Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Anybody do leather work, i dabble a llittle

yowow#1

Some of my gun belt holsters for my ruger 357's, between metal detecting and leather hobby, not enough hours in the day.:)

Dabble a little? :surprised::drool:! Very nice workmanship! :clapping: I had a GP100 and a Security Six...You might be a single action man though, right?

That kind of skill is a good thing to know...you can go anywhere and do alright.:clapping: ever done any motorcycle seats? Knife or Machete scabbards?
Mud

Hi mud, i have 2 blackhawks, i have done quite a few knife sheaths an belt/knife sheath combos for folks, 'mostly projects for "friends" that are looking for that friendship kinda deal.:)

Very nice yowow#1 !! Did you learn just by doing it? Any special sewing machines you use, or all rivets and hand stitch?

Thanks Steve o, learn through how to books, videos and some costly mistakes, which i often make, mistakes in expensive leather can almost make an old cry, i hand stitch and have a tipmann leather sewing machine. sometime i"ll reinforce the corners with rivets when i handstitch "slow process".

Great work. Unfortunately I have neither the talent or patience to do work like that.

WOW that is really nice. My name is Jersey Jim, I just started to get involved with leather. I already made some unwise moves as to what and where I purchased some of my material. I been trying to watch some You Tube videos to give me some pointers. I am in the process of buying a swivel knife and some stamping tools. Can you tell me if I would be better off on EBay with the used tools or going on line to Tandy Leather or a place like that.If you can give a brother detectorist a few tips I would greatly appreciate it

Nice work! My parents used to do leather craft back in the day. I believe they had just about every tool Tandy ever made. When I was in my early teens, I started making billfolds, checkbook covers, purses, milking stools, saddles, holsters, etc. for my 4-H projects. Like Blacksmithing, leather craft seems to be a dying art. It's been about 40 years and I still carry my one of my checkbook covers with me to this very day. Nice to see that somebody is still carrying on the tradition. :thumbup:

jerseyjim said:
WOW that is really nice. My name is Jersey Jim, I just started to get involved with leather. I already made some unwise moves as to what and where I purchased some of my material. I been trying to watch some You Tube videos to give me some pointers. I am in the process of buying a swivel knife and some stamping tools. Can you tell me if I would be better off on EBay with the used tools or going on line to Tandy Leather or a place like that.If you can give a brother detectorist a few tips I would greatly appreciate it

Hi Jersey Jim, as far as leather work goes i consider myself a dabbler, i enjoy it, i think it's relaxing, but it can be very expensive. I typically purchase my tools and leather from Tandy. The only thing i would watch for in buying used tools is abuse.. One should never use a metal hammer on their leather working tools, it will damage them very easily. So in buying used tools i would watch out for that. Also i would purchase the best quality leather tools i could afford, as in all tools Quality tools makes a big difference. As i'm sure you know Leather is very expensive but from time to time tandy will run specials, so i typically watch their site for special sales. 1/2 price at times... if you are planning on stamping and carving your projects, remember Veg-tanned leather is what you want. Also the Tandy sites have some very informative videos.. i learned through books and videos... Good Luck and enjoy...:thumbup:

azblackbird said:
Nice work! My parents used to do leather craft back in the day. I believe they had just about every tool Tandy ever made. When I was in my early teens, I started making billfolds, checkbook covers, purses, milking stools, saddles, holsters, etc. for my 4-H projects. Like Blacksmithing, leather craft seems to be a dying art. It's been about 40 years and I still carry my one of my checkbook covers with me to this very day. Nice to see that somebody is still carrying on the tradition. :thumbup:

:thumbup::thumbup: Thanks.

I also wanted to get into some black powder pistols, collecting and going to a range. It would be great to combine the hobbies and make some really nice holsters and small cases. I have to see where I can shoot at in NJ. They have some tough gun laws. Pennsylvania laws are a little more relaxed if your a resident. I have to check it all out . keep me busy in the winter.

Jim

Found a bowie Knife,, so i mad a leather sheath

You do quality work. I admire all types of handmade "stuff". I've been making knives since 1972 and I make all the sheaths for them. I know the labor of love that goes into handmade items. Wonder quality I see there. You should check out bladeforums.com, you could probably pick up some leather work there if interested.