Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Another Good Day Out With the Deus

Hunted a few hours today at a permission site with a 12K full tones program. This site was loaded with nails and I'd almost given up on one hole because of all the nails I kept pulling out of it. I covered and uncovered the hole twice before I finally nailed that slippery little merc. I used reactivity 2, silencer -1, 80GB, 90 Sens, TX-2 for depth but the power really wasn't needed--an adjacent site had deeper coins so I operated today under the same assumption.

The barber half is the most toasted half I've ever found. I was almost completed with the site and anxious to move on to the next site when a nice solid signal at 5 inches got my attention. When I pulled the coin out it barely had any hint of silver; what little there was only slightly existed on the rim. The coin was a very dark gray with some black mixed in. I couldn't see any detail at all until I put some water on it and could see the outline of the bust. During the drive home I was thinking I had a counterfeit until I got home and cleaned it up. Electrolysis didn't put a dent in it--only baking soda and elbow grease revealed what's left of the details. I can only guess that concrete corroded this coin, but I'll never know for sure.

I learned a lesson in patience today. I almost missed the barber half because I was anxious to quickly complete the site so I could start on the next one. The nails required me to stay very focused on sounds, so I was ready to trade this site for a quieter one. As it turns out, I spent the next hour and a half hunting the next site with only one wheat to show for it...so there was no need to hurry after all.

Way to go Beep! I know what you mean about working in a nail infested area--it wears on the discriminator between your ears. Your focus and persistence definitely paid off. That has to be the roughest looking Barber I've seen. It looks like it was in a tumbler with all the nails :blink:. Once again, good job on sniffing out the goodies.

Thanks for sharing the story and photos. ---Cladiator

Any Barber is a great find. Still looking for my first. Nice job wading through the iron.

A nice haul - congrats !

Awesome save Beep! Corroded or not, that's one coin I can't wait to uncover!

Very rarely do nails false in 12khz...even if it is a bunch of them. I remember once getting a funny signal next to my old driveway with the CZ6 and digging out a lot of nails, eventually I gave up on the target. I then came back with the Deus a few months later; and still pulled a lot of nails...and finally a silver Rosie showed itself after pulling I think 8 or 10 nails from the hole! Full tones does a better job with iffy targets, IMHO

Thanks everyone!

CZ, that was definitely the case yesterday--the dime sang out perfectly among several rusty nails of various sizes. Glad I was persistent :happy:

That big Crusty Barber is really strange! Sweet work! Thats a bucket list find for sure!:clapping:
Mud

I know, it almost doesn't look like silver...I had to really scrub hard with baking soda to get the surface crud off, otherwise you couldn't see any detail. But it's heavy like silver and sounds like silver, so I'm happy :)