Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Any AKA users?

FschJg

Hi,

I wonder if we have other AKA users on the forum? I myself just got a Signum MFD with the stock coil and the 9.5"x10.5" three frequency coil and the 15" 3kHz coil. So if we have any Sorex, Signum or Berkut 5 etc. It would be nice to exchange some information.

FschJg

I had a Sorex Pro, I think that maybe,just maybe the best detector that I have used in that price range ----There are detector that are better,but for the money hard to beat -------I traded it because I had to wear my glasses and glare, I can not stand to wear glasses --- GH------after1------

I have recently been tempted to get a Signum with a 15'' coil for deep pasture work,had a brief try of one some time back,it was a very nice machine too use.Still tempted but what worries me is the support of these machines and that is the main reason i did not buy one.They may be the most reliable detector on the planet,but one of my main criterias when buying a new machine is the after sales support and that is not available here at the moment without sending it away.

So like I said, I own a MFD and today I want to put it to the test. In Russia, there is quite a hype about AKA machines as well as in certain forums. So I will put it to the test and see what it really can do. I think I start with a quarter 12" down. I will see what the MFD versus a v3i, Deus, Vista Smart and CTX can do.

Your test results with these machine will be something to see.Without ever using any of those but some reading on all, I think they will all hit it!!!!!!!!! Where is this location of the test?????? -----Have Fun-----Later---------after1--

I will actually place one at 12" and another at 14". Soil is low mineralized and it is burried under lawn. So kinda park mimic type of testing.

I have a quarters burried at 12, 14 ,16 and 18" im my garden. They are in the ground for almost 26 month now. So i think the test should be fairly accurate.

To shorten the story I went ahead and tested on the 18" quarter. Candidates were AKA Signum MFD with 9.5x12.5 three frequency coil, CTX3030 with stock coil, Whites V3i with Super 12 coil XP Deus with 28cm coil, Deeptech Vista Smart Plus with stock DD coil and a DIY Detector called Fortune M with a 10" DD Coil. The MFD saw the quarter but instead of a +64 VID it showed a -64 VID. The Hodo line was straight but in the negative. I would have never dug this target and mistaken it fir some round iron object. The CTX, V3i, saw the target but also no correct ID. The signal of the Whites was much stronger compared to the CTX. The Deus produced a signal but very, very weak. Kinda like a false signal when you bump the coil. The Vista Smart Plus, being only a two tone machine gave a high tone.. The Fortune M saw the target but also could not produce a consist ant VID.

BTW. all machines where tested with hot settings as much as possible. The CTX and Deus both were tested with and without ground balance. I will get a video cam and repeat the test and film it. So far, I was disappointed with the Deus. This machine is being hyped here in Europe but the el cheapo Deeptech Vista Smart was producing a much stronger signal. I also expected more of the CTX. Don't get me wrong, it saw the 18" target but the Whites had the edge. As far as the MFD goes, interesting that it showed the target ID correct but negative. I guess I will have to do more testing to find out whats up with that. I found it funny that my homemade Fortune M kit detector was right there with the big, expensive main brand machines. So for today I am done testing and so far my personal favorites are the MFD and the V3i.

Ohh I almost forgot, when I tested the Deus I tried all 4 frequencies. The lowest frq did produce any target responds at all. With the MFD, all 3 frequencies were even, none was better or worse. Funny but true.

FschJg from Germany

Uppos it should say The lowest frq did not produce any target responds at all

Hi FschJg ,

Seems that your GB "AKA MFD" was not correct, I have saw the same results testing my AKA MFT without a correct GB, if you have a piece of ferrite try to do the GB over it before to test it again, in my case this solve the problem.

Let us know!

Regards!

Thanks man, i will run the test again tomorrow. I was pretty sure the GB was done right. I had a flat line on the Hodo and the GB indicator, as far as I remember showed +0,3 degrees. So it should have not influenced the VDI that much. But again I will try again and see what the result will be.

Problem solved! My wife played a prank on me, She had put a large washer about 5" deep right over the the target. I was pulling my hair out since the 16" quarter ID was perfect but the 18" was way off. So she was watching me and suddenly started laughing and confessed. That's what you get when you have a wife with the same hobby. Just wonder why the Deus did not pick up anything ????

Fsc-----you have a cool wife,bet she loved watching you-lol---Good deal on the homemade detector. The aka forum is great,----------Very impressed with the Deeptech,and just because a item cost big money does not make it the best. ------------Thanks for the report------after1-------------------------

If you want to know quickly whether the GB is off it is simple. After doing the GB pass a CD (compac disc) in front of the coil. The Hodograph and VDI should be 0 degrees give or take 1 degree or so.

This is one method suggested by AKA and I included it when I wrote the manuals.

Of course if you are in the field then who has a CD in their pocket but at home we all do. Now you can't use it to perfomr a GB but ratehr just to insure the GB is not off when doing like a Ferrite or red brick GB. Red Briks work just as well as Ferrite and easier to find laying around. ferrite beads if not large enough can skew the GB actually...so I alwasy used and suggested red brick

Azah07 let me ask you a question on GB. The german translation of the AKA manual speaks of a hum sound when I lower the coil. Well with my machine it sounds like a bell, a positive target sound and not a hum like a threshhold hum. Maybe I screw it up.

So here is how I do the GB:

Hold the coil about 40cm above the metal free ground. Press the GB button and wait 3 seconds and lower the coil till it reaches about 3-4 cm above ground. The bell sounds one time and the line is more or less straight. Display tells me it is around 0.3 degrees positive. Is this the correct way?

This would be correct. I am not sure why the manual refers to a hum but I think they are meaning listening for the sound the threshold makes when you lower the coil. But what you listen for is the tinkle sound or bell sound it makes once the GB is done succesfully...which is what you hear.

If you are ever not sure it did it correct then like I said take a CD (compact disc) and scan it across the coil AFTER the GB. If the VDI and angle are 0 or close to 0 the GB was good.

I will never sell my sorex deepest machine I own, plus the hodograph is one of the greatest inventions in metal detecting. It's super reliable. Parts are easy to get I've had the distributor in Bulgaria send me parts a couple times. What I enjoy the most about the Sorex is the weight can swing it for hours and not get tired.