Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Another Metal Detecting Show :rant:

GateKeeper

I just saw a preview of another metal detecting show on the Travel Channel called "Dig Fellas". It's premiering next Wednesday. How many of these shows do we need? How many is that now....4 in the last 12 months? I cant tell you guys how many of the sites I've visited where a home owner or a passer byer has made a comment about these people. I think it is better flying under the radar, not getting noticed.

I had a guy pull up to me recently and tell me he had watched Diggers. Really wanted to get a detector and find cool stuff.
He jokingly asked if I jumped around like they do. I politely explained the reality of detecting. Hours of searching for sometimes nothing. And no, jumping around. I wasn't trying to deter him, I just wanted him to know the truth.

Ya. I have a friend who has been watching Diggers too. He is thinking about getting a machine. I told him I have a spare he is more than willing to use to "try out the hobby before purchasing one". I told him he would be surprised how many holes he will dig just trying to figure out what the dang thing is doing. Then sooner or later he would start figuring things out and start finding some "stuff" but he isn't going to run to the local park and dig up super cool stuff on the first outing. But then again this buddy of mine is one lucky son of a "gun" and just might. Ugh!

-- moved topic --

Bill Ladd and How-wood I believe....:twodetecting:

It appears that the manufacturers are partially behind all these shows. I see one of them bragging that their machines are used on the show. There will be an initial large boost in metal detector sales and in a few months sales will hit the bottom as folks dispose of all those machines that did not find them the trillion dollar prize that the shows portray as being readily available to find. Some of the weaker manufacturers may go belly up when sales drop to almost nothing.

So Far I do not like the shows. They give the general public a very bad impression of how we conduct ourselves. At least I do not act like a complete Idiot when I make a nice find. I quietly revel in the joy of the find. Put it in my bag and go back to hunting. No running, screaming, breaking limbs off trees etc.

I have already had permission to detect a couples one acre lawn recanted due to the Gentleman having seen ONE episode of "Diggers". I had been told that Confederate Soldiers camped on that piece of property during the "Recent Unpleasantness". If after one episode that can happen what is going to happen when the general public watches a bunch of those idiotic shows?

At one time I was an avid Geocacher. Here in South Carolina we nearly lost the opportunity to geocache on public property due to One politician introducting legislation banning the hobby. It all came about due to one person hiding caches that required visiting cemeteries to obtain the needed information to solve the puzzle that led one to the cache. The legislature in their uninformed condition was poised to pass the law when a large contingent of geocachers showed up for the hearing and were able to get it shelved.

With Politicians always looking for ways to please some segment of society I fear greatly for the hobby of Metal Detecting. The shows do not allay my fears. Instead they greatly increase my fears. If some segment of society complains highly enough we WILL lose the ability to detect in city, state, county etc parks playgrounds and other public properties.

It is already illegal to detect in all county parks with the exception of the the three beach parks in Charleston County of South Carolina. They are afraid that we might find a "valuable" relic. Will the county government ever go looking for those "Valuable" relics? Of course not but they are adamant that they want to protect the history.

Unfortunately there are people and manufacturers that are willing to put the quest for the dollar ahead of the long term benefit of the hobby.

My Buddies at work know I metal detect. They have watched my videos on youtube and enjoyed them. When these TV shows came out I was actually embarrassed by them. No PRO acts like any of these guys on any of these shows. I just screamed at the TV. How could these so called PRO's "now actors" let this happen? The almighty dollar that's how. You better believe these guys know it's wrong to portray us in a bad light. Butt slapping, climbing trees even digging with Backhoes with no permission. Yes it's all an act. They need to run a huge disclaimer across the screen saying "Entertainment only - not actual results"
Here is probably the worst part. My Buddies that have never detected has fell into the trap that this is metal detecting. They will say "Man did you see what they found last night?" Or "All we have to do is rent a Backhoe and dig some relics" "Those one guys are funny" I get sick of trying to explain that this isn't how it is. Now I just distance myself from the conversations. Like I said - I'm embarrassed. Pretty bad after 30 years of responsible detecting a bunch of shows in a years time has tarnished this great hobby.
If a real detecting show came out I would be behind it.