Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Anyone Still Using The 70 or 705?

morelic1955

I have 2 70's and a 705. Have just bought the Nox 800 and have hard time weening off of the X-Terra. They have been real good to me since the beginning. Some have touted the Nox 800 is a replacement for the X-Terra, I see no compare to the X-Terras at this point. Keep in mind that I'm a strict old home place, CW Relic hunter and could care less about stepping foot in a city park. The 10.5 DD 18khz coil rules as far as I'm concerned.

Never used the 70 or 705, but have a 50 that was my first detector.
Started put in 2006 and have made many great finds with it.
I bought an Equinox 800 in 2019 and have not used the XTerra since.
With that said, the XTerra line are still very capable of making great finds, but for me I have done much better with the Equinox.

I have no intension of ever parting with my 705. It works too well to set aside.
My Explorer SE on the other hand, may find a new home if I can get anything for it. It works alright, but between the weight and the capability of newer models out there, it might have to go.

I’m not “sold” on the equinox as it has a rechargeable battery. Having owned 2 excals, one learns the excessive cost that minelab demands for replacement. The excal battery costs $160.00 or more. If the equinox had the capability of using a removable nicad or AA battery pack, that would attract more folks like me.

The Vanquish was intriguing enough for me to purchase one. The 540 was on sale recently and picked it up for $289.00. It doesn’t have all the features of the 705 like the prospecting mode, makes a great coin machine. The 705 has been used some here in the gold fields. When they stopped making them, I cleaned it up and put it up to preserve it for future uses. Sad to see Minelab end it’s production. But that’s usually what happens, they get something that “works” beautifully, then they terminate it.

The Vanquish was intriguing enough for me to purchase one. The 540 was on sale recently and picked it up for $289.00. It doesn’t have all the features of the 705 like the prospecting mode, makes a great coin machine. The 705 has been used some here in the gold fields. When they stopped making them, I cleaned it up and put it up to preserve it for future uses. Sad to see Minelab end it’s production. But that’s usually what happens, they get something that “works” beautifully, then they terminate it.
If the relic hunters ever figured out that Prospecting Mode was terrific on deep targets, you wouldn't be able to find a used one for sale.

Sad day, I used my Low serial #70 yesterday and the notch indicators on the bottom of the screen have disappeared. The only way they show up is you notch out a segment. Still works, I always use all metal 2 tones anyways, never use the other patterns or notch anything out.
Good thing is, I have 2 other 70's to play with!

Found this on another Board..........

Minelab manufactured the X-Terra 50s and X-Terra 70s in Ireland. I owned both models and found them to be as good as any mid level detector made in 2005 to 2008. When the X-Terra 705, 305 and 505s came out in 2009 they were still made in Ireland I think. When the Codan/Minelab deal was signed, Plexus Manufacturing in Malaysia started making selected Minelab detectors in 2010, including some of the X-Terras. I also owned each model for awhile…..305, 505 and 705. They were all made in Malaysia. I did not see a difference in quality or performance. The 705’s prospecting mode was outstanding………buying different coils for changing frequencies and for waterproof/not waterproof along with its kind of nebulous discrimination mode was not so outstanding. I wish I still had my XT70 just for nostalgic reasons, but the Equinox and even the Vanquish to a lesser degree, will detect rings around the XTs from my experience.
I think the facility in Cork, Ireland is for European repairs and sales now with no manufacturing.

I have no intension of ever parting with my 705. It works too well to set aside.
My Explorer SE on the other hand, may find a new home if I can get anything for it. It works alright, but between the weight and the capability of newer models out there, it might have to go.
Off topic, but besides weight, what turns you off about the Explorer series, my 2010 model se pro is still my lone detector. I'm obviously not well versed in a variety of detectors, but I "think" it still can hold its own with the best?

I've owned many Xterras and still own/use the 705. They're great detectors period. Too many things to list that make them work well (especially the 7s), effective and most of all enjoyable to use.
There's pros and cons to all detectors. The noxs and others costing much more have some advantages (the Vs only a couple) but they're not better at everything. I own more expensive ones but I'll always keep and use my 705 and other 'outdated' machines like my 1212Xs.
Some comparisons to the the $950 nox 800 -