Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Another gun found

jabbo

just 2 weeks after finding my first one. The first one was a pocket Beretta 22 cal shown here. Todays gun seems to be a 45 cal. Both found in the same river just downstream from 2 different bridges in central Jersey. Strange, I never found a gun before, then in the past 2 weeks I found two, both in the river. Seems like rivers are a good place for murderers to dump weapons. Also today, I found this solid copper container, handle broke off when lifting it up. Inside is an empty bottle inserted into a round bottle holder, bottle is stuck and won't come out and it looks like it had a cork in it. The other bottle is missing. The bottle holders are held in place with about 1/2 inch of lead poured into the bottom of the main container, the container is heavy. I don't have a clue what this container is. Maybe Rev War medicine chest? A Rev War battle was fought where it was found. Any info on the container is appreciated, it has no markings. That section of the river probably has more weird stuff and is only 12 inches deep with a stony bottom, will go back there again. The 45 cal gun was 6 inches deep in the stones/gravel and the container was partly visible when found. Jabbo

Wow dave,never a dull day at the river.... that copper thingy is very interesting... it looks like the top of the bottle has a grounded edge... i hope to read the follow up info on it when you find out what it is.... very cool find....

Booty, I hope to find out what the copper thing is. The bottle mouth is smooth, not ground, seems like a cork was in it. The round bottle holders are copper and sit solidly in a poured lead bottom, maybe so they don't shift and spill the contents. I have found several 1700's brass items in the river and they break real easy when bent. This container is fragile too, maybe from the 1700's. Seems like it was a special container made just for these two bottles. I will bring it to a museum nearby that specializes in 1700's stuff, maybe the museum curator will know something.

How cool is that? I have no idea what that case is, but it sure is something! Let us know what you find out...:clapping:
Mud

Dave, those are some extraordinary finds. Maybe the bucket has the secure footings for bottle/glassware to keep the contents from spilling around as patrons were served in the old taverns....or even for quick transportation from one dwelling to another ? I don't know, but the curator seems like the right place for starters. Congrats.

I've never found a gun before, just curious, do you keep it or do you report it to the police just in case it was used in a crime? Good hunting......

John, I gave the Beretta 22 cal to the police in my town. Badly corroded, don't know if they can trace it to any crime. Police sent it to the police station in the town where it was found. While I was at the police station, they asked for my drivers license and gave the license back to me before I went home. I will give the 45 cal to the police.

The museum curator said the company that made the bottles didn't exist in the 1700's. The bottle is marked, seen with a flashlight. He doesn't know what this thing was for. Could be one of a kind or maybe only a few were made. He said maybe mid to late 1800's. Jabbo

Still a cool find... people made whatever they needed back in the old days, walmart hadnt been invented yet lol... thanks for the update....

Found a pistol, deep under a sliding board at a tot lot. Bad part of town. Made my hair stand up. Took it to the Police, after brushing it off, discovered it was a starter pistol. Looked real. They gave it back to me. End of story.

In about 40 years of detecting I found only these two guns. Both were found in the past two weeks, when I started searching the river where a bridge crosses. The water is less than 18 inches deep at both bridges, but the river is wide with stony bottom, easy to search. Rev War troops were at both bridge sites so there could be some old goodies there. I wasn't looking for modern guns, but now it seems to me that guns are thrown from bridges.

Jabbo, be careful of those guns even in the condition they're in. Chances are that any round in the chamber will have gotten wet but you never know. I wouldn't point them in the direction of a person.