Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Anyone that has a Deus try the CTX 3030 yet... Any advice?

mrwilburino said:
Gonehunting- Just curious.......what settings have you tried for maximum depth from the Deus? Particularly in your test garden?
Here was the last setting... I could only get a scratchy tone on the dime and bent nail... It is buried(4years) at 9 inches.. may be a little deeper now....
disc 8.2
sens 98
freq17.7
iron vol. 3
reactivity 1 on the test garden, hunting 2 to 3 lower if less trash, higher if more...
audio 3 tried at 4 no joy. Tx power at 3 cause there is no other trash in the ground.... backed of to 2 or 1 in the heavy trash..to get away from signal saturation..
4 tones audio.. silver high, 89 to 70 for second tone 3 69 to 8.3.... I check every signal above 25...(when I relic hunting)
ground usually balances from 75 to 82.. nothing to harsh soil wise that is..
I am probably missing something but I have really spent a lot of time with it but can't get the depth others are talkin about

Gonehunting said:
mrwilburino said:
Gonehunting- Just curious.......what settings have you tried for maximum depth from the Deus? Particularly in your test garden?
Here was the last setting... I could only get a scratchy tone on the dime and bent nail... It is buried(4years) at 9 inches.. may be a little deeper now....
disc 8.2
sens 98
freq17.7
iron vol. 3
reactivity 1 on the test garden, hunting 2 to 3 lower if less trash, higher if more...
audio 3 tried at 4 no joy. Tx power at 3 cause there is no other trash in the ground.... backed of to 2 or 1 in the heavy trash..to get away from signal saturation..
4 tones audio.. silver high, 89 to 70 for second tone 3 69 to 8.3.... I check every signal above 25...(when I relic hunting)
I am probably missing something but I have really spent a lot of time with it but can't get the depth others are talkin about

Try running your disc lower, switch to 12 Khz, and ground balance as low as possible without causing the machine to go all crazy. I run my at 0 disc and ground balance about 5-10 points below what pumping gives me. Give this a shot and let us know if it helps.

E-TREC-Virginia said:
Gonehunting said:
mrwilburino said:
disc 8.2
sens 98
freq17.7
iron vol. 3

Try running your disc lower, switch to 12 Khz, and ground balance as low as possible without causing the machine to go all crazy. I run my at 0 disc and ground balance about 5-10 points below what pumping gives me. Give this a shot and let us know if it helps.
putting in the settings now and will try it on my next relic hunt... will running it to zero do away with the lowest tone?

Gonehunting said:
E-TREC-Virginia said:
Gonehunting said:
mrwilburino said:
disc 8.2
sens 98
freq17.7
iron vol. 3

putting in the settings now and will try it on my next relic hunt... will running it to zero do away with the lowest tone?

Yes, if the discrimination threshold is set to 0 or 2, most iron will generate not low- but medium-pitched tones, as you will practically be in the All Metals mode. In this case, the iron level setting will not be of much use.

Ok I will try this out. Just would like some depth.. lol

thanks guys

Good video, and the test was well done, however this is another example of the the Deus not being set up quite rite for max depth. Dropping the disc and reactivity levels to "0" and increasing the sensitivity to 99 could have made a noticeable difference in this test garden scenario.

mrwilburino said:
lots of noise with that setting how do you know when you strike a good target, also would you suggest 3 or 4 tone and how would you recommend that being set as well. thanks HH
Yeah, zero disc should get you down there. Ditto with zero reactivity.

If you ground balanced properly and tried a frequency shift to deal with EMI, then it's probably better to keep disc and reactivity at 0 and back off some on sensitivity if it's still too noisy. If you're coin hunting, go with four tones since you're going to lose one tone with zero disc. Then you could do a low tone for iron and foil, a mid tone for nickels and aluminum, and a high tone for copper and silver......or add the foil range to the mid tone if you're looking for jewelry also.

IMO - This video proves only one thing: the stock programs that come with the Deus should probably all be tweaked.

I probably have over 200 hours now on my Deus and use my custom program for 99% of my detecting in plowed fields with little iron or non-ferrous trash. I'm satisfied that I don't miss much up to 8" and we compare signals all the time with the E-Trac when someone thinks they have a deep target. Yes - by and large the E-Trac is a deeper machine with better target ID at depth but I get to work an area faster which leads to more target's recovered. More targets means more keepers.

I created a mock 2 tone program (using the 3 tone setting) which I put into Program 9 - everything under a 40 is a low tone and everything over 40 is a high tone. Usually nothing under 60 is worth anything here in the USA. In UK where I'm taking the Deus this October for a week - I'll adjust the lower ID break point down to 30. In the UK the lower conductive is what they're after - gold and hammered...on the E-Trac 12-02 to 12-25...

Disc = 1.0
Expert = 3 tones
Expert = tone 1: 202 (iron to 1.0 disc); tone 2: 204 (everything from 1.0 to 40); tone 3: 782 (everything over 40)
Sens = 90 (but you can pump this up as needed - I like it to run quiet)
Freq = 12khz (seems the best for all size targets and good depth)
Iron Vol = 2 (have not played with this much)
Reactivity = 1
Expert = Silencer = 3 (have not played with this much)
Audio Resp = 3
Expert = Audio Overload = 1
GB - my ground usually comes in the high 70's. I use manual at 85 and it runs nice and stable.

alex74 said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EkcFWajzRzA

I'm brand new to the Deus. I've found this machine deeper than my ET in achieving a clear signal on a few tests, such as a modern quarter burried at 12 inches in my mineralized soil. What I've found in the very short period of time in using is that depth is hugely different if using something similar to the following:
Good GB
Sens to liking
4-8 frequency
Reactivity 2 or less
***Silencer around 1 or less*** key setting

Starting in relic, all you need to do, if needed, is adjust the silencer down low and maybe run frequency down to 4. 12 or 17 just aren't designed for depth from what I can see.

As I said, brand new to the deus...haven't even done a hunt with it yet, only played around for an hour or so in my yard, so take this with a grain of salt. I have about 2 years with the ET and on this test quarter, everything I've tried simply gives a faint non-repeatable warble...with manual 30 the only setting that seems to make a difference. Manual 19-22, nothing.

Randy

Gonehunting said:
Going back to the E-trac and Deus.. I have hunted quite a bit with both and do well with both, But for the life of me, I can't get near the depth of the E-trac with the Deus... Even in my test garden I can't the Deus to get down to my deeper targets the E-trac has can hit.. I have been roaming the UK forums for several months getting settings, but I think the reason they get more depth is their soil has be plowed or rolled consistently... Mostly where I hunt the soil is compacted or "not tilled/plowed" or not disturbed. Now I do relic hunt in the woods with the Deus and it is really good in the woods cause most of the targets are shallow(less than 5 inches) It really is impressive in iron... But when I take it to town or old homeplaces, where the coins are sometimes deeper and the soil hasn't been disturbed, my Deus seems to miss most deeper targets, I said most, cause on rare occasion I do get one around 8 or 9, but most of the targets deeper than 7 inches I do not hear.. I can go back with the Trac and find the deeper targets.. So what I have been doing is using the Deus to recon a new yard and quickly check it for older targets, if it produces I come back with the Trac and clean it up...I have only had 6( 5 coins, one ring) instances the Trac missed something shallow that the Deus picked up, but multiple instances that the Deus missed something that the Trac found deeper... Don't get me wrong I love both machines and I hunt with both.. I think they complement each other... In my opinion if you want to quickly scour a yard and get most of the targets from the 6inch mark and up use the Deus, If you want to take your time and find every good(conductive signal, above iron) then the Trac would be better..
I now have the CTX.. Today was the first day I have really gotten to take it out to a yard that has been pounded to death, by both the Deus and Trac. I have found numerous targets with both... but I found several targets that I had missed.. 2 mercs 4 wheats, a metal picture, and a good for token from Drifton, Alabama.. the targets weren't real deep, between 5-8 inches.. The token, 1 dime, and 2 wheats were in the front yard that has been pounded by 3 different machines..2 tracs, 1 Deus... Im not even close to giving any kind of advice on it, just what I had found today, really made me think my decision wasn't a waste... I will say this, if the new Deus update adds about 3 to 4 inches of depth( in non disturbed soil), to the machine, It will be hard to put it down, at least for me.
The Dues air tests fine, it really can pick up signals at 7-12 inches, but in the soil no... The E-trac on the other hand, doesn't air test well but in the soil does better... I think that's why the Deus does better than the Trac in plowed soils.. and the Trac better in undisturbed soils. Just my opinion..GH

I have noticed that the Deus will sound off on Metal further away from the coil when it is on top of the ground like a shovel or post. I checked it today I put my relic shovel in the ground standing up. The Deus sounds off at 3 feet, the Trac(and ctx too) hit almost 1 1/2 feet, makes me wonder if the way the coil is wrapped, is off? like its not focused down as much as it is to the sides...

I will look at those settings too... Thanks every for the help... Didn't mean to hijack the thread. Lol

alex74 I would not run Deus sensivity at 90, even if I was a beginner. You should try this setup: GMP at 18 kHz, discrimination at 5.0, sensivity 99, TX at 3, Ground Balance on Tracking.

Thanks for posting my video, im happy to see another forum that allows vs videos as quite a few forbid it!
i would just like to say this wasnt ment to be a video bashing the deus as the deus is a valued tool in my arsnal, it was just to show the ctx really.
feel free to sugest some settings on the coments of the video as im sure the deus could do better.
and you are right the thing my videos show best is that the deus's standered programs are sadly laking
cheers
Tombs

theres a review of the CTX in the latest copy of the Treasure Hunting mag.
the reviewer speaks of digging up foil ,aluminium can lids and nails so it looks as if the discrim is no better than anything available already and at a sensible price .

I don't think minelab really made a big jump just more of the same but better. We all want the best to hold us for a few years and I think it will be the Deus and the Bliss and the new Fisher/Tek that will be the leaders with my money on Fisher/Tek

This is what I read elsewhere from a man who owns both machines.

Quote= I Still have my Deus and

Denar1 said:
alex74 I would not run Deus sensivity at 90, even if I was a beginner. You should try this setup: GMP at 18 kHz, discrimination at 5.0, sensivity 99, TX at 3, Ground Balance on Tracking.

hi Denar
umm i would not recomend at all running the deus with sens at 99 for a beginner it saturates the signals n if you dont have your ear in with the signals this will just make things worse, fair enough on bigger conductive things in clean ground but in bizy ground and small conductive coins etc this is a total nightmair inless you realy realy have your ear in with the xp sounds