Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

another day another 75 cents

dfmike

Went to the same place I had luck last time with the Nox 600. After about 2 hours all I had was a silver dime and a few pennies. I went to the other side of the path and found a nice coin drop with a silver dime, silver quarter and the nickel close together. Not too far from there, another silver quarter popped up. I have detected this area before and I know a lot of people who have as well so finding silver coins is rare but finding two quarters in the same area just baffles me. How could I have passed those before ? One thing of note: I found the two quarters, one dime and the nickel near a recently fallen tree. That tree was definitely standing last year. Maybe it means nothing but quarters are so rare now. Another thing of note is that the easy targets are just about gone. None of these silver coins screamed at me with a clear double high tone and clean ID. They were all masked to a certain degree. I now dig everything that gives an occasional high tone (4th or 5th tone in my usual 5 tone setup) especially if I can get a clean ID both ways at certain angles. I dig more rusty nails and bottle caps but once in a while a copper or silver coin will come up clean once the offending target is removed. Also I find the horseshoe button to be invaluable in areas such as this. When I push that button and all I get is the low iron grunt and corresponding ID or the occasional high tone going crazy (20 to 39) and zero stability from any angle I don't dig.

I used the usual for silver coins in trashy areas: Park 1, 5 tones, recovery 3, sensitivity 23 and everything below 10 rejected. I use the 6" DD coil.

I'm going back there as soon as I can. Right now everything is frozen but temps should get back to above freezing for a few more days next week.

Attachments

• finds-dec001.jpg
    finds-dec001.jpg
    143.7 KB · Views: 71
  • finds-dec002.jpg
    finds-dec002.jpg
    140.5 KB · Views: 77
You had an outstanding day of silver! I’d be extremely happy with that hunt. Get off that beaten path and (if you can) from the edge of that path, scan length wise along both sides of the path. You may be surprised what else has been missed.

You had an outstanding day of silver! I’d be extremely happy with that hunt. Get off that beaten path and (if you can) from the edge of that path, scan length wise along both sides of the path. You may be surprised what else has been missed.
What's funny is that there are coins under the path which is made of crushed rock (poured by the city over whatever surface there was before). The problem is digging them up. One almost has to use an ice pick. Some day I'll put the bigger coil on and just do the walking paths with an old shovel I don't mind ruining. Copper and silver coins can still be found in the woods nearby so for now I'll continue digging in the dirt.

You had a great hunt…. Amazing how those targets have been missed in the past…. I think we have all wondered about that at times when finding coins in heavily hunted sites.
I know exactly what you are talking about in trying to dig through gravel.. I found a Mercury dime last year in a gravel road and have no idea how I got it out without damaging it.

What's funny is that there are coins under the path which is made of crushed rock (poured by the city over whatever surface there was before). The problem is digging them up. One almost has to use an ice pick. Some day I'll put the bigger coil on and just do the walking paths with an old shovel I don't mind ruining. Copper and silver coins can still be found in the woods nearby so for now I'll continue digging in the dirt.
In hard ground and especially gravel's.
I use these two tools.
The claw I made from a big old screwdriver.
Actually I use it most everywhere now.
It really claws thru gravel.
Made it for getting around roots.
The hand mattox is fantastic in gravel with the pick.
And excellent in sand with the hoe end.

Attachments

• IMG_20200124_185245108.jpg
    IMG_20200124_185245108.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 68
  • IMG_20200124_213455398.jpg
    IMG_20200124_213455398.jpg
    880.3 KB · Views: 59