Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Any ideas about this piece?

fwcrawford

I found this at an old cabin about a week ago.
At first I thought it was part of an old pocket watch that I found parts to earlier, but it too small for that.
It is light and made of brass, and has a design on one side.
Thanks in advance for any help!

IMG_0302.JPG
IMG_0303.JPG

I found this at an old cabin about a week ago.
At first I thought it was part of an old pocket watch that I found parts to earlier, but it too small for that.
It is light and made of brass, and has a design on one side.
Thanks in advance for any help!
Hello fw, attached is an enhanced image making out a bit more of the detail of your pic and rotated 180° thereabouts. Looks like a pic of a goat /sheep/mule in the one pyramid and a symbol in the top? Is it possible to brush on some olive oil, let it soak in a bit, then dab off the excess in hopes the detail will maybe show a little better.

cheers

wz1.jpg

fw, leaning towards a secret society badge, with the mystic symbol in the top pyramid and the llama(?) in the bottom one. As well, appears to be 2 different mystic symbols on either side of the sun disk. This does not appear to be an advertising or trademark emblem, but rather one that is intended to mystify and confound anyone without the special insight of membership. I've looked through a number of sources, but was not able to identify any of the mystic symbols.

The wings and sun disk is an ancient symbol going back to Egypt and Mesopotamia but was used as well by the Mayans and Aztecs in Central and S. America (possibly a connection with the llama?)

Not sure what part of the country you found this. There is a senior honor society known as the QEBH at the University of Missouri that was founded in 1898 and uses the winged sphere as it's primary symbol.

220px-QEBH_Winged_Sphere.png

Great find with lots of fascinating clues! Good luck!

fw, leaning towards a secret society badge, with the mystic symbol in the top pyramid and the llama(?) in the bottom one. As well, appears to be 2 different mystic symbols on either side of the sun disk. This does not appear to be an advertising or trademark emblem, but rather one that is intended to mystify and confound anyone without the special insight of membership. I've looked through a number of sources, but was not able to identify any of the mystic symbols.

The wings and sun disk is an ancient symbol going back to Egypt and Mesopotamia but was used as well by the Mayans and Aztecs in Central and S. America (possibly a connection with the llama?)

Not sure what part of the country you found this. There is a senior honor society known as the QEBH at the University of Missouri that was founded in 1898 and uses the winged sphere as it's primary symbol.

220px-QEBH_Winged_Sphere.png

Great find with lots of fascinating clues! Good luck!

Steve,
I am in central Virginia.
I can say one thing.. if this symbol was meant to confuse someone, it worked!!🤣
I found it around an old house site.
I have no idea what it could be... glad you suggested to clean up to get more detail!
Maybe someone out there has an idea... thanks for your help!!👍

I know exactly what this is - and it is odd. What you have found is a pocket sundial. Originally there was a blade (referred to as a gnomon) in the long slot and the small circular cutout was for a very small compass to align the sundial. At least some of these were given out as "real working timepieces" when you sent in a whole mess of chewing gum wrappers. I can only imagine the disappointment when the kid who was expecting a pocket watch got one of these. I found one of them several years ago and it remains a find that confuses and amazes folks. It's a bit late tonight but I'll attach an image of the one that I dug out.

Thanks for the ID... I will look it up!!
I was thinking it kind of resembled a sundial with the slot, but could not figure out what the round hole would have been for.
Makes sense now.... thanks again!!!👍👍

yes its a watch cover--https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/vtg-robbins-co-compass-sundial-pocket-443325351

Attachments

• vtg-robbins-co-compass-sundial-pocket_1_eb3cf2024f3476ae5b536b0fbe549133.jpg
    vtg-robbins-co-compass-sundial-pocket_1_eb3cf2024f3476ae5b536b0fbe549133.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 178
I know exactly what this is - and it is odd. What you have found is a pocket sundial. Originally there was a blade (referred to as a gnomon) in the long slot and the small circular cutout was for a very small compass to align the sundial. At least some of these were given out as "real working timepieces" when you sent in a whole mess of chewing gum wrappers. I can only imagine the disappointment when the kid who was expecting a pocket watch got one of these. I found one of them several years ago and it remains a find that confuses and amazes folks. It's a bit late tonight but I'll attach an image of the one that I dug out.
Nice catch, Taxidea and good job on finding the a link, cudawantd! Interesting find, fwcrawford, that was a strange one! :clapping:

kinda like the solar clothes dryers you can order. you get a clothes line and pins