Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Another maintenance issue/problem!

tcornel

While hunting today I noticed my upper shaft was moving in the case that holds the pistol grip. I went to tighten a couple loose screws and they TURNED OFF IN MY HAND with virtually no effort. The part of the screw just below the top had narrowed (wear) and just turned off in the bottom. No way to fix easily as the bottom part is down inside the opposite side of case. Out of warranty. Can't get pliers on them to turn out. I supposed I could drill out around the sides of the screw until I could needle nose in there.

For now I asked Minelab for a repair estimate and put a stainless steel clamp around the shaft assembly and covered with waterproof electrical tape. It is solid for now. I am expecting Minelab to say I need a whole new housing. Of course that would mean a new arm cuff. Will the battery compartment fit or does that need a new upgrade and a new charger?

Seriously, how much could stainless steel screws increase the assembly cost? If your machine is out of warranty I would suggest taking out the factory screws and replacing ASAP.

You could remove the rest of the screws and separate the housings. This would allow you to easily remove the broken screw. That's all that Minelab would do, other than possibly replacing seals while it was apart. It's a good rainy day project.

They are SS screws, they were coated with black zinc was all.The problem is the sand has gotten inside the handle and wore the carbon fiber down where the handle meets the shaft, no matter how much you tightened it it would become tight, you over torqued the screws and they broke. The Minelab repair center has a mod that puts a rubber gasket around the shaft where handle attaches to shaft which stops the wear there. Call them and they will take care of it for you 407 388-3819. or 630 401-8165

I tried taking the screws out. The screws broke off inside the female side of the handle. I am waiting for a return call or message from Minelab.

Minelab repair center called me today and explained that the inserts are worn by the sand and that no amount of tightening will work. I suppose I could shim it but the repair costs were reasonable (under 50) so I will probably send to them to repair and put new grippers in the shaft clamp.

Over time, the wear becomes so great that the shaft will break. Best to have them get to it prior to that happening since at that time you would need a new upper shaft installed too.

Cliff

Thanks to all.

I did notice that this CTX did not have the rubber sleeve over the shaft that is on my later manufactured machine. It would appear that it became apparent that the rubber sleeve was needed to keep out the sand and they started installing at some point. The machine being repaired is about 4 years old and my other one is about 2 years old.

Tom

Get a gator bite tap and screw into the top of the rounded area and unscrew. Harbor freight carries the tap set. Cheaper than shipping and a repair cost.

Some of the early screws were not SS...

None of mine were SS so I just replaced with SS screws from a boating place... Never had an issue and done it on a few now...