Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

anything better than 10x12 coil?

goldbill

PLEASE I don't want to start a tread on all the hairy scary good and bad 10x12's. I bought mine 18 months ago and have loved it and used it hard ever since. I am constantly in brush wishing these had knives to cut it all ..Last week I thought to myself man this machine has never worked better. (I didn't think you could jinks yourself unless you SAID something out loud!) Well the last two days everything has gone downhill ..First emi seems to be everywhere in places I never experenced it before then last night I am in the deep woods and I have a real deep signal that I just cant nail down enough to dig .I try tx boost .(the only time I use it is on iffy deep signals) NADA overloads all the way down .I am pretty sure all my abuse has ruined this coil .So Is there anything out now better ???[ I wish I could have bought this from White's themselves' with there customer service I could be hopeful but with Kellyco not much...I am thinking I will be buying a new 10x12 .. Appreciate any thoughts any of you might have. Even with the "bad" coil on the way out I scored two indians in the same hole!!!!!!!! Thanks Goldbill

UPDATE Just spook with Kellyco rep. I was wrong and I bought it just one year and two weeks ago . The rep. said they wanted to talk to a supervisor Monday so maybe they can do something for me!! I am hopeful ..... Will keep you posted. Bill

I hope things work for you Bill. Mines older and when it goes that's it for mine.

Not in my opinion Bill. If you can't get satisfaction from Kellyco, appeal the case to JW from Kellyco, a moderator here on Finds. He is about as fair as he can be and still have a job at Kellyco. :biggrin:

A second choice is to check your connectors, it is usually the cord/coil connection that gets twisted and shorts out. It can sometimes be fixed by taking the cap off and straightening the cable out or soldering the wires together if it is broken.

Either way, good luck Bill.

THANKS Larry Will try that . I think I had better wait until Monday to see what Kellyco says before dismantling anything. If I had been sharper I would have realized I had a problem before my one year ran out. The emi came on suddenly in the middle of a hunt and I thought someone somewhere just fired up something big...The coil hasn't been right since and that damm Indian skunked my butt twice with that m6................O well that makes the hunting fun..He left his hunting boots in my truck and I gave him penny in one toe and a Dime in the other..I haven't laughed so much for 11 cents in my life..I can't wait to see him in the muck with those boots on. I'm thinking I should have invested 26 cents but too late now!!!!Obviously he doesn't read this web site ........Goldbill

Its funny I saw this thread. I got one of the 10x12 SEF coils in a trade and have only take it out twice and it seems to have a problem at the plug that plugs into the detector. It will not work unless I move the cable around in certain positions. I am assuming something is loose in the plug. How hard is it to take the plug off and check the wiring. There is no screw that I see. It seemed to work fine when I got it and I do believe the person I got it from is an honest guy and did not know of any issues when we traded.

Takes a second. Just move the little clip (detent). After you check the connections I separate the wires and fill the space with silicon. Keeps the wires separated and waterproof.

That was easy......Here is a picture but everything is so small that I couldn't tell if anything is bad or not.

Sorry didn't mean to hijack the thread.....When I turned the V3i on and was sweeping I was getting targets that were reading real deep like 11-12 inches. I got a good nickel signal and it said 11" deep. Turns out it was right on the surface. The pinpoint was real weak too. Maybe that is a clue as to what is happening. Too bad this wasn't the D2 coil. I know whites would take care of me. Come to find out the coil went out of warrant last month.......;o(

Do any of your other coils have this problem at the box? What does the other side look like of the above picture? I have had to fix a couple of them now.

None of the other coils have the problem at the box. I tested the D2 and the 4x6. Here are a few pic of the plug without the silicone on the wires.

With the silicone removed you should be able to hook the coil up and isolate the problem. You need to determine if it is the plug or a broken wire under the insulation.

Does it still overload with all wires separated? What are its symptoms now?

The symptoms are the detector acts like it cant see the coil. No pinpoint or ID.

Here is a picture. Seems like there is nothing connected to the number 3 pin. Don't know if this is normal or not?

The number 3 being cut is normal.

Do you have a volt meter? You need to check continuity between you solder points and your plug end with numbered female connectors. If its not there than its a broken wire. If you have a solder gun its an easy fix.

Since you take such good pictures, can you take a shot of the end of the connector showing the pin inputs? Do they all look normal?

Hi Bill_S, something doesn't look right with the wiring on that switchcraft connector. It looks like the wires may be shielded and the shielding is wrapped around the center conductor shorting it out. Since there are two coils there should be at least three connections on that connector assuming both coils share the same ground connection. The ground connection may be being made with the shields of the wires and outer shell strain relief assembly. It kind of looks like it's been re-worked (poorly).

No it looks perfectly normal.... I have one right here in front of me and it is wired correctly. The one grey wire running single strand gets split and soldered to 2 tabs. The other grey wire with black lead goes to 2 separate tabs. Everything is wired correctly and it was working until the failure of either wire or the female inserts.

Thanks for all the help. There must be a problem somewhere else. But I know its around the connector somewhere. Is there a place to buy another connector?

Google switchcraft , the manufacturer and look thru their catalog. They usually have pictures of the parts. Find the part number and you could probably order it from here:http://www.digikey.com/. I work in test engineering and have repaired more cables than I care to think about and if it's a cable problem the wires almost always break near the strain relief where the cable gets flexed the most. The indication is usually intermittent operation. If you have the skills to do the repair job I'd recommend cutting off 2 inches of the cable behind the strain relief (the part that crimps around the outer insulation) and carefully strip the wires and solder them to the new connector. Good luck.

Oops the hyperlink for where you could order the connector didn't take. You could probably order it here: www.digikey.com