Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Any recommendations for a GPS unit

Bill in CT

I really don't know much about GPS units and would like to start my education. I know about the basics of how they work but have had little experience with them.

I would like to set waypoints, track where I wandered in the woods while scouting and set coordinates from a map into the GPS unit to find my way to sites to detect. I have used Keyhole.com for satellite images and cross refrenced them with topo maps to find potential sites to hunt but I don't easily find my destination. I'm wandering too much!

Whats a good entry level unit?
Pro's/Con's?
What can I expect To spend?

Bill, I've using GPS for about year and a half so I'm no expert. I would suggest that you get a mapping unit though. I found that they allow you to actually see your position in relation to your surroundings and that seems to make the information more easily usable. Best of luck in your search.

capnron

What kinds of maps are available for use with the GPS. Topographical, Standard map? Do you have to buy maps or do they come pre loaded with the unit?

Spacific answer depends on the manufacturer and particular model. In most cases, only very basic maps are pre-loaded. Topo and road maps are avaliable from the big 3. For some, additional detailed maps are avaliable from other sources.