Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Anyone Else Into Long Range/Precision Rifles?

Old Longhair

Crazy Ol' Foole
Staff member
Just wondering if I'm alone on the forum in this endeavor?

Nowhere around here in MA . To shoot one , otherwise it would be something I would like to do .

I used to spend a lot of time shooting the 600 meter plates in Arizona,, but that's been years ago.

I have been shooting a mile for several years but have not done so for a year or so, life is getting in the way.
I wish that I had a place to shoot a mile, but there's only one range in the state that has that option available to the public, and that's a good 4 hour drive from here.
What are you using for that distance? (just out of curiousity)

Nowhere around here in MA . To shoot one , otherwise it would be something I would like to do .
It's a hoot! Last year a few folks I know organized a private shoot out at NRA Whittington center in Raton, NM. It was a long drive from Michigan, but worth it. The comradery, challenge, and knowledge gained was priceless.
A local gun shop has purchased land to put in a ½ mile facility 40 minutes from me, and they're working through the court process now to get the township to grant the necessary permits. When they prevail, I'll be there every weekend. :cool:

I shoot a 7 Practical which is a 300 win mag that is not only necked down to 7mm, it also has the shoulders blown out a bit and all I ever do is to neck size, trim to length, load shoot and repeat.
I have also used a stock 7 mag with good success but like the heavier bullets and therefore needed a tighter twist, so I re-barreled. I also used a 6.5 Creedmor out to 1500 yards without much trouble.

1/2 mile - 850+ yards is nothing to sneeze at. Once you learn how to hit at 300+ with precision, 850+ will be fun!

Ive done some 5-600 yd coyote shooting using 22-250 right off my deck. Nice to have the room to do it!!!!!

1/2 mile - 850+ yards is nothing to sneeze at. Once you learn how to hit at 300+ with precision, 850+ will be fun!
My bad. I mis-typed. They're putting in a 3/4+ mile range. I believe they said 1375yds (3/4mi = 1320yds).

800yds is pretty easy for a lot of rounds. Go beyond 1K and things can start getting dicey, as the requirements for better glass and heavier projectiles to buck the wind enter the equation.

I can get 850 at the neighbors farm pretty easily when crops aren't in the way. After the corn comes down this fall I'm going to investigate a little more to see if I can go a bit over 1K, but I expect that will be about the max. I'm working up loads for my 6.5CM with the new 145gr Barnes Match Burners, and they're looking rather promising for use out to a mile.

Haven't been able to shoot over 500 yds since I was in the Corps. Mostly just 300 yds since ,, like you ,, when the crops came out. And iron sights only at this.