Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Any military button experts out there?

coinspader

I had the little Whites Classic 3 plus out today working the naily area's of the old park and I came across this target about 5 inches down, it is a small military cuff button but I am not a button expert so I don't know how old it might be, I am sure somebody on this forum would know.
IMG_0814.jpg

The old treasure depot had a very good button reference; too bad that is gone.
Here is something that might get you a little info; appears to be army and newer than 1902 (but I'm no expert, so don't hold me to that):

I think it is a U S Army "Great Seal" button. They were first issued in 1902. It looks like yours had a raised rim so that would date it no earlier than 1910 ehwn the rim was added. If it has a rounded rim it would date 1910-1927. If the rim is more angular it would date post 1927. These buttons are still in use today. Without a backmark it will be very hard to narrow the time period down further.

I am not an expert in buttons, although I have a certain facility to appreciate small details.
I think what sets this button apart from other buttons is the sequence of dots and/or stars above the eagle's head. In this case from top to bottom: 2-4-4-2 (at least, that's what I see in the photo)
I think that is the key to identify it correctly. I'm sorry I can't give more details without having the button in my hands.

Attachments

• InkedIMG_0814 (1)_LI.jpg
    InkedIMG_0814 (1)_LI.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 67
Both buttons that have been posted are too corroded to show the correct detail Here is a picture of the 1902-10 style, 1910-1927 style and post 1927 style. The last one is a black finished button that dates from 1910-1923. Some of the black has worn off.

Attachments

• badger mf'g. co. racine. wis. front.jpg
    badger mf'g. co. racine. wis. front.jpg
    657.9 KB · Views: 55
  • am& cie Paris 23mm front.jpg
    am& cie Paris 23mm front.jpg
    310.2 KB · Views: 59
  • new york button works NY front 24mm.jpg
    new york button works NY front 24mm.jpg
    378 KB · Views: 67
  • city button works new york front.jpg
    city button works new york front.jpg