Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Anybody run a Ram EcoDiesel?

My old 1991 with 22re can barely hall my 15 ft aluminum bass boat. You guys are crazy pulling what you do . Please be careful you are in my thoughts. Really and I mean really.
I just hauled a 3,200lb camper, with another 900lbs on the flatbed of my '01. Absolutely no problems at all. Handled easily and averaged 14.8mpg at nearly 8,000'. Were running around the South Pass Wy area. Never got below 6,500' the whole trip, until we left Wyoming. Had a blast. Elk, mulies, wild horses, antelope, coyotes and Horned lizards. Found some cool rocks, and a bit of gold, too. Wife and I climbed. North Oregon Butte, too...not bad for her being almost 71 and me being almost 74. We've been doing this stuff together for over 50 years.
Jim

I pull trailer with 7600 lb max rating with 650 lb ATV in bed. All total Im around 15k rolling. One long grade middle of the state caused me to defuel climbing but she simply slowed and made the top eventually.
Fully loaded I average 15 on the highway, 22 if not hauling. Like anything else, common sense driving gets you there and back.

Wow Jim!! I’ve heard the truck will fall off the motor before the engine quits….😂
My truck about to roll 137k………
Heck, Ron, that's just broken-in...LOL. The history of mine was front wheel bearings at about 200,000, with front brakes. Then a complete rebuild of the engine accessories, including rebuilt injector pump, vaccuum pump, brake booster, alternator, etc., around 285,000. Then a tranny rebuild shortly after. Did brakes all around about the same time. Put about $10,000 into it all, doing all the work myself, other than the tranny (mine's an auto). Just replaced the radiator last fall. These things are a beast, but require some occasional care...Ha! I'd buy another '01/02 in a heartbeat. Rather have another than ANY new truck.
Jim

Jim,
Other than the lift pump going out (but still under warranty at that time) and other minor maintenance needs I basically have no expense in it. I had the injectors “four flowed” and a K&N cold aid kit installed (boy did that wake her up) and more recently had a PacBrake installed along with a new exhaust.
Promised the boy the truck and he’s earned it tenfold. Time for Mama and me to get a cushier ride and downsize the trailer a few feet. The 01 was bare bones when we got her and only had A/C, cruise, and semi power steering (I think if was a Tradesman of bare bones equipped). Because she was built for a slide in camper the ride is stiff as hell.

They're pretty good until about 200,000...then the front end needs some work. Most injector pumps are gone by 250-300 at best. From what I've read, I got about the max out of mine at 285,000. It started getting hard to start when hot....that's an indicator. Since I spend so much time off the pavement, I don't risk a problem. Once I get the first indications, I do the maintenance. Many VP-44 pumps are gone at 150,000. The problem appears to be overheating of the circuit board on the pump. The problem is much worse in places with a hot climate, which generally doesn't apply to me. May be the reason for the longevity of my pump. Hotrodding the pump, with chips, is another lifespan no-no, of course.
Jim