Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Any MAC users out there

TangoGirl

I have been looking at the Minelab CTX 3030 but understand MAC computer are not supported. Anyone have a MAC out there and a CTX 3030? I would be interested in hearing about some creative solutions. I know of "BOOTCAMP" for MAC-- would that work? I guess I could buy a cheap PC just for the Minelab.

Also, can anyone tell me how much it weighs.

Thank you in advance.

I am a Mac User and just purchased a CTX. I checked into Windows software available and decided on Windows 7 and purchased it online for about $100. I checked into the options Mac suggests to download Windows 7 and decided on Bootcamp versus Parallels etc. Depending on your OS you are running, all of the instructions are available in the support section of the Apple site. I fired up Bootcamp and the installation went perfectly. Follow the directions as laid out by Apple and you should not have a problem. The only downside of using Bootcamp is that you have to completely shut down the computer when going between OS X and Windows 7 but that is a minor problem since I only use Windows 7 for my CTX stuff. I know that if you choose the Parallels route, you will have to purchase the program but will be able to run Windows 7 and the Mac OS X together without shutting down the computer.
Just shout if you have any more questions.
HH
Chuck

The CTX, ready to go and with the 11" coil, weighs 5 lbs-2 oz. The balance of the CTX, especially with this coil, is excellent, so the machine doesn't feel that heavy. Adjusting the coil in or out, depending on coil size being used, helps the balance significantly.........HH

I am running Mt. Lion OS 10.8.3. Your setup sounds good. I would only being running Windows for the CTX & prefer not to have Win7 running simultaneously with MAC. Has it slowed your MAC at all with issues of spyware or virus from Win7? Thanks!
TG

Thanks HH! Minelab called me back today (great customer service!). ML rep didn't know the exact weight but thought it was about 6 lbs. Appreciate the info. I had got some misinfo from another party that it was quite heavy....but they didn't know how heavy. I was wondering if it was 15 lbs. Delighted to find it's only 5 #, 2 oz.

TG

No problems at all with OX 10 speed, performance, etc. If you go the Bootcamp route, I would disable updates when you are in the Windows platform because they take so much time to download, etc.
HH
Chuck

I think it's a lousy shame that MineLab can't change a few line in the code to create a version of Exchange that will allow it to run on a Mac sporting an Intel processor but instead force their customers to put out more money to make it work.

DukeOBass said:
I think it's a lousy shame that MineLab can't change a few line in the code to create a version of Exchange that will allow it to run on a Mac sporting an Intel processor but instead force their customers to put out more money to make it work.

It's not quite that simple.... I have been an Information Technologist since 1986 and in my experience, Apple has been the worst company to deal with as a VENDOR, SUPPLIER, or in any SUPPORT capacity. They are awesome from a user perspective, but not if you have to deal with them on the other side of the equation. Given the choice between SUPPORTING Apple gear in an non-Apple world, and a sharp ice pick in the eye; and I would say......the ice pick is maybe a little more attractive because it will only hurt for a little while......

And please, please, please Apple lovers, please don't start with the hate. I know it's religion with you guys and I am not calling your God ugly. From your prospective Apple is awesome and you are NOT WRONG. Apple gear is awesome from a user perspective. But it is not awesome on the other end of the equation and that is why vendors don't want to make Apple COMPUTER compatible gear, applications, and offer support for the same. I.T. is what I have done nearly 3 decades, I know what I am talking about, and my industry credentials are solid. Frankly I could write a book on the subject, but I have far too much going on to do so, nor would it be worth the effort. Their COMPUTER market share has been on a steady decline over the past 2 decades (those facts don't lie regardless of what they claim) and they are now more of gadget company than a computer company. When any product falls below 10% in market share they often lose 3rd party support soon afterward and become irrelevant - think Blackberry. Apple has been under 10% for more than a decade so 3rd parties like Minelab are not going to put out the effort.

The same argument could be used for Linux which actually has a greater market share than Apple and I don't see a Linux version of the software either. Sorry but it is the business reality of the situation and that is why there is Bootcamp in the first place..

The Shark

First, thanks to everyone who replied.

Good info, Shark- I see your point, and spoke w/Minelab early on who explained they considered it and weighed their options and found more people used PCs (they are a smart company running their business well--who could blame them?)

Apple isn't religion with me...LOL. Only switched 3 yrs ago from PC.

I am not hating Apple (for not sharing), nor Minelab for not pursuing...it is what it is. I accept that it's not available for me without the extra work and $$ --but kind of a "dang, I wish"...or maybe a "lousy shame" but no blame on anyone--it just is and I get on to finding something that works for me. Both companies are trying to run a business well and profitably-- and that creates jobs, gets money flowing into the economy & that is good.

I think DukeOBass was just being compassionate towards a hunter who was trying to find a work-around without the extra $$.

Cheers!
HH to all.
:cheekkiss:
TG

I got the installer to run on my iMac. It goes through the entire install process and tell you it's installed but when click the icon to launch it goes through an unistall and the install again. Still working on it. I may get this converted after all.

My preference is parallels. I'm amazed at how speedy the latest version of parallels is when running win 7 or win 8.1. No need to reboot all the time. It just works!

Working at a hospital part of my job is support physicians and their computers needs. I've got a few that use a MAC and have to run a Windows emulator to use them. What's the point? I understand the MAC has a few advantages over the PC when it comes to media, but why not spend a few hundred and just buy a second real Windows PC?

By the way, I have a long running dislike for Apple. I remember back in the day when Apple was offered the same option as IBM in releasing their hardware patents so competition would drive PC prices down so the average Joe could afford one. IBM agreed Apple said no way were they going to let someone else make money off their product. If someone wants to buy something for their Apple they have to buy it from us. The rest is history. IBM left Apple in the dust. Greed is the reason Apple is second to IBM.

I am a MAC OS X user and I have the CTX 3030. I am not great when it comes to downloading programs and technical things on the MAC.I still have my old PC,can I just plug that in and download the DVD for the CTX? Would I need to connect the old PC with a provider just to download my exchange program? I am a little leery of getting windows. My wife is a teacher and she has all her work on the MAC, I don't want to mess her up.

Thank you
Jim

I run Parellels on my MAC and use exchange 2 without any issues. I have it for other reasons but it is an expensive option just to run exchange2 on a MAC.

chuckciao said:
No problems at all with OX 10 speed, performance, etc. If you go the Bootcamp route, I would disable updates when you are in the Windows platform because they take so much time to download, etc.
HH
Chuck
Thanks to chuck , I just downloaded the windows parallels program. I downloaded a 14 day trail Windows Parallels 8. It took the disk, and downloaded all the of the exchange program. I didn't connect the CTX yet. I am waiting for a battery clip from minelab. I don't want to ruin my New Years if it doesn't work. I will let you all know tomorrow if it works.

I have a Mac Osx 10.7 I no nothing about this technical stuff. I just tried to download windows 8 14 day free trail and it didn't work. I am reading all of your post and I am getting more confused. I was told to get windows 7, The above post says I run Parallel? I have no idea what you are talking about. How do I find out what my Mac needs, this is getting out of hand. I don't know what and how to find out what I need. Can someone tell me what I have to buy and how I have to put it in. Do I have to purchase Parallels? I was born in 1950 we talked on tin cans with a string.

JeremyFXDWG said:
I run Parallels on my MAC and use exchange 2 without any issues. I have it for other reasons but it is an expensive option just to run exchange2 on a MAC.

I was told to get windows 7 How do I know what I need for my MAC? I have a 10.7.5 Do I run parallels? Please just tell me what to buy, and how do I download it. I am getting more confused the more I read. I no nothing about computers or Mac's I need a step by step instruction.

I bootcamped my iMac and loaded Windows 7. I have been using eXchange2 with my CTX for several months. The only thing that doesn't work is the sound when I click to hear what a tone sounds like.

I just sent for windows 7, it was 89.00. I had windows tech support on the phone. They were great, I had the wrong windows at first. I downloaded 9, no good. It was a free trial offer, nothing lost. Windows tech support told me to call when I get windows 7 and they will help me install it on my MAC. They are going to use Parallels. I know nothing about it, I hope they get it right. If anybody iss having a problem installing windows here is the # 1-888-811-2489 They are really helpful.

Jim