areas.

You're going to like it for water usage, hums along even underwater no issues what so ever.

Congrats,
Paul (Ca)

great to read that beach report as that is where i am heading in the next few weeks
so sad that i have had to leave my targets in the ground as it has been baked by the sun and is rock soild i have marked them as they were good targets but at 11 inches and 12 inches i have just never seen anything that deep gosh i do hope there is something there when i am able to dig

Total waste for 2300 machine, I could do that with all metal on any machine, Lets hear about the the true meaning of christmas ..hype hype hype until we start crying.... Thats coming soon

marbien said:
Total waste for 2300 machine, I could do that with all metal on any machine, Lets hear about the the true meaning of christmas ..hype hype hype until we start crying.... Thats coming soon

So how long have you been using your 3030? Must be awhile for the intelligent comment you just made.

Thank you for the heads up: beach detecting is what I'am interested in. :detecting:

marbien said:

Man I am so sick of the negative BS! If you feel that way don't buy one. Swing your ACME XYZ and be happy but keep your unfounded worthless opinions to yourself. Unless you have been a feild tester then please by all means enlight us.

Let the troll be, he's just trying to get some attention. I welcome the all metal hunters on our Jersey beaches, they get all of the iron out of the way for us!!!!! I have tried many machines on our beaches, take an all metal to a beach here and :goodnight:

I hear ya mtwolf!-----They're (trolls) periodically "coming out of the woodwork"--feeling the need to bash & criticize.---It happens everytime a new top of the liner comes out from any manufacturer, not just here.------What it amounts to is just being small minded, jealous, envious----balls, I don't know WHAT their MAIN intent is or what they are trying to accomplish.----They are just trying to be a royal pain in tha ars I guess.--------Del
mtwolf2270 said:
marbien said:

Man I am so sick of the negative BS! If you feel that way don't buy one. Swing your ACME XYZ and be happy but keep your unfounded worthless opinions to yourself. Unless you have been a feild tester then please by all means enlight us.

Yes thank you spdnj There are alots of us; who like you have jump aboard and bought this detector. So any and all feedbacks is T totally appreciated by the majority of us ( minus the deadbeat trolls)

greenmeanie said:
You assume the guy hunting with the GT wanted pennies?
Maybe he was only digging for gold targets?[/quote

I hear what your saying but if you want gold at the beach you dig iffy deep penny targets. I will be the first to say after a night of digging 100 pennies you are done with them, and when hunting a meter machine will pass on a 36-37 reading shallow after scooping them up all night. But these targets were all deep, so deep and some so corroded they were coming up all over the scale. What I was really trying to stress with the topic is that the machine ran great on the beach and is very capable of going very deep. Read into it what you like.
And for the record nickels and quarters, along with trash were coming up. With how scarce targets are right now here I wouldn't be passing up anything

I was just saying I drive an 1hr 1/2 to get to the Ocean so I try not to deal with the high tone signals.
But what you say makes Since if you live close the the Beach which I wish I did :)