Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Anyone have any idea what this is?

Terry2113

I found this very small, metallic object the other day in an old school yard.

It is very small (look at it in comparison to a Penny), but does contain what seems to be tree or flower motifs.
There are letters, but nothing that seems to spell anything.

Anyone have any idea as to what this is?

Attachments

• IMG_0160.jpeg
    IMG_0160.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 119
  • IMG_0159.jpeg
    IMG_0159.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 118
  • IMG_0158.jpeg
    IMG_0158.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 129
Hello, neat find but I think there is a catch, I believe what you have is an ancient Roman coin, run a search on :
Ancient Rome Prutah of Marcus Ambibulus or Coponius
and I think you'll see it. The only catch is that there were a huge number of copies of these, (They are considered a Biblical coin) because folks just wanted an example as a curiosity, not just coin collectors. At least one site I checked stated that the perfectly circular form generally indicated a copy but to determine for sure you'd really need to do your own research. Cool find and happy hunting.

Just a bit of follow up, the prutah was bronze or copper, minted in Judea under Roman occupation (hence it's designation as a Roman coin), in its day it was worth two lepta (the lepta was the coin referred to as the "widows mite''. The patterns on the coin are a head of grain and a palm tree with two bunches of dates. It really is an interesting coin to look up.

Very interesting. Thanks for the help.
It's definitely a reproduction, being perfectly round without any distortion that would be expected in a real coin. Which aligns with having been found in a school yard. It was probably someone's gift-shop souvenir.

Thanks again