Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Any Etrac converts in here?

moseng

I will be ordering an Equinox in the spring time since it will be winter here shortly. I know it will be nice being able to cover more ground due to its fast recovery. And I KNOW it will be able to swing longer than I can now with my Etrac and sunray probe (The main reason I am getting an Equinox). Also, the water hunting will be a blast. While I am sure I will have fun with the Equinox I know I would miss the Etrac sounds. Can the Equinox be made to sound like the Etrac? I also know I will miss the sunray and as far as I know there is no solution for that. So while I'm waiting I wonder what it will be like using the Equinox?

I went out yesterday and I got an uneven but familiar sound on the Etrac that I knew was a deep coin, probably a dime. The numbers were somewhat erratic but I've seen them before so I knew my chances were good. I dug a D-plug, used the sunray and it too produced that faint uneven signal telling me it was in fact a deepie! I lesched it again, and then again. This time the sunray was a much cleaner high tone telling me that all the digging was going to pay off. I pinpointed again and at least 10" down was in fact a well worn 1917 dime.

Now, if I were using an Equinox, what would that dig be like? How would it compare to the Etrac? I also dug a silver toe ring, two wheats (1942, 1945), a 1953 rosie, and $1.18 in change. Several small pieces of aluminum can-slaw, and some pull tabs not shown.

Well.. I think the Etrac sounds sweeter... but to tell the truth.. the Equinox.. is a kick in the pants fun to play with!

I've used an Etrac for years. I also have an Equinox 600 that I run in two tone with the tone break at 22, which high tones on silver and low tones on nickels.

I think the Equinox is a good complement to my Etrac. After I hunt a site with the Etrac and find silver coins, I'll rehunt it with the Equinox to find masked coins that the Etrac has missed. The Equinox is also a good machine for travel.

If I could only keep one machine, keeping the Etrac would be an easy choice. It has a much more accurate depth meter.

I picked up the eTrac when they 1st came out and loved it, then the ctx came out and I loved it, now I have the Equinox and loving it. It Has been the easiest to pick up on by far and the new technology has always impressed me. By the way I sold the E Trac and the CTX is collecting dust JMO.
Jeff

laplander said:
I picked up the eTrac when they 1st came out and loved it, then the ctx came out and I loved it, now I have the Equinox and loving it. It Has been the easiest to pick up on by far and the new technology has always impressed me. By the way I sold the E Trac and the CTX is collecting dust JMO.
Jeff

Exact same for me. I actually held my E-Trac for a year as a "backup" but finally sold it as I couldnt see it just sitting unused. The balance of the CTX made the E-Trac a literal pain to use. Now its ALMOST the same with my CTX. I did actually use it a few days ago to mark building sites in my ghost town field.

If you have physical restrictions which limit your use of an e-series or CTX,they are off the table immediately,the conversation is over. If WEIGHT is a primary requirement and no sling/harness/bungee system has been satisfactory,the heavier machines are off the table....the end. If you have sites in which you are swinging half an hour between targets and your shoulder/back/sciatica/bursitis is flaring up...it’s over. The EQ will trump the heavier machines from purely a “can I swing this machine for a few hours” standpoint.
If Minelab were to sell their outstanding stock of CTXs and e-series machines and make an EQ with the features of the CTX incorporated into the Settings(you wouldn’t HAVE to use them,but they would be there if desired)....done. One machine would obsolete everything in the “general hobbyist” market. I understand it would require a melding of two similar, yet different, technologies.
I am lucky to have the health to be able to swing the CTX with stock coil for 6-7 hours with targets at 5-30 minute intervals at times. At some point I’ll pick up an 800,probably in the spring. When I got my Explorer 5 years ago,I was hesitant to think about the CTX,the EX2 was doing well! Then when I got the CTX it was game over,I’d do the work to resize pictures and show you,but you wouldn’t believe it. 2 of the guys I used to hunt with don’t go with me anymore,one uses a Deus and 1350,the other an ATPro.
Nope,it’s not all about ME. It’s about US,and what WORKS THE BEST for what we are looking for. I’m savvy enough to know that my parks and ball fields are gettin’ dead,and gold is the next logical target. This is what the EQ is for. The Explorer and X-8/X-1 combo is for when nothing else works. It makes a neat clothes rack for now,but selling that setup is OUT of the question anymore.
If a guy were to realize a need for a couple/few machines and was able to afford to have them,then by all means....collect away! I only have 4,so I don’t have a huge problem...yet. An e-series of some kind,a CTX and an EQ might be the perfect lineup...for ME. As long as YOU are having success in finding what YOU want to find,your lineup is perfect for YOU.

IDX, I tried to follow your post but need clarification on which machine you prefer for gold?

Having only used the NOX for a few months, I am still thinking the EXP II is better on gold due to the display.
But that is what I know and am willing to learn even at my age.
Tony

BigTony said:
IDX, I tried to follow your post but need clarification on which machine you prefer for gold?

Having only used the NOX for a few months, I am still thinking the EXP II is better on gold due to the display.
But that is what I know and am willing to learn even at my age.
Tony

Tony,I haven’t started hunting gold in earnest,but I have found some just by digging solid,stable low conductors with both the EX2 and CTX. These have been RINGS. Apparently the EQ is able to “hit better” on low conductors such as nickels and therefore gold,and would be the primary reason as to WHY I would want an 800. There was a test done by someone that showed ALMOST EVERY piece of gold he tested fell between 7-13 on the Ferrous side of the EX2. Is it conclusive? No. Does it help to narrow the odds in a site that has much trash of all kinds? IMHO,yes.
At 50 years old,I feel as if learning is an ongoing process every time I go out. I am not one to immediately JUMP just to JUMP,I like to look at things from a scientific and logical perspective,as no other means of learning has provided any conclusive and repeatable results. The operator has to be in tune with the machine,otherwise all is lost from the start. Working off a solid foundation which includes knowledge of basic detecting,how to tune a certain machine to a site for optimal results and having a METHOD to find what you’re looking for has worked for me. To dig a hole on every signal isn’t what I do now,or ever will. If one machine provides better results for YOU than another,it doesn’t matter how well it may or may not do for someone else,somewhere else. The EX2 is no slouch,I think that’s about the millionth time I’ve stated that,and it’s my absolute honest opinion...based on what I have seen it do for me.

I got the E-Trac from the get go when it first came out. Got the CTX too and now the NOX 800. Maybe because I’m getting old but I couldn’t get the CTX to give me those sweet deep tones and that goes for the NOX too. I still have all three and they all are great machines. In parks I still prefer my E-Trac with my Sunday probe (but still learning the NOX) . It seems to be easier for me to pick out the tones I’m accustomed to hearing over the years. If I’m in a spot where I can dig everything that sounds good I use my CTX. In heavy iron you can’t beat the NOX. At the beach my main detector was the CTX and it’s been sitting at home since I got the NOX.

So in my opinion I don’t think you will be able to get the same tones as the E-Trac but you can’t go wrong with the NOX:thumbup:

I went from the CTX to the E-Trac and now the Equinox 800.
I still have the E-Trac because I’m too lazy to clean it up and sell it. It has not been used since I received my Equinox last Spring..
There is no doubt my Equinox finds more old coins for me.. It’s deeper and lightning fast compared to the old Minelab dinosaurs.

I missed the E-Trac tones at first but quickly got over it when the finds started coming in.. I realized the tones didn’t matter..
Most of my silver finds with my E-Trac didn’t have that classic silver warble everyone talks about anyway.
The Equinox beeps when you get a deep coin. You just dig it and move to the next.

Bryan

All I would add is that the NOX will see things that the CTX and Etrac will miss due to masking. I have an Explorer II and an Etrac and the NOX beats them both inland and at the beach. Like Randy, I do miss the Etrac tones, but I'd rather miss a tone than a target any day.

Bill (S. CA)

Can someone point me in the direction of a video showing a good target being picked up by the EQ and the CTX will not see it?

IDXMonster said:
Can someone point me in the direction of a video showing a good target being picked up by the EQ and the CTX will not see it?

This was a goal of mine when I first got the EQX and I tried to do it, but it was so much extra effort to try to set up and film, and have to re-check every target with both machines that I gave up quickly. If I could have a test garden, that would be one way, but it simply wont work in my yard, I have underground power line on 2 sides and diagonally across the middle.

Bayard said:
I've used an Etrac for years. I also have an Equinox 600 that I run in two tone with the tone break at 22, which high tones on silver and low tones on nickels.

I think the Equinox is a good complement to my Etrac. After I hunt a site with the Etrac and find silver coins, I'll rehunt it with the Equinox to find masked coins that the Etrac has missed. The Equinox is also a good machine for travel.

If I could only keep one machine, keeping the Etrac would be an easy choice. It has a much more accurate depth meter.

2X This. Well said.

In fact. I put my favorite Etrac up for sale about 3 years ago and Bayard bought it. ( I think he must have a dozen of them :thumbup: ) After trying other things I missed my Etrac something fierce and bought another about 18 months ago. I think the Etrac and EQ compliment each other. I've been favoring my EQ800 much of this year as I'm trying to learn it. However, I have a lot of hours and success on FBS machines going back to 2000 and know what they can do.

I'm Glad I don't have to choose between the two.

Rich (Utah)

Thanks everyone. After watching some more Youtube videos on the Equinox I'm not so sure it's for me despite it being lightweight, faster target Id, and waterproof. I'm pretty sure I will miss the familiarity of the Etrac, its sounds and of course the ability to pinpoint the actual target in the hole with the Sunray. However, I will never know for sure until I try it for myself. I think Rich (Utah) put it best! :)

Rich (Utah) said:
.... I'm Glad I don't have to choose between the two.

Rich (Utah)

had the etrac for years also and the thing Ive noticed that even the deeeep targets have good vid numbers ....found one Indianhead at 11" so the 800 goes deep...I have a friend that I did a test with the Etrac as I fallowed right behind him
and found a wheat..2 nickels and an indian head that he missed...the Indian head was at 9" and before I dug it I had him check with his Etrac (and he's the one who taught me on the Etrac) and couldn't pick it up because of the iron..
I have tried the xp deus ..v3i..makros..and kept going back to the Etrac...but I don't think that's going to happen this time....Sold the E..

I very much miss my 1972 Olds Toronado BUT life goes on.
If you have a local mom & pop dealer see if you can rent one for a few days. A test drive is what you need.

HH & LFOD !
Tom

moseng said:
Thanks everyone. After watching some more Youtube videos on the Equinox I'm not so sure it's for me despite it being lightweight, faster target Id, and waterproof. I'm pretty sure I will miss the familiarity of the Etrac, its sounds and of course the ability to pinpoint the actual target in the hole with the Sunray. However, I will never know for sure until I try it for myself. I think Rich (Utah) put it best! :)

.... I'm Glad I don't have to choose between the two.

Rich (Utah)

The E-Trac is like a comfortable ride in an old heavy Cadillac as you stroll through the park after deep silver.
Very pleasant. (Except the weight and terrible screen).

The Equinox is a little rougher ride but MUCH faster with better performance.

The E-Trac Sunray probe combo is extremely slow compared to someone wielding an ultralight Equinox and Carrot.
I have experience with both setups and it’s not even close in my opinion..

Keep it simple.

Bryan

I tried the "Equinox 600"

I helped develop the "E Trac" from infancy (over 16 months) and built them in our Ireland plant for years.

That's what I'm using today! Can't beat those dependable TID's AND gorgeous Tones!"

Des D