Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

any helpful hints for excal 1000

fishandchips

hello everyone im new here as of yesterday. i just purchased a used excalibur 1000 today. what i would like to know is can anyone give me a few hints on this machine. thanks so much .Sandy

Sandy,there are a lot of people who are very familiar with the Excal and can probably answer all your questions and give you some tips.I'm more of a land hunter and have had some experience with the Excal and will say its one of the best water/ beach detector a hobbyist can buy.Welcome to the forum.Thanks Ron

Don't be concerned that you may be going too slow. Slow with an Excalibur or GT is the best tip you can get!
BCNJ

You are at the right place if you need answers or just plain help. You have a great machine take your time and watch all the videos you can. HH :minelab:

welcome sandy, my excal is also a used machine.... for starters the most important thing is patience.....its not a hard unit to figure out but it will take some time till you figure out what the unit is trying to tell you....as a newby i started out with sensetivity in auto,volume somewhere between 12 and 3 oclock,threshold just barely audible and unit in disc mode with disc set at minimum setting...... if you have a beach nearby or a place where digging large holes is not an issue and you know there are coins there that would be a good place to learn at....just sweep and dig all good sounding repeatable signals...take notice to the different tones ...pennies,dimes are high tone,quarters are mid tone ,nickles are low tone....as with any detector its not an exact science so tones wil l vary a little bit due to depth mineralization,etc ect... after you start getting comfortable with the excal you can take sensetivity out of auto and adjust it to a point that you can the theshold sound at least 75 percent of the time you are swinging.....also i would suggest you watgh some of beachnuts excal videos as they will giveyou a great idea how the unit will sound and respond prior to even trying it out....remember-patience...have fun and good luck....

Thanks for the replies, I want to go to the beach hunt in atlantic city this weekend coming up. I have an explorer ll that i've been using for almost a year. I thought it might be time to try the water now. Thanks again,Sandy

Sandy,

Welcome to the forum - this has been a great place for me to learn how to use the excal and gt, and I hope you get as much out of it as I have so far.

As for the Excal, all I can say is "use it, use it, use it, and then use it some more". I'm still relatively new to using the Excal and the GT, but BC in NJ is right = go slow, don't try to cover large areas all at once - pick an area to MD with it, and then take as much time as it takes to cover that area as completely as you can. Then pick another area and do the same thing. If you are striking out in one area, there is always the "grass is greener over there" thought.

I keep a 35mm film container in my pocket with a silver dime, a copper penny, a zinc penny, a nickle, some foil, a bottle cap, a pull tab and a gold ring in it. When my ears can't tell the difference between things any more, or I start getting confused about what I'm hearing; I lay out something like the pull tab, foil and the gold ring and listen for the differences. Sometimes I will do that with a different combination of what's in the film container, but I find it helpful. Other times, give your ears a break for 10 or 20 minutes, then get back at it, and it will make all the difference in the world as to what you are understanding that the machine is telling you.

I still listen to Basic Ear Training for the Excalibur on a regular basis, and it helps a lot to learn the sounds of the machine. You still have to do your own homework in terms of figuring out where the good stuff is; that is a matter of studying people and their habits as well as beach movement/sand movement/erosion. There are some good books out there too. I like the Clive Clynic books and the Gary Drayton book. Clive is more technical, methodical in his explanations, but the information is there. Gary is a little easier reading in some ways, and might be a better starting point. These are just my opinions - Both are great sources of information, one isn't better than the other.

Hope this helps, and if you have questions; post them on the forum, people here are real helpful.

HH and cover your holes,

Thanks Tim, I can't wait to head to the beach! I just joined two days ago and everyone here is friendly and very helpful. I will be sure to post anything good i might find while in Atlantic City. Thanks again everyone. Sandy