Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Any fly fishers out there?

Canewrap

I was a fly fisherman, even before I got into detecting. During the winter I build fly rods and fix up old ones. I even build bamboo fly rods from time-to-time and that's pretty much all I fish with.

Canewrap,
I've been fly fishing for around 50 years or so. Wish that I still had that first rod my father bought me at sears & sawbucks...
I'm probably not considered a "true/real" flyfisher. I can't afford the requisite LL Bean fly-fishing attire or collector quality rod.
I'm happy with my inexpensive 8'6" steelhead rod & my 6'6" stream rod.
I started when attitudes were different, it wasn't about what you had, but that you had an interest in learning to fly fish
& the local rod & gun club wasn't a political organization.

I know how you feel. I build my own rods, don't have a scrap of the 'fancy attire' and belong to a pretty down to earth fly fishing club.

You don't need expensive gear to do freshwater either. You just need someone with a decent amount of experience to show you how to make best use of your money, like most things. Relic hunting, to me, is just dirt fishing. Just like fishing you need to know where to go, how to read your environment and have equipment suited to the task at hand.

I took up fly fishing two years ago.
I've gotten into tying, for bluegill and bass.

My problem is a good one: too many hobbies!

Yep, if I retired tomorrow, I wouldn't have any trouble filling my time. Photography, flyfishing, rodbuilding (bamboo flyrods from scratch), writing, and relic hunting. Between the normal time stealers (honey-do list) and responsibilities, it's a wonder I have time for the other things, but hey, who needs sleep, right?

Canewrap said:
Yep, if I retired tomorrow, I wouldn't have any trouble filling my time. Photography, flyfishing, rodbuilding (bamboo flyrods from scratch), writing, and relic hunting. Between the normal time stealers (honey-do list) and responsibilities, it's a wonder I have time for the other things, but hey, who needs sleep, right?
Exactly.
Gotta keep active your entire life. I'm spending my working years gathering all the things I'll need to kick off retirement.

Bicycles
Fishing gear
Detectors
Garden tools
Shop tools
Poultry raising equipment
Food preservation needs.

Hi,
I've been flyfishing and flytying for 40 years, mostly troutfishing. I've learned that you do not need the expensive equipment and all of the gadgets available now. Most of my rods & reels are Cabela's and Cortland. Since I tie my own flies, that is a big cost-savings My wife keeps me on a budget, so I try to plan my purchasing around my annual work bonus (my wife actually allows me a small percentage of it), and tax refund (if any). I occasionally do some saltwater fishing, but with spinning gear.
I also enjoy tent camping, hiking (the Appalachian Trail is my fave), stamp collecting, and visiting Civil war battlefields.