Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Another run at the old city park

Ronstar

Had some time this morning so whats a fella to do? Go back to that old city park and see if any more interesting coins show up!!!
I found that 1902 IH penny in a certain area so hoping maybe a little silver might grace the menu this time. First good hit did not disappoint either. The Legend was hitting strong on a 46 (but mainly 47) number so I dug. Right at 7” I saw a nice shiny rim poking out of the big clod I just removed from the plug. To my surprise it was a Merc in pretty decent shape and after a little water and easy dabbing I was able to see the date but without my glasses not the exact date. Out comes the magnifier and I see a good clear 1917!!!! SCORE!!
Now this find was about 20’ from the 1902 IH so common sense dictates I slow down and work this one area, I mentally put boundary markers about 50’x50’ and started in. A few minutes later I had another good 46 hit so in I went and expecting to see silver found nothing visually. Garrett carrot found a deep green disc and after a bit of cleaning I could see 1896 on the IH penny! How did I miss this the last time? Thats two about 25’ or so apart.
Suddenly I had an audience of young ones looking at me. After explaining what I was doing they just kinda flocked right up offering to dig or put the dirt back in, it was actually kinda fun all the questions (they averaged 3-7 in age). Mom was close by and watching but didnt pull them away.
I told them lets find a coin! Not even 2 minutes and I get another 46 hit and I’m talking them thru what it could be and I’ll damned if it wasnt another IH penny. It wasnt until I was home and worked on cleaning it that I could see 1900!!!! They were squeeling I found something and I was silently hollering “thats right I’m bad”!!!

Oh hell yes I’m going back tomorrow!! I also dug a totally crumpled disc that I was pretty sure was a penny and it ended up a 1919 wheat……

Attachments

• 831D5163-5175-4026-AC98-92FEFC2A11B6.jpeg
    831D5163-5175-4026-AC98-92FEFC2A11B6.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 116
  • 3F131600-EDFF-4E07-B429-2965BF7C39E2.jpeg
    3F131600-EDFF-4E07-B429-2965BF7C39E2.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 109
Had some time this morning so whats a fella to do? Go back to that old city park and see if any more interesting coins show up!!!
I found that 1902 IH penny in a certain area so hoping maybe a little silver might grace the menu this time. First good hit did not disappoint either. The Legend was hitting strong on a 46 (but mainly 47) number so I dug. Right at 7” I saw a nice shiny rim poking out of the big clod I just removed from the plug. To my surprise it was a Merc in pretty decent shape and after a little water and easy dabbing I was able to see the date but without my glasses not the exact date. Out comes the magnifier and I see a good clear 1917!!!! SCORE!!
Now this find was about 20’ from the 1902 IH so common sense dictates I slow down and work this one area, I mentally put boundary markers about 50’x50’ and started in. A few minutes later I had another good 46 hit so in I went and expecting to see silver found nothing visually. Garrett carrot found a deep green disc and after a bit of cleaning I could see 1896 on the IH penny! How did I miss this the last time? Thats two about 25’ or so apart.
Suddenly I had an audience of young ones looking at me. After explaining what I was doing they just kinda flocked right up offering to dig or put the dirt back in, it was actually kinda fun all the questions (they averaged 3-7 in age). Mom was close by and watching but didnt pull them away.
I told them lets find a coin! Not even 2 minutes and I get another 46 hit and I’m talking them thru what it could be and I’ll damned if it wasnt another IH penny. It wasnt until I was home and worked on cleaning it that I could see 1900!!!! They were squeeling I found something and I was silently hollering “thats right I’m bad”!!!

Oh hell yes I’m going back tomorrow!! I also dug a totally crumpled disc that I was pretty sure was a penny and it ended up a 1919 wheat……
Awesome

Were you running in 4kHz? Nice coins & good to show some children that there is other fun besides indoors/video games.

Good hunting there, Ron. Indians, early wheats and silver make for a grand outing. Now need to get a Nox over that ground and really clean it out. ;) Wish I was closer and I would volunteer. HH Jim Tn
I can help too

1666058680795.png

Nice old coins!!
I had a good feeling more coins were waiting for you 🙂
I can’t wait to see what else you uncover. Good luck!!

JCR, yes. I’ve been using HR’s coin shooting program with just simple adjustments like threshold and tone break. Basically this style of settings are working very well in this area. If I manually do GB I show 32-33 at this park. The University shows 28-29 in the areas outside the EMI HellZone so I’m still kinda in learning mode.

Went back mid morning and changed angles of attack. Dug a clad quarter and a nickel at nearly 6” and then dug a wheatie at 5”. Thought it was 1930 but when I got home and cleaned it up I found out it was actually 1910!!!!!
Going to hit it one more time and see what happens from yet a different angle. I’m thinking 1896, 1900, 1902, and now 1910 pennies is still a viable spot but only one silver dime tells me the spot was cherry picked……

WTG Ron, nice hunting... too bad ya didn't find a few zincs in the mix to hand out to the kids, they be like hey mom look what we found out treasure huntin..
Again nice job.. mark ( ohio )

Talked jkline into hitting that patch of ground where I’ve been getting those older coins. He brought the eTrac and I put the 6” coil on the Legend. Jeff took a wandering pattern thru the target area and didnt catch anything so wandered off in search of greater treasures. I switched back over and went in with the small coil.

I noticed I was getting a lot more 59-60 blips but nothing substantial. After a few of those I zeroed in on a 54 signal that kept reverting back to a mid 20s on the reverse swing. I dug, and out came a V nickel!!! Its pretty discolored but the date is visible with the loupe, 1907.
I hit another 57/58 and then 48 numbers and went in after it, that turned out to be a rather large horse shoe nail!!! I’m suspecting by its size it might be from a draft horse.
Next sweep in will be with the F75 when the weather breaks next.
(If you look at the top of the nickel you can see the date upside down, my bad).

Attachments

• 617A883A-EBB8-4B6D-A83E-AAE60FC12478.jpeg
    617A883A-EBB8-4B6D-A83E-AAE60FC12478.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 62
You are syncing up real well with the Legend!! Super nice score on the 1907 V !!

Nice finds I would think Indians would be all over there place with how long they ran.
Mark

Ron you got into some nice finds. I really enjoyed my Legend but for me it was too heavy and unbalanced. But then again, I'm almost as old as the dirt I hunt in. Traded for a 2# detector but it seems to be more complicated.

This park has been swept over by many detectors, just finding what I found was surprising. Now that the first snows hit last night means I’m having to wait for the weather clear up.
Im finding the Legend is a bit lighter than the F75 with same size coil. The 6” coil makes it seem like swinging a feather.
So far from that patch I’ve dug the 3 IH, one Merc, one V nickel, and that crumpled wheat. Just has to be another patch around there somewhere!

Excellent report Ronstar! It is interesting first hand experience. Marking off an area and attacking with a small coil is very good strategy. I think it had more to do with your success over the 800 though, than difference in detectors. I am looking forward to your hunt with the F75.