Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Another mystery piece....

fwcrawford

I found this while searching around an old 1870's homesite yesterday.
I'm thinking it attached to the wall for some purpose judging from the design.
I appears to have a threaded hole in the center and part of a screw is still in it.
I'm also wondering if this could have come from a train passenger car since the landowner was a station manager for the local depot.
We found 7 railroad baggage tags in the yard there and this is why I'm wondering about the origins of it.
Thanks for looking and any help with ID it!!
IMG_0406.JPG
IMG_0407.JPG

Is the curvature deep enough to have held a mechanism? I thinking manual doorbell.

They once used a similar looking piece to cover the screw or bolt heads on wooden bed frames.A screw in the hole on top allows the thing to swing over to the side to remove the screw or bolt so the frame could be taken apart if desired.Just a wild guess off the top of my Swiss cheese head.

It reminds me of a wall lamp holder, from the Victorian era

Attachments

• albert-traditional-edwardian-or-victorian-wall-light-p1209-2251_medium.jpg
    albert-traditional-edwardian-or-victorian-wall-light-p1209-2251_medium.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 130
  • 0581942e-56f1-4da9-b76d-f10aa9816236_1.aa58b48bdd70ee1703903c549e2c8a99.jpeg
    0581942e-56f1-4da9-b76d-f10aa9816236_1.aa58b48bdd70ee1703903c549e2c8a99.jpeg
    44.1 KB · Views: 123
I am going to agree with airburst93 that it is a bed bolt cover. If you do a search for them, there are a lot more round ones than ovals. As for the center "screw", it may have been a decorative piece attached to the cover.

I did do a search for bed bolt covers and had have to agree that what I found does resemble them.
At this point I guess that is what it seems to be… thanks for all the responses and help!!

Before reading all the replies, it looked to me like the base for sconce lighting of some sort. And given it's size relative to that quarter, I still think that's what it is.

Before reading all the replies, it looked to me like the base for sconce lighting of some sort. And given it's size relative to that quarter, I still think that's what it is.
I was leaning towards that too, but the ones I see have two points for mounting.
The bolt covers for the most part only have one mounting point.

I was leaning towards that too, but the ones I see have two points for mounting.
The bolt covers for the most part only have one mounting point.
Given all the RR stuff there, it could have been mounted to allow it to pivot much like items onboard a ship....but I really don't know if they do that onboard trains or not.
1639838375329.gif