Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Anyone else notice this on shallow targets ?

ohiochris

Anything and everything about 3 to 4 inches or less gets three separate hits when swinging the coil over it , coil edge , centerline , coil edge. Shallow targets get 3 hits every time. I didnt notice that happening at first , but now it does this all the time. Some have said its normal but that dont seem right.

ohiochris said:
Anything and everything about 3 to 4 inches or less gets three separate hits when swinging the coil over it , coil edge , centerline , coil edge. Shallow targets get 3 hits every time. I didnt notice that happening at first , but now it does this all the time. Some have said its normal but that dont seem right.

That's normal with a round DD coil, same thing happens on the Etrac, CTX and the Equinox. It's was happening all time, you just didn't pay attention to it at first. That's just the nature of the beast.

Dan is correct, of course.

I've got more detectors than I can count, and all DD coils I've ever seen have always done that.

If you want to pinpoint it better (and confirm it's just one target), just lift the coil about 6" up while swinging until the signals merge into one.

ohiochris said:

That is a normal trait of all DD coils. It's nothing special to the EQX

Ok thanks. I was told on another forum that its normal too but just trying to get as much confirmation as possible. My AT pro does not do this , I used it often for years and other than an occasional....what I woud call an echo , the coil edge does not hit on targets , only the center. Which could be just part of normal variation in performance from one AT to another I dont know but the coil edges are very silent even on the very shallow stuff....with both the stock coil and 5x8. Going from that to a detector with very hot coil edges is a little strange.

"Double bleebs" are a quick way to identify shallow targets with this type of coil Chris, been doing it for years :detecting:
Laplander

When you say double bleeps it sounds like you may be describing something different , something my ATP does occasionally on shallow targets but not because the coil edge is hot. What Im talking about is the coil edges being just as sensitive as the center. I can hold the coil edges...just the outside edge , wiggle it back and forth and it will hit on the target all day. Just the outside edge of the coil. Completely passing the coil over the target gets three solid hits every time. I would get double beeps with the ATP but that was more the centerline of the coil getting something of an overload from what I could tell. The outside of the coil was not as sensitive as the center....which it appears to be on the nox.

ohiochris said:
When you say double bleeps it sounds like you may be describing something different , something my ATP does occasionally on shallow targets but not because the coil edge is hot. What Im talking about is the coil edges being just as sensitive as the center. I can hold the coil edges...just the outside edge , wiggle it back and forth and it will hit on the target all day. Just the outside edge of the coil. Completely passing the coil over the target gets three solid hits every time. I would get double beeps with the ATP but that was more the centerline of the coil getting something of an overload from what I could tell. The outside of the coil was not as sensitive as the center....which it appears to be on the nox.

If you want to see how sensitive the EQ's coil is, take a Coke can, set it on it's side, start about a foot away with the coil as close to the ground as possible and approach the can. It's rather impressive :)

Dan(NM) said:
If you want to see how sensitive the EQ's coil is, take a Coke can, set it on it's side, start about a foot away with the coil as close to the ground as possible and approach the can. It's rather impressive :)

I call it annoying. You can't get anywhere close to anything with re-bar or metal posts. Thats why the old nickname for DD coils was "widescan".

Jason in Enid said:

I call it annoying. You can't get anywhere close to anything with re-bar or metal posts. Thats why the old nickname for DD coils was "widescan".

LOL....I was being a bit sarcastic. It goes to show you how easy another target can be masked when another target is still several inches away. That's one of the reasons I don't usually run any disc other than my tone setting. This is where that small coil is going shine!!