Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Any good the discrimination ability of V3I ?

Doctorcoinz

I currently use a CTX 3030 and an Explorer SE . I am thinking of buying a V3I Later this year , some of my sites have quite a lot of can slaw underground. Do you guys dig can slaw , I have not found a machine yet that can give good id on chewed up pop drinks cans.
Also do you find the v3i hot on nickel coins. I am tired of minelabs and am going to try out the v3i in a few months. Does the fancy screen really give any usefull info is it a gimmick.

:poke: ..... There is no machine out there that will discriminate out can slaw and not miss good targets that fall in the same electromagnetic range.

I dig a lot of can slaw, tabs, and foil. Most of the time I am probably 90% (just guessing here) sure it is junk because that is what my V3i is telling me. I usually dig it anyway and have been pleasantly surprised enough times to keep on digging some of those junk signals.....if I have the time and energy.

I find lots more nickels with the V.

Yup..... If you want the good stuff .... Ya gotta dig the bad stuff too.

The screen is not a gimmick IMO. It can be customized to show the information you deem useful. Even if you hunt by sound, which can also be customized, the screen info can be used to verify what you are hearing. The display is large and, being variably backlit, can be easily seen at arms length.

The V3i is what you make of it. It has a long learning curve if you want to master it since just about everything is adjustable. That alone will drive some people nuts while quite entertaining and challenging to others. The V3i is probably the best general use detector on the market but not a master in any one field. If one hunts primarily deep silver in mineralized ground, the Minelabs owns that title, but the V3i comes close, but the ET and CTX are not so good in small gold and chains, as you already know. The V3i is great on small gold and chains, even a decent nugget hunter but a dedicated nugget machine will do better.

As far as low conductor hunting goes, there is probably no better detector made and you ask about can slaw............ yes it finds slaw just fine and no, there is no way to discriminate it out and still find the gold in the same conductive range, no detector made yet can. If there was such a tool, everyone would own one, BUT the V3i has some of the best tools available to help you make educated decisions of whether you should dig or not than any other detector that I know of.

Just as Wasp says 90%+ of the time you know it's slaw before you dig it. I have never dug slaw without suspecting it was slaw before I dug and I am new to the V3i. I bought mine in Jan and have maybe 60 hours on it now. Not ever owning a detector this good all I can say so far is the V3i is incredible. I have hunted with a cpl guys and one has a CTX3030 and the other owns an Etrac. While hunting coins I did as good as they did and both have been hunting over 30 years. They also each had their detectors over one year.

Doctorcoinz said:
I'll bite a little on your post...., currently use a CTX 3030 and an Explorer SE . I am thinking of buying a V3I Later this year , some of my sites have quite a lot of can slaw underground. Do you guys dig can slaw , I have not found a machine yet that can give good id on chewed up pop drinks cans.
Also do you find the v3i hot on nickel coins. I am tired of minelabs and am going to try out the v3i in a few months. [color=#FF9900[color=#3300CC]]Does the fancy screen really give any usefull info is it a gimmick.[/color][[/color]/quote]

we all dig can slaw, you too..... Fancy screen gimmick?... may i ask what your real thought is?

Bottom line is, the V3i is probably the most versatile overall unit out there, and has one of the best 'tool sets' for analyzing targets in the ground. You can sweep targets for several minutes, analyzing, changing settings, etc....or you can just dig it up. Sometimes it much better to dig up a few crappy targets that may be strewn all over the hunt site, to get a better understanding for not only what the hunt site entails, but how the V3i acted when hitting the target, what the analyzing tools showed you, etc. This way you can then make a better determination as the hunt goes on, whether to dig those targets, as you will have much better info in your brain to make that decision.

The discrimination features of the unit are super, and the added analyzing tools make it one of the best ( if not the best ) for targets in the 1-8 inch range.

As always, discrimination and target ID accuracy diminishes as depth increases ( and some units ID better at increased depths better than the V3i, while others ID worse )

Also, accuracy can be diminished based on that type of ground conditions ( both mineralization and ferrous targets) are being hunted.

And there you have it. :thumbup: