Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Anyone tried one of the larger SEF coils (12x15 or larger) on the beach? If so, how did it work?

Gary, I have tried the 15" WOT on west coast salt beaches and it does not like wet sand. It works fine in dry sand. The Pro coil works fine wet or dry. HH Terry

I had the 12x15 and thought it was a great coil. Problem was I didn't have any areas large enough to hunt to use it so I sold it. Go figure though, after I sold it my tectin' bud got a 100 acre school property for us to hunt and I needed the big coil. Ended up catching a deal on the WOT and have been impressed by it as well. Definitely needed the swingy thingy with the big coils for a day long tectin' marathon, as it relieves a lot of strain on your arm and upper back.

I use a swingy thingy. When hunting in the dry sand and it's an uneven surface with footprints, etc,, controlling the height off the sand takes more concentration and energy. With a coil that big you'll find it stops swinging the second it hits a ridge of sand you didn't adapt to. The only real advantage with mine, so far, is the increased area you can hunt in the same amount of time. I don't know if it's any deeper. I do think it pinpoints just about as well as any of the other Double D coils. Jim

I have the 12x15 and it is great for covering large areas such as beaches. I use a harness with it too. It's almost mandatory unless your The Incredible Hulk or King Kong! I was finding really deep coins at the beach this summer and it was nice to be able to cover such a large area fast. It might not have worked as good in wet sand but there was such a small strip of wet sand at the beach I was hunting it could have just been smaller area. I like it at ball fields and parks too. Mike

My buddy has one (12x15) - it hit a colonial shoe buckle at 16+ inches in turned farm ground - my stock 11" did not even register the target...

Gary I had one for a little while but it was just to heavy to swing. I tried two versions of the slings and neither worked well for me on sloped ground and thats what I mostly hunt so I sold the coil. good performance but the weight is a killer, feels a good deal heavier than the WOT coil if youve ever used one of them.
I do have the 10X12 and thats a great one although again, heavier than the stock pro coil.

but generally, they all felt it gave them some great depth advantages over the stock coil. I'm going to start looking for a used one, but they are hard to find.

Use the 15x12 for hours at a time in farm fields. Yes it is heavier than the stock coil, but Its fine for a 3-4 hour hunt for a skinny guy like me....

just ordered mine for the farm hunts should be here this week - will let you know.
was able to hunt for 7 hours yesterday with the 11" stock coil - if you can manage 4 hours with the 12x15 - that will be plenty...