Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Anyone Using a CTX w/17" Coil Underwater on a Regular Basis?

Flat bottom, not much current, clear water. Mainly looking for bottom coverage, not depth. Any issues I may want to be aware of? I understand the weight/resistance thing - I currently swing a GPZ for eight plus hour type days.

The resistance's tough but it works

I dove with mine a few times last year in an area I hunted hard with my Excalibur, the faster recovery opened up approximately twenty percent more targets than my Excal both in minimal disc. I bought the 6 inch coil which opened up another ten percent. I am now going in with my tiger shark to finish it off. My screen is giving me issues now that just started this year, from what I have read that is a consequence of diving with it. I did Frogman's gasket replacement which saved my unit. I was wading last year before the conversion and for the first time I got water in the battery. Thankfully I caught it right away but it did turn the contacts green. I cleaned them and lightly coated it with dielectric grease which has worked well.

Any specific questions I can answer?

UWMM

Not really. I have a large beach area to work and figure targets may be sparse so I am looking at the best way to cover area. I have normally worked heavy surf where the coil would not be an option. The water is much calmer where I am going so figure the 17" may be the ticket. I will of course have alternatives.

I mainly was wanting to hear from anyone that has done it who thinks "don't do that because I did and....."

I've only used the 17 in shallow surf but can confirm it is every bit the resistance bear to swing that you think it will be. But that doesn't stop me from using it. Areal coverage is my main reason. Sometimes I even think 'o no not another 12"+ target" when using the 17.

I find myself using the stock coil more than the 17" because the stock coil is quicker, easier, and more fun to pinpoint with.
but I know others who don't have any trouble pinpointing the 17.

Bill, its just as you'd expect; the more you pinpoint with the 17, the better you get at it. I just finished sweeping a couple of school fields with the 17". Those fields have a dense clay layer at 4-6" (so theres not much use in looking for depth), a surprisingly low amount of trash, and were pretty large, so I used the 17 for its greater areal coverage during most of May to clear those fields of clad(schools aren't old enough for silver coins) . By the end of the month, I'd gotten a lot better at pinpointing to the point that it seems strange to use the stock coil. :detecting:

the usb is the place it leaks and took me 3 years to get in the water found nothing and it leaked after all the prep :throw:

so anyway the moral to the story is for me want to go swimming get a swimming detector with less holes or should I say potential leak spots, nothing is perfect I know and if I had some good spots maybe I would buy a fisher but nope so nope, wet sand knee deep best salt detector , anywhere after that get the check book out :wave:

hey only my experience doesn't mean it happens to everyone but it happened to me.

AJ

Well, I spent half a day swinging the 17" yesterday, first on the beach and last couple hours wading. It was a lot easier to pinpoint with the coil than I thought it might be. I did not have my waterproof headphones with me so only got the unit about handle deep. There is resistance for sure but with a nice slow sweep not bad at all. No great finds but I can see the 17" becoming my favorite beach/water coil for the CTX. Thanks for the feedback.

You can't beat that coverage... I use it almost exclusively (on land) and love it..