Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Anybody run a Ram EcoDiesel?

Ronstar

Needing to upgrade my main truck from 2001 Dodge Cummins to newer platform. Hearing 3.0 Fiat diesel can easily pull 7600 GVW camp trailer. Stats indicate 3.0 has slightly better torque and HP ratings than my current 5.9. With 33 gal tank has 1000 mile range normal driving.
Looking for someone who has one and can offer opinions.

Good engines, but the older ones had a fatal flaw...don't know if the factory ever fixed it. One of the timing gears was simply pressed on the shaft. Under heavy loads, or higher rpm's they sometimes slipped. When they did it was complete destruction. A company in Salt Lake was, at one time, offering to disassemble, and pin the gear on new trucks. I haven't followed the story for years, so don't know what steps were taken. I'd do some research before buying.
Jim

Been doing my due diligence. The Gen 3 Fiat engine is so far quite well received. I just cant wrap my head around towing 7500 lbs behind a half ton truck but Im seeing quite a few videos of it handling it real good.
It will not be used to tow coast to coast rather probably within a 250 mile radius and maybe 20% of the time.

I have trailer brakes but the Eco does not have an exhaust brake. My 01 has a PacBrake and I prefer to have that if at all pissible. Eco supposed to have some pretty mammoth brakes on it but I cant find one around here to look at. I would not as a rule be going up or down any grades around here. Also the tow/haul mode supposedly has dome type of a retarding device on the tranny, but no clue

Sounds pretty good, Ron. Be sure and let us know how it works out. Apparently, they solved the timing gear problem. All else I heard was pretty good. No way it's going to match your 01....01 is what I drive, too, and love it. Over 354,000 miles and still going strong. On a trip to South Pass, WY. as I type this. Camped about a mile east of N. Oregon Butte right now.
Best, Jim

Wow Jim!! I’ve heard the truck will fall off the motor before the engine quits….😂
My truck about to roll 137k………

Youngest kid is a diesel mechanic, he called dibs years ago!!!!! Yes 4x4 and 5sp manual

Gets better…… has dana 80 rear and 60 front. Originally built for a slide in camper so hell bent for stiff suspension on the rear. I can put 600 lb tongue weight on hitch plus 650 lb ATV in bed and rear only drops about 3”. Rides like a shoe box empty and a 59 Caddy loaded.

Sounds like a great rig. Mine's a Dana 70 rear and 60 upfront. But, I've hauled 3300lbs in it with no problems. They all ride like lumber wagons...LOL, but great trucks for outdoorsmen.
Jim

I know this is lame but still driving and hauling my boat with a 1991 Toyota. It was rated at 116 hp . I can't kill the thing . 5 peed it looks like the trucks isis uses.

I was looking at trucks and the tamcoma has about 275 for the Tacoma if you get the 4 cylinder it is 170. I still use 1983 loweline stinger pro. It is 15 ft. The one one thing I found is I don't want any thing bigger to hard to to get on and off the trailer. I only fish electric. That is what our lakes are . I don't go to the Rappahannock anymore so I don't need a big truck. The 40 merc is for balance haven't ran it in 15 years. The miinkota autopilot pulls it fine. Just an old dinosaur.

Thinking I probably cant haul the ATV in the bed with the trailer attached. Mama finally admits we may not really need a 26’ motel on wheels. Maybe we can find a 19-22’ toy hauler that’s comfortable.
With the factory off road package (no 33 gal fuel tank) and 3.92 rear gearing it would still have a range of 675 miles with 26 tank and no hauling. Most guys I’ve talked with are saying 16-19 with 6000-7500 in tow.

My old 1991 with 22re can barely hall my 15 ft aluminum bass boat. You guys are crazy pulling what you do . Please be careful you are in my thoughts. Really and I mean really.