Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Apex & 'Ripper' take on the woodshed.

Monte

When I moved here 5 years ago I had a few Elm trees cut down and four more trimmed. A lot of wood piles.:surrender: 2016 we moved my 12X20 carport to the back corner of my property, then I bought metal siding and Monte Jr. finished up enclosing this structure and adding a man-door. Meanwhile, we were busy with a couple of splitters attacking the mounds of cut-down trees and limbs, at which time my 12X20 carport became a 12X20 woodshed. It also became a useful year-round test garden because the wood was stacked around the sides which left the exposed middle dirt for planting-and-testing ... out of the snow, rain or cold winds.

Anyway, I let some folks get some wood for their stove, and just got a message to folks at church they are welcome to come get some wood to help out those who need it for this wintry cold we're having. The problem was that a lot of the wood-stacks started to end up all over the formerly open-space and I wanted to find-and-recover some of the planted targets before more activity gets them too buried. With the scattered wood in there it kind of resembled some fallen-down structures to fit around, and when it was 24° with a breeze, I enjoyed working my Ripper coil on the Apex inside and out of the nippiness.

Nothing great news here, I know, except this poster is satisfied there are no more silver coins or other test samples left out there now, and that even that search-time can be enjoyable with the comfortable Apex and their smaller-size 'Ripper' DD coil that fit in and around the scattered wood well and handled the mineralized dirt and rock-mix, also. With all the detectors I own that are hanging on my den wall when it is too cold outside to leave them in my vehicle, it was an easy-grab for me since the Apex is becoming my most-used detector, especially with the different coil sizes to fit the different site challenges. As winter progresses I sure get an urge to move to someplace that is a bit warmer and more welcoming to get out detecting during this cabin-fever season. All of those who enjoy such comforts I envy you right about now.

Well, 4:04 AM. Time to go add some of that wood to my own wood stove, fix some hot chocolate, and get ready for another cold day and watch for some lucky hunter's report of success afield.

Monte

Monte, have you ever thought of possibly writing a book about your adventures in metal detecting. I am sure with your experience and and a lifetime of finds it would make great reading to orher treasure hunters. If a book is not appealing what about a monthly story on one of the forum's. Reading about the experiences of a seasoned treasure hunter can be exciting. Thanks

Monte, have you ever thought of possibly writing a book about your adventures in metal detecting. I am sure with your experience and and a lifetime of finds it would make great reading to orher treasure hunters. If a book is not appealing what about a monthly story on one of the forum's. Reading about the experiences of a seasoned treasure hunter can be exciting. Thanks
I would love that! You are a gifted writer and excellent treasure hunter Monte.

Sometimes a technical book is a good sleep inducer. I’d rather read Huck Finn and imagine the thrill of the adventure!!! Often I think we learn more by associating with the scenario than simply reading it. Make sense??

I am curious how that 5" x 8" "Ripper" coil performs. I often use that size on my 3 x AT Series detectors. It gets nice depth proportionately to it's size. I can relate with you on how big those elm trees are. I have 3 in my back yard, and in the summer, they act as a shade canopy. Man, if I ever have those trees cut down, there should be enough wood to heat my house for quite some time. It's awful generous of you to give that wood away.

Started a book in '82 related to detectors and training. I plan to get back to finishing it, I hope, this winter. Technical? Yes, and even morso today as metal detectors have progressed since I started. Back in '82 when I started it, we still didn't have visual Target ID for another year!

I have also started working on the other aspect, A Life in this Great Metal Detecting Adventure, and it will have 'stories' so to speak, but many of which folks can learn from. This approach might be accomplished via an Internet site. I'll get with my youngest son, 39, on some approaches I might take in that direction during this holiday season.

Also trying to take care of my Personal History for my decedents. All of this I have procrastinated too long and now dealing with vision that slows my efforts down.:( But I am working on all of it. Thanks.

Monte

I am curious how that 5" x 8" "Ripper" coil performs. I often use that size on my 3 x AT Series detectors. It gets nice depth proportionately to it's size. I can relate with you on how big those elm trees are. I have 3 in my back yard, and in the summer, they act as a shade canopy. Man, if I ever have those trees cut down, there should be enough wood to heat my house for quite some time. It's awful generous of you to give that wood away.
John, both the 'Ripper' and 'Raider' coils are surprising me, and a lot of that is due to how the Apex works. Folks need to watch a video and listen to their engineer when he states the Apex isn't an Ace-series technology ... and it definitely isn't. I wish Garrett would erase any reference to the Ace series with it as the Apex can stand lone as a 'series' starter of its own. The 'Ripper' can handle some dense trash a bit better than the 'Raider' but the 'Raider' coil takes on a lot of it quite well, until l it gets really dense. Then there's the benefit of detection-depth in more open areas that don't have a lot of shallower trash to mask targets and the 'Raider' coil can squeeze out a little more depth on coin-size targets. However, that doesn't mean the 'Ripper' is a weakling, because it surprises me in that department as well. Both very good coils, but the secret in the mix is the abilities of the Apex circuitry design. Especially with the 'Ripper' and 'Raider' coils the Apex quickly became my favorite grab-and-hunt detector. I might tote several with me, and two other brands/models are very close 2nd's, but when I get to a site and open the door. the Apex is the first to come out and play the vast majority of the time.

Monte

Started a book in '82 related to detectors and training. I plan to get back to finishing it, I hope, this winter. Technical? Yes, and even morso today as metal detectors have progressed since I started. Back in '82 when I started it, we still didn't have visual Target ID for another year!

I have also started working on the other aspect, A Life in this Great Metal Detecting Adventure, and it will have 'stories' so to speak, but many of which folks can learn from. This approach might be accomplished via an Internet site. I'll get with my youngest son, 39, on some approaches I might take in that direction during this holiday season.

Also trying to take care of my Personal History for my decedents. All of this I have procrastinated too long and now dealing with vision that slows my efforts down.:( But I am working on all of it. Thanks.

Monte
Thanks Monte, hope everything works out. Years go by quickly and life does get in the way. Your detecting adventures would be a history lesson well worth reading.Thank you

Thanks Monte, hope everything works out. Years go by quickly and life does get in the way. Your detecting adventures would be a history lesson well worth reading.Thank you
Winter is arriving. It's been too blasted cols, and not the weather folks say we might reach 41° Friday. If so, Apex 3/'Ripper' and Monte w/warm coat are going to try and get in our last hunt fo the year. They forecast snow Friday night and off-and-on through next Wednesday, at least, with continued cold night. Most of the ghost towns I like to hunt will not be accessible until close the the first of April, if snow is gone up there, ore the closest town might be huntable by March. Maybe favorable weather will let us get into it or a POW camps, Japanese Internment Camp or a couple of other places by mid-February .... if we get some warm, early-spring weather. So that gives me a couple of months now to get busy on some book-work. Keep the wood-box full and maybe spend less time on the internet sites.

I hope your season is merry and you have an opportunity to get out hunting.

Monte

When I moved here 5 years ago I had a few Elm trees cut down and four more trimmed. A lot of wood piles.:surrender: 2016 we moved my 12X20 carport to the back corner of my property, then I bought metal siding and Monte Jr. finished up enclosing this structure and adding a man-door. Meanwhile, we were busy with a couple of splitters attacking the mounds of cut-down trees and limbs, at which time my 12X20 carport became a 12X20 woodshed. It also became a useful year-round test garden because the wood was stacked around the sides which left the exposed middle dirt for planting-and-testing ... out of the snow, rain or cold winds.

Anyway, I let some folks get some wood for their stove, and just got a message to folks at church they are welcome to come get some wood to help out those who need it for this wintry cold we're having. The problem was that a lot of the wood-stacks started to end up all over the formerly open-space and I wanted to find-and-recover some of the planted targets before more activity gets them too buried. With the scattered wood in there it kind of resembled some fallen-down structures to fit around, and when it was 24° with a breeze, I enjoyed working my Ripper coil on the Apex inside and out of the nippiness.

Nothing great news here, I know, except this poster is satisfied there are no more silver coins or other test samples left out there now, and that even that search-time can be enjoyable with the comfortable Apex and their smaller-size 'Ripper' DD coil that fit in and around the scattered wood well and handled the mineralized dirt and rock-mix, also. With all the detectors I own that are hanging on my den wall when it is too cold outside to leave them in my vehicle, it was an easy-grab for me since the Apex is becoming my most-used detector, especially with the different coil sizes to fit the different site challenges. As winter progresses I sure get an urge to move to someplace that is a bit warmer and more welcoming to get out detecting during this cabin-fever season. All of those who enjoy such comforts I envy you right about now.

Well, 4:04 AM. Time to go add some of that wood to my own wood stove, fix some hot chocolate, and get ready for another cold day and watch for some lucky hunter's report of success afield.

Monte
Good ol Monte - nice to see you again!