Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Anyone have a suggestion on a beach in CT.

Digdoggy

Hi, I've got a X-Terra 705 Gold and a BH for an old friend diagnosed with cancer who's people shy but dreams of trying detecting the beach. He mentioned Hammonasset more than once. I haven't been there in around 40 yrs. I couldn't get much help on a friendly place on the web.
Is there a beach that has some good hunting left here in Connecticut because id like to hunt our sands as well. Never had the 705 at the shore. The BH only a few hrs at most, actually about 3 hrs. Had the BH on the beach twice just hitting bottle caps a bunch. I guess its pretty hard finding good targets .Would appreciate a tip on where we could go. Thanks folks...HH

Try zooming around on satellite...

I just went to mapquest, and used their satellite to zoom in on some Connecticut beaches...one I liked the looks of is off X61 on 95...not far to the east is a Madison Country Club..nice rich looking homes with a small beach area that looks to be public...parking too...does not look like it would be too hard to hunt and no long walk or anything...

Find a few in your area using the satellite, drive on over to check out the crowd, or go to one really early am and give it a quick sweep to see what may be possible...you got to go really early if you dont want to see a lot of people, but hey, thats the best time to be out anyhow..watch the sun come up and all...Good Luck...there seems to be plenty of beaches...the main thing is to get out and see what any of them hold to determine if they are good or not.:thumbup:
Mud

Thanks, I'm going to try satelite maps and like you say we have to ride there and just check it out. I prob should have worded the post better. I wouldn't expect folks to give up a honey hole that's been spitting gold rings at you when you just point the detector..lol and my friend had surgery on the cancer and so far its been looking good. He'd prob never pick up a detector again after we finally do hit a beach. Me...ha...I dream of Silver n Gold and crave dirt.
HH n Gl to all..

Satellite is a pretty powerful way of finding a spot to hunt, and thats possibly the biggest challenge to success in our sport...finding a good place!

I live 1000 miles from CT. but that satellite lets me check out parks, schools, old RR tracks, old swimming holes, beaches, etc...you can zoom around ANY city or town, find the area you think has potential based upon what you are seeing, you can evaluate the old dirt, new housing developments, rich neighborhoods...everything from a birds eye view...then go and ransack them to see if your assessment was correct, if anybody has been sweeping them regularly and the like...it works very well when a guy has never been to a spot, and travels a lot, can see a little town just off an exit on the freeway, zip off there and hit the park or swimming hole in short order..:thumbup: You get good at FINDING spots, and all that gold and silver are sitting there waiting for you to come and get it..
Mud

rocky neck state park east lyme ct. used to live in ct and hunted there. last time i was there, md was ok. beach and water hunting is easy as sand is very fine and water conditions are tame with minimal currents, waves and no dropoffs. Hammonasset--use to be an old target range--you'll find spend bullets at the shoreline, beach is gravel and the water has dropoffs--rips in areas when tides change. also, sherwood island--stamford area--never hunted there.

I'm sorry to rain on your parade Mud, but most of the "primo" hunting areas in Ct have been worked to death, require daily parking fees or are restricted to residents "in season", mostly all of the above!!!

I'm sorry Dig, but I almost laughed out loud when I read your post title and my initial response was, "Yeah, try Rhode Island if you want a chance of finding anything!!":biggrin:

In reality I have lived here on the Long Island Sound shore of Connecticut for almost 44 years and could ask the same question myself after many years of water/beach hunting here.

Message me for more info and a possible hunt!!

CJ

Dammmit! Theres always something! A guy cant find anything sitting around in the house! And, the dudes got cancer, so whats a parking or trespass ticket to him? I think the guys too new to the Forum to message you CJ...but at least he pulled you out of the woodwork for you to offer him some help!:clapping:

I was hoping when I made my original post I was not infringing on one of your spots..that one sure looked good from the air to me...and, theres a little island just offshore to the NE that I bet is awesome if a guy had a little boat..I can see people would gunkhole there waiting for the ramp to clear and all....

That there was a good write up Kimbershot...good detail of a place a fellow would want to know.:thumbup:. Man, its tough finding a spot...but once you do, its all worth the hunt! :thumbup:
Mud

start here, http://www.historicaerials.com/ no beach's are ever hunted out, and can change daily if they are in touch with the water, Now for the dry sand ...fresh drop season is coming.................. a way around the passes, most place you can have someone drop you off while you and your friend hunt Good Luck and HH...

Thanks to all
I'm sure that I'll remain a park and woods hunter but will probably do an ocasional beach hunt. As I wrote in the second entry, I prob should've worded the first one differently. I noticed reading posts on other forums beach hunting had some pretty serious people. Its all good chat. Frankie, the old friend w cancer. Isn't gonna stick to mding even though he's doing well after they cut some of that crap out of him. I read a really good article on beach detecting on a website Metaldetectingworld.com (think that's the name). The writer (French Canadian name) says the beaches will never run out of good targets. Even seasoned hunters may want to take a look at why he writes that and about the littoral line and all. I think I'll deffinately keep wandering the woods. Old silver coins is favorite find, I know- isn't it everybody's? The day I looked in the shalow hole and saw that silver half still shining and read 1907 was the clincher. A couple weeks earlies on an old path a 64 kennedy half. Of coarse the beach has gold possibility.

I live about 4 hours from tons of beaches. My MO: Break AT-Pro down to 2 pieces, put it and short scoop in a bag with a shoulder strap. Take bag and bike to bus. Bike and bag go into baggage compartment. Take bus to destination near beach. Google beach. Yelp will have bicycle directions to beach from destination. "Ride" the route online a few times to see if it's a good one. If not, find your own route. Ride to beach, enjoy your day. Ride back to bus. sleep on the way home. HH

Good targets are everywhere and they are nowhere. I could tell you of all my "HOT SPOTS" but everything I have found at them are GONE, I have them. As for the CT State beaches most are open to detecting from before the life guards arrive and after they leave the beach - usually they are on duty from 9 or 10am until 5 or 6pm. Likewise many of the town beaches are open to detecting in the same time span.
Just abide by the posted signs for parking and you should have no problem. Good luck and knowing the law will make a days detecting more memorable.

STATE OF CONNECTICUT
DEPARTMENT OF ENVIRONMENTAL PROTECTION
BUREAU OF OUTDOOR RECREATION, STATE PARKS DIVISION
POLICY/PROCEDURE #312 October 31, 2002 Revised 3/4/2008
SUBJECT: METAL DETECTION - COLLECTING GUIDELINES
SECTION INDEX: I. USE OF METAL DETECTION DEVICES
I. USE OF METAL DETECTION DEVICES
The use of metal detection devices is permitted on land under the jurisdiction of the Department of Environmental
Protection under the following conditions:
1. The activity shall be limited to surface collection except at beach areas where digging is permitted in sand areas devoid
of vegetation. However no collecting or digging will be allowed in areas of sand dunes adjoining the beach
area proper. Digging must be done by hand with all motorized devices prohibited. All holes dug must be
refilled immediately before the collector leaves the site.
2. The use of metal detection devices will only be permitted when the beach is not being used by the public for other
purposes.
3. Persons using a metal detector are required to use a trash apron to store all materials found. The collector may retain
articles found, except items of a personal nature such as jewelry and watches, which must be turned into the
manager in charge. Any material the collector does not wish to retain shall be placed in a waste receptacle.
4. No specific permit is required at this time.
5. Staff may close any area to this activity for purposes of maintaining visitor safety and/or preserving significant
artifactual remains.
The use of metal detectors is prohibited at the following state park areas:
Airline Trail State Park

Water Walker you write - "As for the CT State beaches most are open to detecting from before the life guards arrive and after they leave the beach - usually they are on duty from 9 or 10am until 5 or 6pm."

Thank you for sharing with the newer members in your hobby. We maybe deciding soon whether to follow the lead of our neighboring states. Interpretation of current code is an important factor.

I have not been to any NY state beaches in over 6 years, when I was threatened with a fine for detecting in the water in October. A small sign stuck in the sand read "BEACH CLOSED" and the Park Rangers meant it. We left the State beach and tried to get permission for a town beach and were told the same regulation applied to their beach also. The two beach made us believers that after detecting them for some 18 years we were not welcome any more and have not gone back. I know Long Island beaches require a written permission as do many other NY parks, both state and town. Know the laws, ask before detecting and stay safe.