Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Any Air Gunners?!

TeenDetector97

I myself am an avid Airgunner. I hunt, plink, and love to participate in FT competitions. I have a Benji Disco, Marauder, 1377c, and 2 Benjamin Trails. I even have a small YouTube Channel with 2000 subscribers. It has been dormant for a few months, but i plan to post a few videos soon. Oh yeah, and I shoot Crosman Premier Ultra Magnums, and JSB Exacts.

I've got one I picked up last year. Nothing too fancy.. It's a Ruger Air Hawk that I ran across
at Wally World for $80. It's been pretty decent so far for a Diana 34 China clone..
I was just shooting it the other day at my dirt patch. I took the scope off and was trying the open
fiber optic sights this last time.
I've been trying a few of the different pellets.. About the only thing I really do is stick to
the heavier ones so it doesn't go supersonic. With the standard weight pellets, I'm just a bit
under the sound barrier so those are good for mine. I've been doing better with the wadcutters
and hollow points, than the pointed pellets. They seem to nudge closer to supersonic and seem
to get a little squirrely. I don't use any of the real light pellets that go supersonic with that rifle.
It'll do about 1150-1200 fps with the light alloys. Gets a tad funky. The standard 7.9 gr or so
pellets seem to be doing around 900 fps or so, plus or minus, which is just about right it seems.

Funny I found this as I just ordered a Browning 800 air pistol. It is the .177 as in ILL. A .22 pellet needs a gun card and I wanted something compact with enough power to take out varmits in the back yard. It seems as far as piston air pistols it has the most bang for the buck?

And I go for the "interesting" airguns-mostly FT & Benchrest style ....

I have a few more under the bed-one very rare military trainer in parkerized finish by RWS & a Hammerli AR20FT that is probably my most "interesting" gun...

I have an AA400 S Classic with Ginb stock and Leapers 8-32x56 scope which I use for HFT (hunter field target) here in South Africa, also a HW97K springer with Lynx scope for general plinking and bird hunting

I also have a Theoben Eliminator II in .22 cal with the hi PSI pump to adjust power.
It would put a .22 cal pellet right though a construction 2X4 with ease.
Wanted to hunt squirrels and such on my property.
All that power came at a price, had to rebuild it 3 times with blown piston crowns and one cracked stock.
Right now i have it at a respectful 1000 fps.

That thing also broke three scopes. Finally i found a RWS scope that would hold up.
But i hate scopes. Give me a good old peep sight and a post.

So i machined two adapters to fit a front post and a rear peep sight.
The rear peep sight adapter utilizes the original scope mounts to anchor it.

The front sight sleeve uses a bunch of set screws to secure it and makes it a little easier to break 'n load.
I machined a dove tail at the rear of the sleeve to accept off the shelf front sights.

http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o273/moparado/rifle.jpg

http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o273/moparado/Eliminatorironsight2.jpg

http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o273/moparado/Eliminatorironsight5.jpg

http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o273/moparado/Eliminatorironsight7.jpg

http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o273/moparado/front.jpg

Nice airguns!!!!

i use a RWS model 48 for varmint control...and occasional target shooting.

jughed440 said:
Nice airguns!!!!

I have one of them also, but i think its a 52 if i remember correctly in .22 cal. If i'm not mistaken the only difference between the 48 and 52 is the stock.
Really like that easy side lever kocking mechanism. It hits hard and accurate too. More than enough power to take out small varmints.

Back in the day, i just about wore it out. Had to replace the worn spring and blown piston crown. Not easy and dangerous too.
Since then i lube all my hi-powered air gun piston cylinders with dry moly - no dieseling whatsoever and increases accuracy consistency also. No more blown piston crowns and/or weakened springs.

Thanks for reminding me, just about forgot i had one. Gonna have to brush the cob webs off that 'ol RWS and annihilate some beer cans once the weather breaks, if it ever does.

ironsight said:
jughed440 said:
Nice airguns!!!!

I have one of them also, but i think its a 52 if i remember correctly in .22 cal. If i'm not mistaken the only difference between the 48 and 52 is the stock.
Really like that easy side lever kocking mechanism. It hits hard and accurate too. More than enough power to take out small varmints.

Back in the day, i just about wore it out. Had to replace the worn spring and blown piston crown. Not easy and dangerous too.
Since then i lube all my hi-powered air gun piston cylinders with dry moly - no dieseling whatsoever and increases accuracy consistency also. No more blown piston crowns and/or weakened springs.

Thanks for reminding me, just about forgot i had one. Gonna have to brush the cob webs off that 'ol RWS and annihilate some beer cans once the weather breaks, if it ever does.

I don't know the difference between the 52 & 48, but you're right about the easy sidecock lever and the RWS models being hard hitters. My 48 (.177) has snuffed out a lot of pests.. including groundhogs that had burrowed under my garage...and a raccoon that had been eating the cat food on the back porch. I suspect that it was the creature that got into it with the cat and inflicted it with a nasty infected bite wound.

The RWS 48/52 are recoiling spring guns that easily develop over 20 ft lbs. The RWS 54 is the same gun with a anti-recoil sledge system built into the stock. Its fairly amazing in that it has almost zero recoil felt to the shooter. Not so much for the scopes-it will eat anything other than a sturdy spring gun scope,

I just got a super-really-rare Sharp from Japan. Its is the Champion model and only made the 1 year with the peep sights & tailhook &palm rest with factory sling. I got lucky to say the least...
And under the Sharp is the RWS 50 parkerized trainer & a Smith & Wesson 77 that has full custom internals.

I'm shooting an old .177 RWS 350 Magnum that I purchased about 12 years ago. It's been an excellent rifle, but wish that I'd have gotten a larger caliber. It's a tack driver with 10.5 gr. Premier domed pellets.

Polekaat

Yea, I wish I could have got my Airhawk in .22. But I guess .177 ain't too bad if you choose the
right pellets. I think mine does better with pellets on the heavier side than light.. Keeps em subsonic
and more stable. With standard weight "7.9gr" pointed pellets, it was skirting supersonic and the
least accurate of that weight. With domed or hollow points of the same weight, had just enough
drag to keep them under the sound barrier, and more stable. It did real well with the wadcutters.

The Airhawk I have is basically a RWS 34 clone made in China. It's been OK so far, but time will
tell how it will hold up vs the German version.. But for the price, hard to pass up. "$80 at Wally World"

It came with a cheap 4x air rifle scope, but the last time I was using it, I decided to try the open sights
a while. They are the green/orange fiber optic type.. It's got an adjustable trigger, but I haven't needed
to mess with it so far. Seems OK..

This was it resting in my chair on the last trip up to the dirt patch. It's been getting some use, cuz .22
rimfire is scarce right now, I'm not shooting any of what I have. Been using the pellet rifle for all
my plinking and am sitting on the .22 ammo I have.

ee18.jpg

I also would prefer .22 over .177....but when someone offers a like new .177 RWS 48 for $125 :drool:

Beeman Webly Vulcan .177,old tech I know but powerful and accurate.Keeps on knocking out those nasty starlings,we get them by the hundreds in winter here.Nasty birds,figuratively and literally!