Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Any idea on this?

Smigo

Hi all. I found this years ago on one of our goldfields. I have never been able to really figure it out.
Not sure if its a tiny seal or what it is. The letters, seem to be, in reverse and I think I can make out a reverse Fidele.
Im not sure what the piture is on this side.
IMG_20210925_120727_847~3 (1).jpg

To me on this side the picture looks like a tree stump with vines and leaves. For such a tiny thing it seems it was well detailed.
IMG_20210925_120714_448~4.jpg

Any ideas?

Make an impression on plasticine and you will leave doubts

Here is a clearer look. And thats as clear as I can get it any way. This took dozens of shots each side to get it to here.
I cant make this writing out at all. Im not even sure it is backwards at all now.
Just an odd old coin thing I guess. Google lense shows zero matches.
IMG_20210925_204628_904~2.jpg

IMG_20210925_204657_773~2.jpg

I can read the following:
LA LIBERTE ME REND FIDELE
Freedom keeps me true
I think it is a stamp of French origin.

I looked into it and the writing is on a lot of different wax seals.

Make a print on modeling clay and you can read what it says. So you can have more data. Do not do it in hot wax. Being so old, he could damage the seal.

Attachments

• IMG_20210925_204657_773_2.jpg
    IMG_20210925_204657_773_2.jpg
    380.3 KB · Views: 116
Make a print on modeling clay and you can read what it says. So you can have more data. Do not do it in hot wax. Being so old, he could damage the seal.
Thanks for the info and taking the time to check.
That picture in the link, in the middle of it is identical.
I live in a small country town. I think a shop here will have some plasticine. No craft shops that will have clay.
Yeah I reckon in one way or another its been identified for me. Great.
Will be at the shops in a few days and will see what happens when I press it in the plasticine.

To all, big thumbs up to @Draco for the help. Yep its a double side french wax seal.
I found this on a hillside in an Australian reef mining area from the 1800s. The exact area was Ferrons Reef Fryerstown. 20 or plus yrs ago I gained permission from the landowner to detect there. I found numerous gold specimens and relics there. Including this and coins. The best bit I got, a beautiful 6 gram crystalline bit I gave as a gift to the landowner. But this/that place has always been special to me because of the nature of the gold I found there as well as the amount of relics and such I recovered.
This seal, all those years greatly intrigued me. And kept that memory of that place special.
Now I know what it is. Worth a fortune! No monetary wise. But now as a memory, and piece of the puzzle from there!? Absolutely!
Years of wonder now answered, and I can now look back on working that big hillside for months, with a huge smile on my face. Dozens of bits of gold and species along with coins and relics.
This is now the prized find.
Two big thumbs up for the help.
Hugely appreciated. 👍👍

To all, big thumbs up to @Draco for the help. Yep its a double side french wax seal.
I found this on a hillside in an Australian reef mining area from the 1800s. The exact area was Ferrons Reef Fryerstown. 20 or plus yrs ago I gained permission from the landowner to detect there. I found numerous gold specimens and relics there. Including this and coins. The best bit I got, a beautiful 6 gram crystalline bit I gave as a gift to the landowner. But this/that place has always been special to me because of the nature of the gold I found there as well as the amount of relics and such I recovered.
This seal, all those years greatly intrigued me. And kept that memory of that place special.
Now I know what it is. Worth a fortune! No monetary wise. But now as a memory, and piece of the puzzle from there!? Absolutely!
Years of wonder now answered, and I can now look back on working that big hillside for months, with a huge smile on my face. Dozens of bits of gold and species along with coins and relics.
Hugely appreciated. 👍👍
Draco comes through all the time except on my SNAPS / BUTTONS lol

Draco comes through all the time except on my SNAPS / BUTTONS lol
Draco solved my question very much.
I actually took this thing to a coin gold and relic show a number of years ago here in Victoria Australia.
I showed it to a supposed expert from Downey's who was there to identify and value coin and relic items.
I kindly handed it to him asking "hi, can you please tell me what this is'?"
Within about 5 seconds he, not handing it back, threw it on the table in front of me with it bouncing and said "junk" then looked away.
Everything in me said, ok maybe not something worth a fortune but I dont believe junk.
After the time i spent there and doing my research on the area beforehand then my finds, this included! Its far from junk..

Hugely appreciated. 👍👍
Thank you very much for your kind words, it has been a pleasure for me.
I also learn a little more every day thanks to your findings.
Greetings (y)

Well that's it! Draco is officially member of the month 😊
I think the member of the month is you, with the commotion you've made ...:starwars:;)
Seriously, Dan. I have looked at thousands of buttons and could not get information from it. I even made some adjustments in Photoshop, to see if he could make out anything else in the images, but I couldn't identify it.

Draco solved my question very much.
I actually took this thing to a coin gold and relic show a number of years ago here in Victoria Australia.
I showed it to a supposed expert from Downey's who was there to identify and value coin and relic items.
I kindly handed it to him asking "hi, can you please tell me what this is'?"
Within about 5 seconds he, not handing it back, threw it on the table in front of me with it bouncing and said "junk" then looked away.
Everything in me said, ok maybe not something worth a fortune but I dont believe junk.
After the time i spent there and doing my research on the area beforehand then my finds, this included! Its far from junk..
There is a phrase that says:
One's trash is another's treasure.

For me, that STAMPl is very important. It says who was there, the letters or documents that could be sealed at the time, etc.
NO, IT'S NOT GARBAGE