Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Apex, 800, Simplex

itaska71

I was really getting excited about trying out the new Apex. I assumed it would be Garretts answer to the Nox800 and the Simplex. Just checked all the reviews assuming it would be water proof down to 10' like the others. Apparently I was wrong. Hard to believe they built a new detector and dident make it water proof like the competition. Any thoughts ?

itaska71: said:
I was really getting excited about trying out the new Apex. I assumed it would be Garretts answer to the Nox800 and the Simplex.
You're wanting to compare a $500 MSRP against $900 and $300 MSRP units.. An Apex that comes with a skinny 6X11" elliptical DD against to models that come with a round 11" DD coil. Already a bit unfair, but if you were to test them each, side-by-side with comparable settings, you might be surprised at the results. They all feature things like Volume Level adjustment and Iron Audio Volume adjustment, and they all have a display Backlight. Then things start to get different.

The more expensive Equinox 800 has a lot of other adjustable features .... for those who understand them and/or want them, that the Apex and Simplex + do not have. The least expensive of the three, the Simplex +, I compared on the Nail Boar Performance Test for a challenge to handle four Iron Nails and a US 1¢ coil, using the 5X9½ DD to compare with the Apex 6X11 DD and the Vanquish 540 w/5X8 DD and Equinox 800 w/6" and 11" DD. The winner was the Simplex +. What I'm hoping for is a smaller-size, round-shaped coil for both the Simplex + and Apex to see just how well they can deal with that challenge.

Just checked all the reviews assuming it would be water proof down to 10' like the others. Apparently I was wrong. Hard to believe they built a new detector and dident make it water proof like the competition.
Want a tip .... there are folks who plan to get into and under the water, or at least the control system, who want a submersible, waterproof detector. But these is a much greater number of Hobbyists and Avid Detectorists who are very satisfied to have a good land-based detector with only a waterproof coil for shallow water hunting. A much greater percentage, and with that detector design comes a model that is typically also lighter weight.

Any thoughts ?
Yes, other than what I already offered is the fact that if anyone is looking for a waterproof detector, there are already choices out there from Garrett, FTP, Minelab and Nokta / Makro. Given time, the new Apex should be a stand-alone 'seriss' and no doubt you'll find the new SMF and selectable single-frequency concept offered in a waterproof design. But for now, they brought a very decent product to market that will appeal to a lot of Coin Hunters and Beach Hunters, if they work all the dry sand and the shallow surf.

There you go, you have my 'thoughts of the moment.'

Monte

My guess is that the APEX is the first introduction to Garret's new version of a multiple frequency metal detector. As always, Garrett tries to make an affordable detector for most people, in a package containing a lot of technology. Things will only get better as new models get released containing this technology, plus other upgrades, probably including waterproofing. As the performance increases, so will the price. I hope they put the imaging feature which they had many years ago with the GTI Series.

gti.jpg

John-Edmonton said:
My guess is that the APEX is the first introduction to Garret's new version of a multiple frequency metal detector. As always, Garrett tries to make an affordable detector for most people, in a package containing a lot of technology. Things will only get better as new models get released containing this technology, plus other upgrades, probably including waterproofing. As the performance increases, so will the price.
Yes, Garrett has often put some thought into making models that are more universally accepted, have ample consumer appeal, and typically are priced a bit modestly for their market MSRP. The Apex should be a stand-alone introduction to a new 'series' to come and not tied in with the "entry-level" or "beginner" Ace series. I'd change that association as soon as I could. We have a very good Apex that doesn't really behave like the Ace series at all. Just build on their product line of new detectors for this new 'series.'

But in doing so, I wouldn't want the Imaging feature. I don't think it was all that popular with most people, and the GTI 2500 I had didn't work all that well, the standard Imaging coil was heavy and too big for a lot of hunt sites. They are on the right track with the Apex to provide a functional and versatile detector that is still 'simple' but has useful features. Especially the SMF and Selectable MF design in an excellent package. Now, bring on a smaller coil !!!

Monte

Thanks John and Monte
Yes, I have the Nox 800 and really dont care for it much. I had thoughts of replacing it with the Apex. I have used many land detectors over the years to shallow water hunt, but was always anxious about dropping it, and of course could not use them in shallow surf. I do have a Sand Shark for the surf. Earlier in the year, when I heard that the Apex would be coming to market I just assumed that the MAIN features would be Similar to the Nox & Simplex, thereby designed to compete with them. Oh well. LOL

Thanks Again Gentleman
Mark

"itaska71": I was really getting excited about trying out the new Apex. I assumed it would be Garretts answer to the Nox800 and the Simplex. Just checked all the reviews assuming it would be water proof down to 10' like the others. Apparently I was wrong. Hard to believe they built a new detector and dident make it water proof like the competition. Any thoughts ?
While "the competition" has made some waterproof detectors, not everyone wants or needs a waterproof unit. I own and use two Nokta / Makro Simplex + units because I like their physical design and what they offer in features and performance. I live near the Oregon / Idaho border and saltwater beaches are both far away and not where I usually enjoy hunting. We do have some freshwater sites and I hunt a lake or stream beach from time-to-time. Something like once or twice every ten years. I have several friends who also own and use a Simplex + and they are also urban Coin & Jewelry Hunters and get into Relic Hunting in ghost towns, old abandoned homestead and encampment sites, etc. They have other detectors, and for some the Simplx + is just handy to have in case they do work a watery area or there might be a rainy-day event.

I had a Minelab Equinox 800 that I parted with, but I am keeping and using my Vanquish 540 Pro Pack model. I does what I need it to do, and it didn't need to be waterproof to give me a good balance and comfortable model. Several friends and I have discussed different models we like, and all of us agree that we would like to see Nokta / Makro offer a new model or two as a land-based design for those of us who do not want or need a waterproof unit. Also, we would like to have user-replaceable batteries, be them AA alkaline or AA NiMH rechargeable.

Right now they do still offer the Racer 2 and Impact as non-submersible models, but I don't think they will be around much longer as the 'trend' for that manufacturer seems to be a submersible, waterproof approach as they see the market. Minelab brought out the two waterproof Equinox models, and then a couple of years later introduced a simpler and easy-to-use land-based Vanquish series. Garrett already have their three waterproof AT series models, so their approach to bringing out a new detector design for them was with a land-base Apex. I feel that was a good idea because it can be more affordable than a submersible model and therefore appeal to a bigger consumer audience. Then, using this new Apex design they can make a 'series' of Apex-based circuitry models to include a submersible unit. They can bring out model that have a few more adjustment features, for those who want or need them, but for now I thin Garrett took the right approach.

And there is a much larger buying public who are just fine with a land-based Apex. The main thing I want is a round-shaped smaller-size search coil for it. I know th Apex could have a few more 'modern' adjustment features, but the more I am using the Apex, the more I am liking what it does offer. It hasn't bumped any detector out of my group of units, but it is staying put as an additional model to have on-hand as I have found it has its place. And it is working better for m than I had thought it would.

Monte

Buddy, got a Nod 600 , light as a feather ,water proof. (Although I've heard of leak problems) Garrett known for Very dependable machines. I've owned them since 1999. Only couple send backs for repairs. On the other hand, Garrett made a colossal marketing mistake not making it good for 10 feet. The guys were wanting this. Can't believe they missed it. Oh. Well.

Going the water proof route does certainly enhance the chance for detector problems and failures, but Garrett does know how to do water proof as shown by the dependable A T Pro and Max. Good depth and target separation are important to the vast majority of us and being water proof is just a nice added bonus for any of us that do get to the beach a few times a year. Be it fresh water, salt, or both. HH jim tn

My guess is that the APEX is the first introduction to Garret's new version of a multiple frequency metal detector. As always, Garrett tries to make an affordable detector for most people, in a package containing a lot of technology. Things will only get better as new models get released containing this technology, plus other upgrades, probably including waterproofing. As the performance increases, so will the price. I hope they put the imaging feature which they had many years ago with the GTI Series.

View attachment 6943
I agree with you, John! I will never get rid of my GTI1500! On days I just want to dig nothing but coins, it is my go to unit!