Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

ANOTHER BIG one? (LONG story attached!)

sgoss66

This morning, my hunting partner Mike and I headed out for another hunt today. We were BOTH supposed to be swinging Equinox's, but when we arrived, I realized I did not have my Equinox headphones (and since then, it appears I may have lost them from the back of my truck at our prior hunt -- UGH!)

ANYWAY, since I had no Equinox headphones, I ended up swinging the CTX today. I was disappointed, because I wanted to "compare signals" with Mike while both of us were swinging the same machine, to hopefully help him get better acquainted with his new unit. Turns out, he didn't NEED my help; he did quite well, on his own -- LOL!

Anyway, we DID still get to compare a few signals. One, was interesting...

Mike had walked up to talk to me, as I was locating a target. It looked to be about a 6" deep coin, and my CTX was suggesting wheat penny. So, Mike and I talked for a bit, and before we split up again, I said "have a listen, I have one here that I think may be a wheatie." He listened, and liked what he heard. I asked him what numbers he was getting...and he said "upper 20s, with some low 30s even." HMMM. That's odd; that would be right around a quarter reading, on the Equinox; so, I re-checked the target with the CTX, and I was still getting 12-41, 12-42, 12-43 at about 6-7" deep; likely wheat cent numbers. I told Mike something was odd -- as our machines were giving quite a different "read" on the same target.

Mike said "I'm going to stay here while you dig this, I'm curious."

So, I cut the plug, and the CTX showed the target was in the plug. But NOW, my machine was reading 13-46 on the target in the plug. So, I said to Mike "NOW I am getting a quarter signal -- the Equinox did a better job on this one than the CTX." So I stuck in the pinpointer and found the target, and out popped...

A 1919 wheatie.

WHAT? Now I was REALLY confused. It was "on edge" at 7" deep, so we just kind of shrugged our shoulders. So, I put the plug back in and fixed my hole, BUT.....I did the ONE THING you should ALWAYS do, and this should drive the point home...RE-CHECK YOUR HOLE!!!!!

As Mike started to walk away, I haphazardly swung the coil over my now-repaired hole, and started to move forward, BUT -- I got another high-tone, and 12-43 reading on my machine. So, I called Mike back, and said -- "We're not done!"

When he got back over to me, I re-dug my plug back out, and popped it onto the ground. Here's what Mike saw...

[attachment 356382 3-22-18halfinplugrot-small.JPG]

He said "OH, BOY!" And I said "what?" As I hadn't seen it yet. He showed me a BIG silver rim, and for a short while we weren't sure if maybe I had just dug my first silver dollar! Then, Mike said -- "there's another coin stuck to it..." Sure enough, I took a closer look, and saw this:

[attachment 356383 3-22-18halfinplugwithwheatrot-zoomsmall.JPG]

So, I took it out of the dirt clod for a closer look...

[attachment 356384 3-22-18halfonplugwithwheatrot-small.JPG]

NOW we knew it was a half dollar; a rinse with some water revealed that it was a 1920 Walking Liberty half...

[attachment 356385 3-22-18WalkerHalfrot-small.JPG]

Incidentally, that wheatie that was stuck to the half was also a 1920.

SO -- a very interesting dig. ONE, because it's my second half in 48 hours! And TWO, because once all three coins were out of the plug, it became more obvious why our two machines were giving us a different "answer." In "ferrous-coin" mode, which I was hunting in, the CTX will air test a Walker at 12-44/12-45. Meanwhile, the Equinox will air-test a Walker at 33-34. SO -- with two wheats also in the hole, including one that was "stuck" to the half, it now makes some sense why we were both getting readings a bit lower from our respective machines than one would expect for a half. An interesting dig, for sure.

The best part is that Mike was there, and got to swing over, both of the half dollars (today's and Tuesday's) before they were dug. It's always fun to hunt with a partner, and "checking each other's signals" has always been one of my favorite things to do, all the way back to when Mike and I started hunting together 7 years ago, in the late winter/early spring of 2011.

One last interesting tidbit. Two halves in 48 hours is NOT the shortest time span between two half dollar digs, for me. Seven years ago, I dug two halves within about ONE hour -- in the same hunt! And ironically, those two halves were the first two silver coins I ever dug! I can vividly remember how hard I was working, trying to dig my first silver coin while watching Mike get one or two or three every hunt, for several months! I was convinced I might never dig a silver coin! But, when it finally happened for me, it happened in a "big silver" way!

And, for the last "ironic" twist, this morning Mike and I started out hunting in that very same park I dug those first two halves in, almost exactly 7 years ago! But, after an hour or so, Mike suggested we move to another park that we've been to a number of times in the past (and I'm glad we did)! So, while I didn't dig two halves IN this park, this time, it's still kind of quirkly that a hunt at this park was "sandwiched in between" two half dollar digs in two days!

You just never know what's going to happen next, in this crazy hobby!

Happy hunting everyone,

Steve

Sweet!

So your first two silver coins you've every found/dug...in your life...were half dollars?
What are the odds of that!

Well done :thumbup:
:)
mike

Yes, Mike. First two silver coins ever, were a Walker and a Franklin half, in the same hunt! I have often thought of how highly unlikely that was!

I had gotten to the point where I was doubting that I'd EVER be able to dig a silver coin! LOL! I got serious about the hobby in late 2010; I hunted into the early spring of 2011 with a few different machines, trying to find one that I could "click" with. Meanwhile, my hunting partners were all swinging E-Tracs, but I couldn't afford one at the time. Eventually however, after at least a dozen hunts where everyone was digging silver but me, I turned to the "dark side," (LOL) and got as close to an E-Trac as the budget would allow -- an Explorer SE Pro. Those two halves were BIG TIME "ice breakers," and came just two weeks after the Explorer arrived in the mail. Explorers had been my go-to machines ever since, until I moved to the CTX in November...

Thanks, Mike!

Steve

Nice write-up Steve,congrats on the walker.

That's a great stack of coins you found there! I've dug V nickels sandwiched between Indian cents, and recently 3 Buffalo nickels with a single Wheat between them - some of these targets were definitely "blended" like yours was. No matter how you slice it though - it's still nice seeing multiple coins like that! :clapping:

Nice spill! I wonder if some of the halo from the corroding copper bled over the half?

Thanks, all!

ironman -- I'm not sure; could be. I will say that it makes sense to me that when you have to conductors "attached" to each other like those two coins were, you'd expect the potential that it would change the way current flows in that mass of metal -- and thus how the machine reads them.

I thought it was really interesting, and quite interesting to see how both machines read this "scenario." Further, it was interesting how popping the plug (and thus changing the "angle" of the coins with respect to the coil, and thus which "face" of which coin that was being "illuminated" by the machine, all led to differences in how the machines were reading the coins...

Steve

Great story Steve,that’s incredible on all accounts,but not. I ran into the exact same thing last fall...wheat penny signal but skewed to a 6-42 in High Trash. Took a few wheat pennies out before seeing the “big rim”...a Walker. You just never know,and you did right by scooping the first wheat before discovering the rest! For as many multiples as we’ve dug in the past,it gives us every reason to investigate to the side of caution,meaning....if there’s a chance to find something good,dig.
I’m glad you’re enjoying your time out hunting,finding stuff like THAT makes it a lot more so. Now....on to that elusive dollar!:)
Good luck on the next my friend...

Great finds and great writeup! Love the in-situ pics! Your walker is a beaut.

Keep it up Steve your going to get me to get the pickaxe out and trash the frozen ground. :rage::rage: sube

Don't you just love it when you dig an old coin and find out you coin has more friends in the same hole:thumbup: Congrats on your finds and I hope you find your head phones :cheers: :detecting:

Randy --

THANKS. Yep, nothing better than multiple oldies in the same plug!

No luck with the headphones. :rant:

I'm in contact with Minelab. hoping somehow to secure replacements; the headphones I can get aftermarket, if I have to. The WM08, though, is the tough one. Hopefully, they can pull a rabbit out of a hat for me!

Steve

Great write up Steve love the way it turned out! A friend and I were hunting an old church site and comparing signals. I hit an Indian signal and he checked it and said it was a wheatie so I dug it and we were both right, it was a combo coin spill :shrug: I believe the count was 2 Indians and 3 wheats and both machines were ctx's
Hope you get your audio problem solved!
Laplander

Thanks, Laplander!

That's funny -- you were BOTH right! LOL!

Got my audio problem solved; found "aftermarket" headphones identical to the Minelab ones that come with the EQ 800, and bought a WM08 from a kind fellow here on Findmall that didn't think he'd ever use his! So, I'm back in business...

Steve