Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Anybody using the 3khz coils

I understand why you can not talk about that other coil but I guess you can post a picture of it on here. I think the Mod's were not looking to close to the pic's posted on here, lol

The company who makes them refuses to help sponsor this forum. Plus, they are not authorized or licensed by Minelab to even make the coils. So if someone makes posts mentioning the name of the company, it will be deleted. If you want a small DD 3kHz coil and a big DD 3 kHz coil, why wouldn't you consider one from Coiltek, a company who is licensed to manufacture them and supports this forum? JMHO HH Randy

All I'm interested in is; does it really make a difference using a 3khz coil looking for deep silver coins? what are your experiences?

The company who makes them refuses to help sponsor this forum. Plus, they are not authorized or licensed by Minelab to even make the coils. So if someone makes posts mentioning the name of the company, it will be deleted
Don't you just love censorship? Makes you wonder if manufactures that do support this form receive biased field reports or other posts slanted in their favor. Since when do AFTERMARKET products have to have a manufacturers blessing? Just keep that in mind next time you buy a spare part for your car.....

greg755 said:
The company who makes them refuses to help sponsor this forum. Plus, they are not authorized or licensed by Minelab to even make the coils. So if someone makes posts mentioning the name of the company, it will be deleted
Don't you just love censorship? Makes you wonder if manufactures that do support this form receive biased field reports or other posts slanted in their favor. Since when do AFTERMARKET products have to have a manufacturers blessing? Just keep that in mind next time you buy a spare part for your car.....
This is a road that we've been down many times regarding this peticular manufacturer. Not being authorized by MineLab alone should be enough to keep discussion/promotion of their product from this forum. So before this goes any further, please read the following that Randy wrote in another thread, and then don't see the forum stance as censorship, but rather doing you a favor by keeping everything above board.

Digger said:
For others who may not understand how this whole process rolls out, let me explain how I see it......The technical specifications for a given detector are patented by the OEM. In regard to the X-TERRA, that would be Minelab. An aftermarket manufacturing company (in the example of the All Terrain coil, Coiltek) approaches Minelab and negotiates for the rights to manufacture a product that interfaces with the detector. After all the legal steps are taken, an agreement is drawn up that allows the aftermarket company access to those specifications, in an effort to make their product. When that product is initially developed, it is carefully inspected by the OEM, to insure complete compatibility, that it will not create problems for the detector platform and that it performs up to the high standards established by that OEM. When that product design has been "accepted" by the OEM, the aftermarket company will apply for patent rights, as well as a license to manufacture that specific product. Depending on the accessory, manufacturing can start prior to the patent being accepted (patent pending). But due to legal stipulations, they will not typically begin the manufacturing process until they've been licensed to do so. When the license has been secured, the aftermarket manufacturer is "authorized" to produce and market the product. The first few products are sent to individuals who are very familiar with the product line, for testing. Depending on the particular product, this testing process can take as little as a few weeks, to more than a year. The end result that everyone works to achieve is a product that is a well designed, well built, functions properly and meets the needs of the consumer. I've tested many products that have gone on to become very successful as well as a few that never made it to the market. It takes time to workout the issues that can be resolved, and enough confidence (in your abilities) to inform the manufacturer if it doesn't meet the criteria. Regardless, of those that make it through testing, whether it takes two weeks or two years, the product is not likely to be introduced to the public until all the testing has been completed and the product has been accepted by all parties concerned. With the product having been accepted by the OEM, manufacturing continues. Once a given quantity of the product has been manufactured, it is distributed to the public through a distributor/dealer network.
So from a "time-line" perspective, offering an "authorized" aftermarket coil, properly designed and legally manufactured, is a much more technical and time consuming process than someone backward engineering a pirated product and selling them at an online auction site, with no responsibility to meet any specific technical standards.

greg755 said:
Don't you just love censorship? Makes you wonder if manufactures that do support this form receive biased field reports or other posts slanted in their favor.

Don't give me that censorship crap. This topic has been openly discussed many times...http://www.findmall.com/read.php?55,1449170,1543590#msg-1543590 http://www.findmall.com/read.php?55,1586316,1586713#msg-1586713 http://www.findmall.com/read.php?55,1715368,1715368#msg-1715368 http://www.findmall.com/read.php?55,1715807,1716210#msg-1716210

As to biased field test reports or other posts slanted in their favor....... how can you slant a post toward one aftermarket coil manufacturer when there is only one aftermarket coil manufacturer authorized to make coils for the X-TERRA?

Since you're new here, you may not realize that many of us put in a hell of a lot of time making posts and answering questions on this forum. And we do it so people like you can come on here to learn something about the X-TERRA. Some of us spend hundreds of hours each year, volunteering our time to help moderate these forums. We do it in an effort to maintain an interesting and honest exchange of ideas. And some of us spend hundreds of hours each year field testing new products for various manufacturers. And again, we do it so people like you can learn about a new product, before it hits the streets or before you spend your money on it.
You have made some bold comments for someone who has only been on this forum for two weeks. So next time you feel compelled to blame this forum for censorship, or suggest that field reports are biased toward forum sponsors, before making that post, 'd strongly suggest you read through some of the more than 14,500 posts that have been made on here . The answer is likely somewhere in those 14, 500 posts, provided to you by the largest group of X-TERRA users of any forum, worldwide.

greg755 said:
Since when do AFTERMARKET products have to have a manufacturers blessing? Just keep that in mind next time you buy a spare part for your car.....

They don't have to have a manufacturers blessing. But they should at least be a legally produced product. (VFLEX is patented technology) Buying a product that is authorized and licensed by the OEM insures quality and technical compatibility. It also provides an element of support to the user. Try getting the car manufacturer to honor the warranty if the "aftermarket product" you put on causes problems with the car.

The simple answer in theory is yes. This is based on the frequency matching up to the conductive qualities of silver.

I know a lot of theories that got thrown out the window. Anybody notice more, deeper, silver coins when using the 3khz coils? or is it just hype to sell more coils?

3kHz will penetrate the ground deeper and will hit on high conuctors like silver and copper harder than higher frequencies.
It's not hype.....it's what we've been waiting/hoping/praying for. And now that Coiltek produces quality items that meet out needs we can have them.

Yes, I find more, deeper, silver coins when using the 3 kHz coils. Partly due to the deeper penetration of lower frequency coils and partly due to the design layout of the notch segments in the X-TERRA. No hype. HH Randy

I know its next to longshot, but has anyone found a signal with a 3 khz coil that an Xterra with a med or hi freq. coil wouldn't register?

I can verify that I got a better signal when using the 4 Khz freq. on my XP Deus when compared to the 12 Khz freq. on a silver dime at 8". I would expect the Xterra coil frequencies to give similar results.

Mike T said:
I know its next to longshot, but has anyone found a signal with a 3 khz coil that an Xterra with a med or hi freq. coil wouldn't register?
It's not so much that they won;t register, but rather that they won't show as accurate or stable TID, and the audio response is different too.

I am a little confused (pretty normal) when you say better depth with the 3khz, are you referring to the 15" coil? I was interested in the 6" coming out and even coiltek specs sheet says the 6" is fair at depth but excellent for the 15". Likely will be next season with colder weather moving into michigan before I will get a chance to use the 3khz coiltek but thinking either would be great for parks and thought the 6 would be perfect but concerned about depth, or are my concerns unwarrented?

I have used my 3kHz coil a number of times, and often feel a little dubious about its effectiveness. Having said that, I have a farily reasoned feeling that the fault is mine, not the coil or the detector. Mike T, I suggest you read as much as you can about the coils and how to use them effectively if you want to get the best performance from one. One question I would have, for those who know, is; do you need to lower sensitivity when using the 3kHz coil...the reason I ask this is that my '70 gives lots of signals in the high range (42 -44) that are usually iron....these signals are not 'neat' signals, and so, after digging several bits or iron (just to check), I then pass them up. Am I missing much, as I only put on that coil to go after deep silver (it is the 9" concentric Minelab coil). I find that I get much more pleasurable and easy to interpret signals from my 7.5kHz and 18.75kHz coils. Any suggestions or help would assist, not just myself, but Mike T and others of us using the 3kHz coil. I am wondering whether the 6" Coiltek would be better for me in the park (often trashy) areas. Thanks for any replies. HH