Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Anyone have a huge chunky gold ring to check the ID on?

Cutaplug

I'm setting the upper and lower numbers for my gold jewelry mode and wondering if anyone has a huge gold ring they could test. I plan on using 2 or 3 for the lower part on land and definitely 1 in water... But upper number I haven't decided on yet. Looking for a nice balance of huge gold rings without the deteriorated zincs lol.

Personally.... id kick all the little stuff if you are beach hunting since the chains i tested came in at 1-2. BUT..... i can tell you from yesterdays hunt of 8 hours of heavy gridding....... there is a lot of gum wrappers on the beach lol. Most of the jewelry i tested came in at 4......... but you have to remember my finds are from the CTX/Xcal which doesnt get smaller gold. I do have a good many HEAVY/LARGE rings...... few came in at 23. Again, hunting in the dry sand you can tell its a small target in the 1-3 range. Most of the time you can move the sand with your toes....... its that shallow of a target and takes a second. I did get a toe ring 14K rose gold...... it came in at 4. EQ would get it at about 5".... CTX at 2 1/2.

Gold rings can ring-in at almost every CO number from 1 (very small and light gold) to 40s (very large and heavy). This year I have found 6 gold rings the smallest was 1.22g (12:02) and 2.84g (12:06) to a large 10.88g (12:25). However, heavier gold rings will go higher on the CO scale including a 20.5g ring at 12:46 (unfortunately not mine). However, I undertook a recent survey of ring weight and CO number and the vast majority of gold rings (96%) have a weight under 12g with a corresponding CO of 30. Sooo, it would be fairly safe to ignore all CO values above 31 (I'd use 34) to capture most, but not all, gold rings while screening out most, but not all, zinc cents. Warning, heavier silver falls in the 12-13:44-49 range and ignoring the higher CO values would lead you to miss silver.

PS Had to dig about 300+ juice tops to get the small gold and diamond band at 12:02. Also, gold studded diamond ear rings can ring-in at 12:01. But the cost in terms of time and energy to retrieve gold at 12:01-12:03 is onerous given, as said earlier, all the dang aluminum foil and the like.

LawrencetheMDer said:
Gold rings can ring-in at almost every CO number from 1 (very small and light gold) to 40s (very large and heavy). This year I have found 6 gold rings the smallest was 1.22g (12:02) and 2.84g (12:06) to a large 10.88g (12:25). However, heavier gold rings will go higher on the CO scale including a 20.5g ring at 12:46 (unfortunately not mine). However, I undertook a recent survey of ring weight and CO number and the vast majority of gold rings (96%) have a weight under 12g with a corresponding CO of 30. Sooo, it would be fairly safe to ignore all CO values above 31 (I'd use 34) to capture most, but not all, gold rings while screening out most, but not all, zinc cents. Warning, heavier silver falls in the 12-13:44-49 range and ignoring the higher CO values would lead you to miss silver.

PS Had to dig about 300+ juice tops to get the small gold and diamond band at 12:02. Also, gold studded diamond ear rings can ring-in at 12:01. But the cost in terms of time and energy to retrieve gold at 12:01-12:03 is onerous given, as said earlier, all the dang aluminum foil and the like.

I think you're referring to the etrac or CTX but I was asking about the equinox =) Am I at the right place? lol

dewcon4414 said:
Personally.... id kick all the little stuff if you are beach hunting since the chains i tested came in at 1-2. BUT..... i can tell you from yesterdays hunt of 8 hours of heavy gridding....... there is a lot of gum wrappers on the beach lol. Most of the jewelry i tested came in at 4......... but you have to remember my finds are from the CTX/Xcal which doesnt get smaller gold. I do have a good many HEAVY/LARGE rings...... few came in at 23. Again, hunting in the dry sand you can tell its a small target in the 1-3 range. Most of the time you can move the sand with your toes....... its that shallow of a target and takes a second. I did get a toe ring 14K rose gold...... it came in at 4. EQ would get it at about 5".... CTX at 2 1/2.

23 noted =) I spent a day grinding too in the lower numbers and ended up with 10 pieces of jewelry that others had missed. No pull tabs or larger targets at all so I know the place was pounded. Only got the tiny earrings and such. Got 6 junk, 3 silver earrings, 1 gold earring with pearl and diamonds. Etrac wouldn't even touch the earring with it right on the coil. I hear you about the gum wrappers lol. I'll probably do some experimenting with single frequency 20 and see if it will hit the smaller gold and eliminate the tiny wrappers. Probably not but worth a shot.

SandSleuth said:
I have a half ounce 22K ring that is 12-39 on the CTX, it's a 23 on the Nox. Won't get much higher than that.

Perfect looks like 23 is the number then. I'll probably run 23 in the water and something less on land to skip zincs.

Lawrence..... ive got a lot of class rings, huge nugget ring, and even a GM ring thats over 25 grams........ nothing ive found thus far goes over 23 digit. In fact some of them oddly drop well below where i expected them to hit. Penny range still seems to be the limit thus far. You might get a copper or silver ring with some gold on it...... but i dont believe we will see a gold ring hit at 40.... but lets hope. Most people will be looking for a window..... kind of like digging chains some just aint going to continue hunting long just watching that 0-2 digit..... lot of small gum wrappers on a beach...... and a lot of beach. Hey...... but this machine will do it if you have the patience thats the great thing about it.

My first time out with my new nox I hit a 10K college class ring that weighed 14.6 grams and it came up 20/21...same as a fresh zinc penny. Most zincs that have been in the ground for a short period ring up 19/20. I've had very corroded ones ring up at 17. So you never know once you get in the zinc range.