Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Another walking liberty half

poptop

Before today, I have only found two halves. The first one was a 1942 liberty, the next half was a 1968 40% silver Kennedy and then today another 1942 walking liberty. I was hunting a ball field that was once a school yard. The half turned up next to a sign post near the road. It was only five inches deep so I guess that it was raised from it's original depth by the poeple installing the sign several years ago. Everything else was clad, but it was still a joy to see some silver for a change.:clap:

For some reason or the other, I have seldom ever found a half dollar. I have always wondered if due to the weight of the half dollar they sink to a depth beyond the reach of our metal detectors or if less folks had them to lose in the first place...maybe a combination of both. If possible, please post a picture. Again, congratulations and please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

I believe you are right Kelley, not to mention because of it's large size, made it easy to see on the ground for the owner or others to find before it got under the grass. I heard a story once about a hound dog trained to point newly lost surface coins and other objects by the human scent left on them. The share cropper would take this dog to where major events were held to sniff out anything that was dropped or left behind by humans. I guess that was the first metal detector, if the story is true. Seems logical to me!

I will be getting a new camera soon (I hope), then I will be able to post some pictures. For the time being, I will just have to run my mouth. This was actually the first piece of silver that I have turned up in quite some time. My favorite finds are tokens. I can't explain it, but I would rather find an interesting token than a coin. My friend found an oval shaped one yesterday with a beaded edge, that I can't wait to see. I think I would have rather found that unusual token than I would have my walking liberty half.

I've been fortunate enough to find 3 gold coins in my years of detecting but have only found 2 Walking Liberty halves. Great find my friend!

I have found just two silver halves myself but they were both in the same interesting circumstances.I searched along a low retaining wall next to a high school where kids used to sit.The coins were on edge next to the wall.It is likely they slipped down next to the wall when lost and escaped notice dispite their size.I always check similar situations out now.

:super:Poptop,congratulations :clapping:on your second silver half.In the past year and one half,I was lucky enough to find 8 of them. The oldest being 1971.It's very hard to find silver around my fishing area. However I can on a lucky day find a token.:super: I also really enjoy finding them.It's amazing how many different kinds there are.
Thanks dirtstabber.:whites:XL-PRO