Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Any muzzleloader shooters out there?

cahil_2

When I'm not detecting, I love to go to muzzleloader shoots and shoot my kentucky rifles. Love the smell of black powder, and the challenge of putting the roundball in the bull. Sometimes dress up in costume. Just like metal detecting has a historical aspect to it, and wonderful people to spend time with.

Sounds like fun, but I've never bought any of those old rifles, etc.. The only black powder firearm
I've ever shot was one of those Ruger Old Army's.. 457 ball I think it was, with Pyrodex? for the powder.

Started out with 45 caliber long rifle percussion, had one 54 Thompson , a couple of traditional 50s, a 32, a 45 flintlock, two 45 pistols, 36 cal revolver, 31 cal revolver, and a few inlines. I hunt deer with a muzzleloader most seasons.

Man you got a bunch. I have 4 custom guns, a 32 flinter, 45 flinter, 54 trade gun, and a 45 percussion, as well as a 40 cal mule ear pistol. Shoot my 45 flinter the most.

I started with traditionals and still shoot them. Sounds to me like you have some money invested in yours. I like muzzleloader season here in west because there;s not as many hunters and the pace is a lot slower, more relaxing. The only time I hunt deer with a centerfire rifle is when I draw a permit that has taken me years to draw. I really enjoy shooting the muzzleloaders. There's going to be a rendevous toward the end of April close to here. I'm going to shoot then. I got into muzzleloaders about 1981 been messing with them ever since.

I've been hunting and sooting a T/C renegae for around 25 years or so.. started shooting with round balls now shot the hornady Great Plains Bullets with excellent results.. This is the only BP firearm that I have..

That's a good rifle. Ive had a couple of them, one in 54 and one in 50.

mine is 50 cal and single trigger

Shoot the muzzleloaders quite often. I bought a TC renegade in 1980 and upgraded the barrel to a Green Mountain LRH which has a faster twist to shoot saboted bullets. My main muzzleloader now is a TC Encore which I have 3 different barrels for. The newest barrel is a 45/70 barrel which I had a savage smokeless breech plug installed into it and shoots smokeless powder. Currently I load 58 grains of 4198 behind a 200grain sst hornady .40 cal. It is a fine 200 yard deer getter. The best black powder substitute I have ever used is Blackhorn 209 by western powder. I am able to get more velocity with it than maximum loads of Triple 7 or pyrodex and the cleanup is a breeze. If you shoot blackhorn out of a sidelock there is a nipple conversion made to use a 209 shotgun primer that will give the charge the extra heat it needs to ignite.

Hello guys! As I am glad this post! I too am a user and muzzleloader shooter. I have four weapons, an Italian replica 1858 Remington NMA another magnificent but Spanish, made ​​by Santa Barbara, both in .44 caliber to .454 ball. A percussion rifle in .32 caliber Pedersoli and jewel house, a Pennsylvania .50 caliber flint. My brother a .45 Hawken, a Zouave and a dueling pistol in .41 caliber.
There's nothing like a shot with black powder. And if a flint rifle the feeling is divine. I Love Kentucky's rifle.
greetings from Spain
30082010086x.jpg
30082010092.jpg

I have not done nearly enough black powder shooting in the past few years. I initially purchased a Thompson Center Hawkin in 50 cal in order to expand my access to deer hunts. Replaced the original barrel with a Green Mountain Round ball barrel so i could more accurately shoot round balls. Took a number of deer with this rifle.

I also have a TC Cherokee in 32 cal that I used in Ohio to hunt the Wiley woodchuck. Great fun trying to stalk to within about 30 yards of one of those sharp eyed creatures.

In addition I have a Hatfield 36 cal and two flintlocks that my friends son gave me when his dad passed away. One of them is a McCoy 36 and the other one came from Mountain State Muzzle Loading Supply.

I have a TC Encore in 50 cal that I have taken a couple of whitetail deer with. Also a Ruger Old Army .44 (.457) that I shot 18 times, cleaned thoroughly and Put up. Havent taken it out of the gun safe since.

I tried Pyrodex when I first purchased a muzzle loader and was unhappy with the results that I got. I have only used black power (Goex) since. When my friend died I inherited almost a case of black powder so I am set as far as powder goes.

Hello. Good to see a few front loaders here. I got the itch many years ago. started out in the '60s.... the 1960's with a replica 1858 Remington. then went through CVA,Lyman and T/C Hawkins and Renegades.
Now build Flintlocks. Finished a Jim Chambers Isaac Haines .54 Flint. Getz Swamped barrel. a great shooter.
Winter project was just finished. a .62 Smoothbore. Fusil de Chasse. Way too much fun, round ball or shot.
Built a .50 Underhammer H&A. Before that built a .40 Southern mountain rifle. A few more in there somewhere. Unlimited supply of pure lead has forced me to cast balls. So another great diversion(Hobby)

Yep I love muzzleloaders, been shooting them since the early 80's , I have a investarms 50 hawken crome inlay barrel and the 50 cal wolf. it shoots the improved minnie ball using 777 , 75 grns nicely and recently purchased a steel frame 1858 Remington 44 love that pistol.

I used to be involved in Living History (Re enactor) of the War Between the States, or the War of Northern Aggression. I owned 2 muskets, both reproductions. 1 was a 3 band 58 cal. Springfield musket, and the other was a 3 band 58 cal. Enfield musket. I did not fire live ammunition from these, but used these for the battles and for programs. I too always enjoyed the smell and sometimes the taste of black powder in the heat of battle. I still have the Springfield musket in my History room.

I love it! I have 8 or 9 traditional guns as well as an inline. My local club has about 10 Black Powder trail walks every winter. There was one last week and another this week!

Hey y'all, I have shot blackpowder for over forty years and love it. My first rifle was a .58 cal. While it was fun to shoot and accurate I had trouble with the trajectory so I sold it and got a .54 cal Thompson in percussion. I've had loads of fun with it. I killed a black bear with it and a deer on the last day of the center fire season. These were a couple of weeks after I bought it. I now mostly shoot a Lyman Great Planes .54 flinter which is my favorite. I mostly just shoot predators and diggers squirrels but will deer hunt with it this fall.

Yessir, I love my bp guns. I have a Dixie Gun Works .58 Enfield Musketoon, T/C Renegade .54, T/C Hawken .50, Renegade 12 gauge shotgun, Beretta o/u 12 gauge black powder, Crockett .32 and my favorite is a .40 flintlock that I built from a Jim Kibler kit. Flintlock squirrel hunting has got to be one of the most enjoyable things that a person can do.

Hi Cahil 2, Are you looking to buy one? I have a 445 Ky. long rifle, and two 50 Cal. The 50 Cal is a Connecticut Valley Arms , I have in in the box it came in. I am thinking about selling it. Do you need to go through FCC. to ship? flintstone

.54 cal Thompson center hawken here. Bought it in the early 80’s to take advantage of the colorado sept. Muzzle loader Elk season. A great time to be in the woods. I still shoot it these days but not as much as I use too. Out of the 12 firearms I own, it has provided me with the most memories and the most meat.