Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

any saltwater vids or reviews yet?

bootyhoundpa

I haven't noticed or heard of any performance reports of saltwater hunting with the eqnx. .. having muti frequency capabilities and waterproof would tend make one think it would be good for saltwater in addition to field hunting..

I might be all wet but it’s hard for me to believe that Minelab would build this machine unless it worked well on wet sand salt water beaches too. I have my preorder in already and would very disappointed if it doesn’t work Well at the beach. :detecting:

If it works as well as other multifreakers, Bye - bye Excalibur except for diving - same goes for CZ-21.

Of course, maybe Minelab doesn’t care - and Fisher are working on a PI beach machine - the Manta - with iron ID - maybe this will hurry them along on their development program.

Well must say when ctx came out was unstable in saltwater and remembering how gary drayton said it ran smooth in salt water . Must be careful when listening to reviews from peeps they get free detectors from companies. Anyways back to the point , ctx was imho lousy in salt water until they finally did the salt water mode. Will EQ run smooth in salt time will tell

You would they wouldnt make the same mistake they did with the CTX. Over confidence without proper testing. Im a wait and see guy, but its hard to replace an Xcal in PP mode. Are they not thinking what we are....... that this has great potential as a water machine? So its surprising we havent seen anything water related by a hardcore hunter.

I hinted to test it for them but no bites :(

bootyhoundpa said:
I haven't noticed or heard of any performance reports of saltwater hunting with the eqnx. .. having muti frequency capabilities and waterproof would tend make one think it would be good for saltwater in addition to field hunting..

greenmeanie said:
I hinted to test it for them but no bites :(

bootyhoundpa said:

I hinted that on another forum but also no bites.

I am hesitant at buying it till i see saltwater hunt tests , thats where i detect 95% of the time. A must see before buy or it might be bye bye.

I was wondering the same thing. I bought the CTX when it was first released and used it extensively at the beach for a year before selling it. Even after the salt water update, I didn't find the performance gap between the Excal and CZ20/21 to be that much of an improvement for swinging a boat anchor +8 hours so I sold it. Been using my CZ20/21 and custom waterproof Mirage PI ever since...if Fisher doesn't release a salt water beach machine that is waterproof, the Equinox may well be my next main unit.

I have used my CTX on salt damp sand and salt water auto +3 without the salt mode and only on rare occasions do I get a false. It is a 2014 model. Only when I transition from damp sand to the water and a wave from the wash hits the coil just right do I get a slight false. Guess I am very lucky as I have read of this problem for years. I also have a friend who sent back his 2012 model for this reason. Just thought I would put that out there. If the Equinox can perform like the CTX, well I just might have to buy one.

I go in and out of the water with my Explorer 11 without any problems at all.

Problem is in auto mode on the CTX you lose alot of depth and sensitivity to small gold in the water, Ctx with saltwater update runs nice now in manuel,

The Etrac, Explorers and Sovs all work well on wet salt sand.
Honestly I would think if this detector is as good or any good on wet salt sand that would have come out.....would be something the testers would be talking about.
Im not looking for a new detector, I rarely use the ones I have anymore....but its still interesting to see whats new.

I keep hearing talk of equinox and other minelab detectors as water proof. As a Diver, either you can take the detector down or you cant. I feel the term waterproof is being misused. The Excal, Some whites, the Infinium and others who have a depth rating of 200 feet, I would consider them waterproof. However having said that they are not waterproof. Tey are water resistant. In the realm of diving, any device which is encapsulated (such as a Rolex) watch is rated to depths in excess of 660 feet of salt water. The depth of 660 feet defines if an object is water proof. Anything less than that depth is water resistant. Calling a detector waterproof when you can only get the coil wet or cant go down ten feet is not waterproof and I feel the manufacturers are playing us when they claim waterproof status on such equipment. I wrote minelab asking them if the equinox is waterproof like my excal with depths to 200 feet (The excal is also not waterproof just water resistant ). They replied water proof, they would in time release the depth to us..

I constantly dive on an old wreck behind the house in approx 65-80 feet of water. The excal stays dry, and the finds have been consistent.

I would like the manufacturers to stop misleading the public and use terms that declare the water integrity of their gear in lets say terms like the IPX system which clearly defines how deep an object cab be submersed and for how long. This way we may get some truth about the capabilities of the equipment we spend serious coin on. If Minelab persists in stating their new equinox is waterproof and someone takes it to 50 feet and it floods, daresay Minelab will not have a leg to stand on and will in the end have to replace equipment. Truth and accuracy in advertising is what sells gear, not hype and using terms that do not reflect real world values.

RC said:
I keep hearing talk of equinox and other minelab detectors as water proof. As a Diver, either you can take the detector down or you cant. I feel the term waterproof is being misused. The Excal, Some whites, the Infinium and others who have a depth rating of 200 feet, I would consider them waterproof. However having said that they are not waterproof. Tey are water resistant. In the realm of diving, any device which is encapsulated (such as a Rolex) watch is rated to depths in excess of 660 feet of salt water. The depth of 660 feet defines if an object is water proof. Anything less than that depth is water resistant. Calling a detector waterproof when you can only get the coil wet or cant go down ten feet is not waterproof and I feel the manufacturers are playing us when they claim waterproof status on such equipment. I wrote minelab asking them if the equinox is waterproof like my excal with depths to 200 feet (The excal is also not waterproof just water resistant ). They replied water proof, they would in time release the depth to us..

I constantly dive on an old wreck behind the house in approx 65-80 feet of water. The excal stays dry, and the finds have been consistent.

I would like the manufacturers to stop misleading the public and use terms that declare the water integrity of their gear in lets say terms like the IPX system which clearly defines how deep an object cab be submersed and for how long. This way we may get some truth about the capabilities of the equipment we spend serious coin on. If Minelab persists in stating their new equinox is waterproof and someone takes it to 50 feet and it floods, daresay Minelab will not have a leg to stand on and will in the end have to replace equipment. Truth and accuracy in advertising is what sells gear, not hype and using terms that do not reflect real world values.

Minelab have stated that its waterproof to 3 meters 10 feet . So its waterproof. If anyone wants to ignore the stated info and takes it deeper then thats their fault when it goes wrong .
I am happy with 10 feet as i was hoping just for bloody good water resistance . And as a non swimmer wouldn't go more than 4 feet LOL .
People will have to wake up and read the small print and maybe some will have to read the large print .
If someone took an Excalibur to 1000 feet would it be waterproof ? not likely !

Saltwater Jim. I must be very lucky as I consistently dig targets ( gold and silver ) at 12"to 15" in the salt water wash and as deep as 17" in damp sand. It all has to do with conditions and the program and settings for me. I also read that the CTX does not fair well on small gold but I am always upset with those ear ring backs and stud ear rings that waste my time.
In the water waist deep and deeper it's my Excaliburs I choose to use. My question to you is, auto +3 is running at 28 29 on the beach damp sand. What is the difference of manual 28 29 ? Good luck to you in all your spins..