Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Anyone notice this

Dennis 2

It was 48 out here in MA yesterday , So I took the ET out to a cellar -hole and old home site. I was using a modified coin program in Co. auto sens. + 3. Now this is only the third time out with the ET, which is allot different then my EX2. So I have allots to learn .But what I did notice is cut nails ( iron) come in it a high tone like silver at
43,42....Ferrous just bounces between 8 to 12 .
I hear people say they don't dig iron ,but I don't find that to be the case. Has anyone else noticed this.
I have to say it does go deep, I found a old St Christopher metal at 12" and it was the size of a dime. It also seems that tone ID is the only way to go.....If its high dig it( coin hunting) Numbers just bounce to much over 5".
Dennis 2

That was pretty much my experience at sites just like that which are mainly what I hunt so I kept a Fisher CZ-70 and an Explorer XS I have that really don't false as much on iron frankly for me. I'm sure many on here can help reduce that problem since the E-Trac has been out now for several months and many have quite a few hours on them with some nice finds...and Andy Sabisch's new book which is SUPER! I've been wondering if I ran the sensitivity too high at auto +3 and should just run auto where the machine recommends the sensitivity to be an not push it?...HH

Tony Hunt said :"Try your threshold pitch at 1. You'll have full tonal variability. It will make coins and nails sound totally different."
I might also try ferrous instead of conduct to see if that will keep Cut nails in a lower tone.

Problem solved if you switch over to QM and ID object with no Discrim. Should let you know what you are dealing with.

I like to check targets out in QM too if they are iffy, but seen a couple of times where it sounded iffy in my coin pattern, so I go to QM and it was more repeatable and showed iron on the ferrous numbers. I would normally not dug it, but it sounded very repeatable in disc, but iffy so I would go back and see in disc it maybe iffy, but it was reading more coin than iron . Found that there was a wheatie in with some nails around it so in the QM it was reading more of the iron while in the coin pattern it was trying to disc out the nails and pick up more on the coin.